Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2019, 09:51 PM

11 posts, read 10,957 times

Advertisements

Just got back from visiting Santa Fe. Went to Meow Wolf House of Eternal Return one afternoon. Great place by the way. Very different. When I was purchasing my ticket they asked if I lived in New Mexico. I said no I live in AZ so they charged me $30. The 2018 guide book had the price at $10 cheaper. Anyone know if it is customary in SF that tourist places charge people living out of state higher prices? I experienced dual pricing in Europe where places would charge tourists more than locals but never in the US. Also went to a restaurant near my hotel and the prices listed on the menu were substantially higher than the prices on their website. Wonder if they give non-local menus different than locals. Guess they could tell I wasn't a local. This was the first time I went to SF. I have visited Las Cruces a couple of times and like it a lot better. When I was at the Railyard District in SF I was looking for a place to park near the Site Santa Fe area. Parked outside a realty office and as I was getting out of my car a parking lot woman appears out of nowhere telling me it costs $7 to park there. She was rather snitty saying SF had no free parking anywhere even though the parking lot was almost empty and the store fronts looked deserted. Luckily I had plenty of quarters and parked off the street so I got to look around some before my time and quarters expired. Saw lots of pretentious shops and galleries in the area with not so great merchandise charging exorbitant prices and hardly any customers. I wonder if they survive mainly from parking revenue. Stayed in a hotel on Cerillos. The hotel was fine and had a good rate. Not so sure about the street. Was approached at the gas station by a young guy who was wanting gas money to get back to ABQ. Apparently he was wasting all his gas moving his car back and forth asking people for gas money. All in all I didn't like the vibe that I got while I was there. Outside the downtown and art districts the rest of the town seemed really run down and not attractive. The parking lots were small and full of potholes. Anyway, was much more impressed with Las Cruces. This is meant to be only a review based on my experience for a limited time frame. Other people may have had a completely different impression while they were there and loved SF. I was visiting to see if I may want to move there. The rental prices are really high and they have a very limited amount of affordable housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 10:17 PM

681 posts, read 1,207,350 times
Resident pricing is not at all uncommon in areas that see a lot of tourism. Many hotels and other venues where I currently live (Alaska) have lower rates for residents.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:44 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco777 View Post
Just got back from visiting Santa Fe. Went to Meow Wolf House of Eternal Return one afternoon. Great place by the way. Very different. When I was purchasing my ticket they asked if I lived in New Mexico. I said no I live in AZ so they charged me $30.
From their web page:
Meow Wolf
https://santafe.meowwolf.com/tickets/

Admission Tickets:

Quote:
General
$29.00
$24.00 - NM residents
Children
ages 13 and under
$21.00
$17.00 - NM residents
Seniors/Military
seniors - ages 65 and up
$25.00
$22.00 - NM residents
Children ages three and under enjoy free admission!

Old 05-05-2019, 08:51 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,233,865 times
You could take the original post and substitute any city and place and get the same results.

In San Diego, the first Tuesday of every month museums in Balboa Park are free to SD residents. Tourists always get charged.

This is not a NM only 'thing'.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:01 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
You could take the original post and substitute any city and place and get the same results.

In San Diego, the first Tuesday of every month museums in Balboa Park are free to SD residents. Tourists always get charged.

This is not a NM only 'thing'.
That's because most museums are state institutions, or are supported by the state to some extent, so local taxpayers get the freebies. That doesn't explain the rest of it.

OP, I visited SF annually for years, before moving here, After I moved here, the restaurant prices were the same as before. How would they know if I was a resident or not? Or if my status had changed? No one ever asked me if I was local or out-of-state. Not back then, before I moved, and not now. Well, in the last two years, in a couple of shops downtown, the staff asked me, but it's because they want to know if they're attracting locals (who tend to avoid shopping downtown), or mostly tourists.

I've never been to Meow Wolf. One thing I like about Santa Fe, is that the Motel 6 doesn't double or triple their prices in summer and on weekends, like so many Motel 6'es and other budget hotels do. The two on Cerrillos only vary in price about $15 between winter and summer rat4es, or weekends, whatever. Even at the height of summer, during the big draw events downtown, they don't jack up the price. I wish more motels operated that way.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:06 PM

344 posts, read 346,869 times
Some places that get funding from state property, income or sales taxes have lower rates for the residents who are already paying via their taxes.

You have have reciprocity via lower rates for certain attractions in Arizona. For example, FLW's Taliesin West house was recently 50% off for AZ residents. AZ Cardinals tickets go on sale early for AZ residents.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:27 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,233,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's because most museums are state institutions, or are supported by the state to some extent, so local taxpayers get the freebies. That doesn't explain the rest of it.

OP, I visited SF annually for years, before moving here, After I moved here, the restaurant prices were the same as before. How would they know if I was a resident or not? Or if my status had changed? No one ever asked me if I was local or out-of-state. Not back then, before I moved, and not now. Well, in the last two years, in a couple of shops downtown, the staff asked me, but it's because they want to know if they're attracting locals (who tend to avoid shopping downtown), or mostly tourists.

I've never been to Meow Wolf. One thing I like about Santa Fe, is that the Motel 6 doesn't double or triple their prices in summer and on weekends, like so many Motel 6'es and other budget hotels do. The two on Cerrillos only vary in price about $15 between winter and summer rat4es, or weekends, whatever. Even at the height of summer, during the big draw events downtown, they don't jack up the price. I wish more motels operated that way.
Whatever, the fact remains that many cities have different prices for different venues for residents vs tourists.

Get over it.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:01 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Whatever, the fact remains that many cities have different prices for different venues for residents vs tourists.

Get over it.
Get over what? I'm not the OP. I addressed one of the OP's examples--restaurant prices, and agreed about museum admission pricing.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:44 PM

11 posts, read 10,957 times
Recently moved from Florida. They had discounts for season tickets to Disney for in state residents but in going to museums never asked at the ticket window what state I lived. Museums in Europe, especially eastern europe, would have dual pricing for citizens and foreigners. First time I've been asked at the ticket window. Oh well, guess I should have checked their web page instead of the out of date guide book. Nevermind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe