Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 09:42 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,374,752 times

Advertisements

Hi, all.

I have lived in Santa Fe (only for two years, 1984-1985), and I visit pretty regularly. I love it there, and we consider retiring there (although that is years off, I believe). But whenever I consider retiring there, I get nervous when I think about the long-term availability of water. I am not worried about, or talking about, gardening; I'm talking about sufficient water for drinking and cooking, and (frugal) household use. I have done only a preliminary search into this problem, and came across a 2010 article in the New Mexican (Report: N.M. may face water shortage in 2050 - The Santa Fe New Mexican).

We have lived in Austin, where the drought and water shortage gave me MUCH greater cause for concern than it seemed to do for many of those around me. Now we live in Chicago, and while it feels like a luxury to be next to a huge body of water, Lake Michigan is also below its record low level (What). So the problem is everywhere.

I am just "putting out feelers" by this post, to ask what others think about this potential problem for Santa Fe? Am I overreacting, or over-thinking the problem? Or is there perhaps an undercurrent of nervousness about this? Do you get the sense that there is any sort of "plan" in place to address this?

I would love to be told that there is nothing to worry about, as long as we're frugal (we already use dual-flush toilets, for instance), so please don't think I WANT to be right to worry about this. On the contrary, it would be great to be assured by knowledgeable-sounding folks that this is going to be fine.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 10:25 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
I get nervous when I think about the long-term availability of water. I am not worried about, or talking about, gardening; I'm talking about sufficient water for drinking and cooking, and (frugal) household use.

I am just "putting out feelers" by this post, to ask what others think about this potential problem for Santa Fe?
I heard of the water shortage problems in the 60's while playing U.S. Army games at White Sands... We survived... Then Arizona... etc. I have had three life threatening events, (I died, doctors said no I didn't, just jfbcjsy bdgsjdy...) then we moved out here for good in 1998, and my wife retired this year, and we are frugal with water...

Quote:
I would love to be told that there is nothing to worry about,
I have nothing to worry about...

Come on out!

Old 02-04-2013, 12:39 PM

974 posts, read 2,344,735 times
Gemini1963 - While you may be overreacting, the fact is that several parts of this country, including the southwest, are in a period of drought. But pick your poison; other parts are facing increasingly severe weather, and a map in the NY Times a couple of months ago showed which parts of coastal cities and areas would be permanently under water within the next 50 years if global warming continued on its current trajectory.

Santa Fe County has some of the most progressive water conservation programs in the country. Will we have challenges due to continued drought? - most probably we will. But, as long as population growth is contained and conservation efforts continue, I would rather live here than in most other places. And no, I don't detect an "undercurrent of nervousness" about this - but many are concerned, and that's a good thing as it helps us put controls in place to assure sustainability into the future.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:55 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,374,752 times
Thank you both very much for taking the time to respond! I really appreciate it!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:28 PM

5 posts, read 17,186 times
also make certain you have your water tested by at least two independant labs out of state...my friend bough a house on old pecos trail and the water had 1,000 the amt of contaminants...he ended up spending thousands to dig a new well...also another friend up near st johns....proliferation of water softener equips in some of the house messed up water table...fyi

Old 02-25-2013, 10:44 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosellajoe View Post
also make certain you have your water tested by at least two independant labs out of state...my friend bough a house on old pecos trail and the water had 1,000 the amt of contaminants...he ended up spending thousands to dig a new well...also another friend up near st johns....proliferation of water softener equips in some of the house messed up water table...fyi
Your friends?

Yes, new wells can cost $20,000 to $25,000 easily...

If you did not know, New Mexico has a lot of natural occurring minerals/elements such as arsenic, radium, fluorite.... Many of those minerals are stunning!!! Just take a gander at these: Mineral Gallery from New Mexico

No, you do not have too be so paranoid as to send two water samples out of state... If you fear, Never mind....

Old 05-01-2013, 06:22 AM

802 posts, read 984,752 times
Santa Fe Reporter, Joey Peters (April 16, 2013):

Water Fight: As developers scramble for approval, critics worry about water

Santa Fe, and New Mexico at large, seems very aware of their serious water situation,
but the struggles to solve the shortages are apparent every day. The long-term outlook
is dire, until El Nino in the Pacific Ocean re-appears to relieve the drought. All of the rivers
and streams are over-subscribed for the current flows and the underground aquifers are
depleting rapidly. Many forecasts out to 20 years and beyond are talking about a new dust bowl
in the southern plains.

On the other hand, southwestern cities continue to grow in the midst of water shortages,
apparently able to somehow sustain that growth with diminishing water supplies. The developers appear to be oblivious to the shortages. Many people live their daily lives without water worries, other than occasional restrictions on lawn watering. Many who learn about the problem just
assume that urban water can be continue to be diverted from agricultural water for the foreseeable future. Meanwhile, farmers are leaving fields fallow and ranchers are selling off their livestock. Many are just giving up and selling out, as their children leave the land to take city jobs.

Of course, it might just be a case of mass delusional denial which may come to a crushing
conclusion in a few decades. Like the federal deficit, nuclear proliferation and overpopulation, its just another problem to shuffle down the road for our children to deal with. Good luck with that, kids!

Last edited by highplainsrus; 05-01-2013 at 06:47 AM..

Old 05-01-2013, 01:07 PM

102,225 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Hi, all.

I have lived in Santa Fe (only for two years, 1984-1985), and I visit pretty regularly. I love it there, and we consider retiring there (although that is years off, I believe). But whenever I consider retiring there, I get nervous when I think about the long-term availability of water. I am not worried about, or talking about, gardening; I'm talking about sufficient water for drinking and cooking, and (frugal) household use. I have done only a preliminary search into this problem, and came across a 2010 article in the New Mexican (Report: N.M. may face water shortage in 2050 - The Santa Fe New Mexican).

We have lived in Austin, where the drought and water shortage gave me MUCH greater cause for concern than it seemed to do for many of those around me. Now we live in Chicago, and while it feels like a luxury to be next to a huge body of water, Lake Michigan is also below its record low level (What). So the problem is everywhere.

I am just "putting out feelers" by this post, to ask what others think about this potential problem for Santa Fe? Am I overreacting, or over-thinking the problem? Or is there perhaps an undercurrent of nervousness about this? Do you get the sense that there is any sort of "plan" in place to address this?

I would love to be told that there is nothing to worry about, as long as we're frugal (we already use dual-flush toilets, for instance), so please don't think I WANT to be right to worry about this. On the contrary, it would be great to be assured by knowledgeable-sounding folks that this is going to be fine.

Thank you!
Any water shortage so dire that you wouldn't have water to drink or cook with is a very long way off, if it ever happens. But if you're concerned about it, consider moving to Taos. There's a lot more water there, and it's a beautiful town.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:08 PM

8 posts, read 17,267 times
Personally I don't drink the city tap water. I'd love to know why it smells funny, comes out of the tap looking opaque white, and kills my plants when I water them with it...

Seriously, I'd love to know. Anyone else having the same issue? It's like this everywhere I've lived within city limits, as well as at friends houses, and some local establishments.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:59 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Famous View Post
Personally I don't drink the city tap water. I'd love to know why it smells funny, comes out of the tap looking opaque white, and kills my plants when I water them with it...

Seriously, I'd love to know. Anyone else having the same issue? It's like this everywhere I've lived within city limits, as well as at friends houses, and some local establishments.
Sometimes the water in Santa Fe gets air trapped in it. If you let it sit out for a while the air will dissipate and it will be clear. I've never heard of it killing houseplants unless you don't use the proper amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe