Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 01:39 AM

20 posts, read 37,946 times

Advertisements

Hi guys , we are a english family ,two children aged 11 and 13. we are moving to the sarasota area in the new year. we are apprehensive and would like to know how any other brits have settled in the area . ps visas have been sorted out , just waiting for our green cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 01:53 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,153,717 times
just dont say its cheaper in Fl !!!!!!!!! :-)

Old 10-05-2010, 07:18 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,092,956 times
I is less expensive in florida. I'm not british - I'm better. :-) LOL. OK, kidding aside.

There are a lot of British people over here. You'll make friends quickly, and they will help you assimilate and learn the ropes. It is a normal part of the process to be a little nervous, everyone goes through that when they move. Almost everyone on this board has moved, and understands that it is quite the process, and your life style will change. Its good to be apprehensive, it keeps you on your toes, and gives you something to talk about over a beer with me. :-) Sorry, had to throw that in there.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:41 AM

20 posts, read 37,946 times
Thats kind of you guys, its strange because i thought everything in fl was very expensive !!! just kidding !!! oh that beer sounds good.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:26 AM

152 posts, read 622,911 times
My husband and I are British and have been in the US for 7 years now. We divide our time between Florida and Asheville in North Carolina.
Expect it to be different and my advise would be is to make friends because you like them not because they are the same nationality as you. Far too often British people stick together trying to create a little Britain within another country. Then they all sit and moan about 'how its not the same' as the UK. No its not but they way I look at it is it was my decision to move to the US so I have to try and fit in with the American people and not the other way around.
Your children will not have the same pressure they have to grow up quickly in the UK. Children are kids longer here, its nice to see. And there is no nicer life for kids than being close to such beautiful water and beaches. What a way to grow up.
There will be days that you miss the UK terribly, it is your home after all but my suggestion would be is too drive down to the beach, grab a beer , sit in the sand and think 'seriously what could be better than this!'. It works nearly every time.
As for the costs you earn in dollars so dont try and convert everything back to sterling. It will tie you in knots. Think like a resident and not a tourist. Live within your means and you will be fine.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:06 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,747,431 times
Diddy02, I'm not a Brit but rarely have I ever read better advice than yours! Nice job!

Old 10-05-2010, 07:00 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,635,992 times
Been here 12 years and agree 100% with Diddy
Do not fall for the herding instinct and remember there are more places to see in the State of Florida than Disney Land and Sarasota. Go North and east and there are hills and history and cooler weather

Old 10-06-2010, 09:00 PM

383 posts, read 1,024,616 times
My next-door neighbors are Brits but I dont hold that against them! they have been in FLA. for 13YRS. and mostly keep to themselves.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:49 AM

810 posts, read 1,182,583 times
Diddy, very well stated.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:28 AM

21 posts, read 53,120 times
I was born in England and lived there until I was 10 when my parents moved us to Sarasota (my Mom interviewed for a job while we were on vacation and got it). I am now 29. The transition went fairly well but I did lose my accent quickly in order to fit in with the other kids. My accent was a novelty and constantly mentioned. All kids at that age just want to fit in. We were ahead of the other kids academically when we arrived by about a grade level, so my parents sent us to a private school intitially. All of my family is still in England except for my parents (who are divorced and remarried) and my brother (who lives in Atlanta). I am now married with kids of my own and we have actually discussed moving back to England (my husband actually wants to more than me I think!) but I don't think it will ever happen...I don't know how my parents did it. The thought of starting over scares me even though it would be easier for me than it was for my parents due to having family over there. They knew one person here when they moved...the person that hired my Mom. I love Sarasota and it feels like home, but I also love when I get to go home to England too. Florida isn't 'me' (hate the hot weather and don't like the beach except for a walk) and I didn't choose to live here, my parents did, but my life is here now so I'll make the best of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area