Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 11:22 AM

386 posts, read 1,016,565 times

Advertisements

While websurfing,I discovered a neat website about all things Florida. Check it out...AuthenticFlorida.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 11:50 AM

17,555 posts, read 39,200,231 times
Neat website! Thanks for posting!

Old 03-02-2011, 03:52 PM

386 posts, read 1,016,565 times
Your welcome!

Old 08-01-2011, 12:11 PM

182 posts, read 273,260 times
my friend, "authentic" Florida is long, long gone.....when I first went to FLA in 1960, the Gulf Coast was a sleepy little town, and the entire State had 2 million citizens....now it is what, 17 million?

Gone are the little pink cottages I used to stay in, and the sand swept roads...

northern folks went to FLA in the winter....but could not bear the blast furnace heat the other part of the year

air conditioning changed that, beginning in the 1960s, and today the Gulf Coast is one big strip shopping center, punctuated by small-lot housing developments
[aside of course from the abodes of the rich, who visit for just the winter]

i lament the passing of Authentic Florida, it was a nice place to visit....during the 3 pleasant months...

Old 08-01-2011, 04:59 PM

518 posts, read 1,232,972 times
When i was a kid I used to ride my mini bike out of our house near the beach on sand key fl. My dad bought Beers for a nickle.You didn't have to pay to park at the beach. Gas wars were going on and I could buy a gallon of gas at the local shell station for two returned coke bottles or 10 cents a gallon. Most of the beach streets were oiled dirt. The taxes were almost nothing and the state had no debt or crime. The only bad thing was most people didn't have ac yet. That was the good old days of Florida beach life. Oh by the way I am not that old either. The way I see it today you have to own your own island now a days to get that back.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:02 PM

879 posts, read 1,955,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ess.ess.ess.esq. View Post
my friend, "authentic" Florida is long, long gone.....when I first went to FLA in 1960, the Gulf Coast was a sleepy little town, and the entire State had 2 million citizens....now it is what, 17 million?

Gone are the little pink cottages I used to stay in, and the sand swept roads...

northern folks went to FLA in the winter....but could not bear the blast furnace heat the other part of the year

air conditioning changed that, beginning in the 1960s, and today the Gulf Coast is one big strip shopping center, punctuated by small-lot housing developments

i lament the passing of Authentic Florida, it was a nice place to visit....during the 3 pleasant months...
whoo hoo! Air conditioning! High five!!! anybody?...oh

Well, Times Square ain't what it used to be either.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:44 PM

89 posts, read 105,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ess.ess.ess.esq. View Post

Has the town you lived in changed since 1960 ?

Old 08-01-2011, 08:39 PM

518 posts, read 1,232,972 times
My area has not changed by much since the 60's at all around the Colorado high country. Not much up at 10,000 feet except animals with 4 legs. It was much more busy in the 1800's with gold and silver than it is now. That is why I like it in the Summer time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area