Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:29 PM

475 posts, read 900,822 times

Advertisements

The newest recycling trend has come to south east Michigan.They let you put EVERYTHING in one bin including pizza boxes,glass,plastic ,all papers...
A truck pulls up next to the bin you wheeled to the curb and the trucks robotic arm picks it up and dumps it in the truck. In addition the recycling company mails you coupon rewards .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 05:17 AM

481 posts, read 943,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachymom View Post
It was nice meeting you, too! I told my daughter that you have a daughter her age and she would love to meet her.

I'm very interested in your T-mop since I clean everything with vinegar and there is so much space to cover, and I clean the floors very often. Where can I get one?

Thanks for the heads up about pizza boxes....who doesn't recycle pizza boxes????? Crazy! Can I take them somewhere myself?
Maybe we could come up with a play date sometime

A T-mop is hard to find around here. Alot of people make them and here are the instructions for that.

Quote:
It's better if you make one yourself. The wooden ones they sell at the stores don't last and cost upwards of $15.00. Here's how to make one.
1. Go to Home Depo ant buy a 1-inch, schedule 40 PVC pipe. They come in 10-foot lengths. Buy one T-connector, and three end caps.
2. Cut in half
3. One of the 5-foot lengths will be your handle
4. Cut two 1-foot lengths from the other 5-footer
5. Use PVC glue to make a T using the 5-foot handle and the two one-footers using the T connector.
6. Use the end caps to terminate the handle and bottom portion.
7. Don't forget to use PVC adhesive for added strength.
It's a very Green way to clean. I thought this link was cute on how to make one from recycled material.
How to Save Money by Mopping Green with a Cuban Mop | eHow.com

If you ever go down to Miami you can get one for $4 at the Cuban dollar store Navarro.

And yeah the pizza box thing is a bit of a pain. If it's one box sometimes they are OK with it. Same with cereal boxes. You're not suppossed to recycle them but if you break 'em down, they will take them. Oh, and if you call them they will come and pick up your moving bowes and paper that you ahve left over but you have to make an appointment for it ahead of time.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:54 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,235 times
Interesting to know about the pizza boxes..and I guess I have a lot to learn myself about spiders!!! Just for the record, beachy-I think you are in Manatee County in Mandalay...

Old 07-15-2010, 02:05 PM

477 posts, read 987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
Maybe we could come up with a play date sometime

A T-mop is hard to find around here. Alot of people make them and here are the instructions for that.

It's a very Green way to clean. I thought this link was cute on how to make one from recycled material.
How to Save Money by Mopping Green with a Cuban Mop | eHow.com

If you ever go down to Miami you can get one for $4 at the Cuban dollar store Navarro.

And yeah the pizza box thing is a bit of a pain. If it's one box sometimes they are OK with it. Same with cereal boxes. You're not suppossed to recycle them but if you break 'em down, they will take them. Oh, and if you call them they will come and pick up your moving bowes and paper that you ahve left over but you have to make an appointment for it ahead of time.
Thanks! I am gonna try it. I wonder how the towel stays in place but I'm sure I'll figure it out. LOL!

Old 07-15-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
Interesting to know about the pizza boxes..and I guess I have a lot to learn myself about spiders!!! Just for the record, beachy-I think you are in Manatee County in Mandalay...
Palmer Ranch~Hamptons...

Old 07-15-2010, 06:46 PM

Okay, how about a sweeper? My piddley one is terrible, especially around corners and such.

I used to have the BEST thing for sweeping hard floors. It was a canister vacuum with an awesome attachment. I think I got it from Sears, I may have to get another one but I would love something smaller that would do the job...

Old 07-15-2010, 07:46 PM

879 posts, read 1,953,828 times
oh beachy... all this talk is really making me want to find a cleaning lady asap!! i've never had 3 bathrooms, i don't think i will be cut out for all that cleaning.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:58 PM

oh, jnanner! I feel like I'm in heaven now since we've downsized, I think I can handle it. We'll see.... And I'm loving having one story.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:29 PM

419 posts, read 907,259 times
Ha!---that pizza box policy is odd! In Illinois I fill those recycling bins to the brim with pizza boxes and beer bottles - they take it all!

Old 07-16-2010, 01:01 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,440 times
I think in many instances, the recycling people will take everything in the bins but when the contents get to the sorting facility, the items not acceptable are disposed of. I find down here, the guys aren't afraid to just remove what isn't accepted if they see it & leave it in your yard.

In IN, I used to put items in the bins that I later found out weren't accepted but they took them anyway. The local trash/recycling websites will have detailed lists of what is recycleable & what is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area