Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 AM

241 posts, read 480,153 times

Advertisements

Now I know I can't realize exactly how and when this house was used previously, but the records show the previous owners were from the United Kingdom. Knowing that they could only stay here for only 6 months at a time, I am wondering just what they did for security without a system or hurricane shutters? The place shows signs of use such as impression marks in carpet where furniture had been and you can tell the appliances in the kitchen had been used, so it's not like it sat vacant AND unfurnished while they owned it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 08:40 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,152,641 times
form the Uk they may not even have been able to do 6 months. on the tourist visa waiver its 90 days at a time max.

we were in the same position -left our home unatended for months.fortunatley never had a problem

Old 03-19-2012, 09:01 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
The former owners could have rented it out.

Find out about a good lock for the outdoor AC unit.

I never heard of hurricane shutters used as a security item.

Keep in mind, you will have homeowner's insurance to cover all these things.

Likely the only reason those thefts occurred was because the home was unkept and vacant and in foreclosure.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:27 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,374,769 times
My opinion is that if you love the home, don't have a real problem with being secluded just go for it. Get yourself a security system, leave lights on when you are not home and maybe a dog with a good strong bark. I really think others hit it on the head with the crooks knowing no one lived there. Of course your peace of mind is what is the most important so decide with your head and not your heart.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:35 AM

287 posts, read 590,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbl39 View Post
I am buying a foreclosed home as my permanent residence. The AC and pool equipment were ripped out and a slider was broken and the washer dryer and stove were literally ripped out from the walls. (The dishwasher and microwave are still there)As the rest of the home is actually in excellent condition, I assume these items were stolen and not ripped out by a disgruntled former homeowner.

This home is in Port Charlotte in an unpopulated area. This is the only house on the street and it is on a canal. A few people have told me that once the home becomes occupied again, there shouldn't be a worry as to thieves coming back as they are more interested in unoccupied homes so they can get in and out unnoticed.

Am I right or wrong to be concerned that thieves would come back once new equipment is installed? I know no one can predict exactly what will happen, but since there are no neighbors, and the street is remote, it still would be easy. On the other hand this home does not have a security system nor hurricane shutters currently..so when no one was around daily(at work) or long term there was nothing to stop thieves then either.

I am at a quandary as to whether I should install a security system and/or cages around my outdoor equipment. I just moved from outside Philly, PA and I never had a security system before but lived in a more populated area where people did lock their homes . However if I left my car unlocked or forgot to lock the back door...I wasn't overly concerned and never had a problem. So what do you think?
Befriend an alligator from the canal and train it to attack when meat comes looking for metal.

Or do it the easy way, buy this, chip off the base and relocate him every morning near your equipment.

Clothing, Toys, Electronics, Jewelry, Jaclyn Smith - Kmart.com

or this one below . If you're unlucky they'll steal "Ally" too..
and hang a camera in a tree which sends photos of that area to your cell phone every 15 minutes. Call the heat if they start teasing the Alligator (checking if it's alive). Use motion sense lights at night.
Attached Thumbnails
question about security after buying a foreclosed home-alli.jpg  

Old 03-19-2012, 02:43 PM

378 posts, read 629,554 times
I am with NPhomeowner. If you love the house and got a really good deal, go for it. Insurance covers most things but my feeling is that if the house looks occupied and cared for the local rip off artists will stay away.
Also, I think you are right about the shutters. They can be a deterrent to casual theft. If you buy the concertina type you can easily slide them closed if you are leaving the house for a period of time. If you are full time at the house, they can be kept closed in some rooms as they act as a good sun barrier as well.
Good luck and welcome to Port Charlotte, home of the guard alligators.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:12 PM

241 posts, read 480,153 times
A guard alligator! Silly me why didn't i think of that?

Old 03-19-2012, 06:28 PM

287 posts, read 590,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbl39 View Post
A guard alligator! Silly me why didn't i think of that?
Because WPR has the quicker, better solutions to all problems! But please do adjunct with the camera/cellphone because your burglar can be a crocodile dundee type.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:41 AM

173 posts, read 391,492 times
I tend to worry about being too predictable... I work 8 to 5 Monday through Friday. So I found some roommates that have less predictable schedules. They work at home... so there is generally a car and someone around.

Rather interesting how many door to door salesmen (windows, security system, tree trimming, etc. )circulate here. I wonder if they are just checking to see if anyone is at home.

I agree with previous posters. Generally the thieves are opportunists. They don't want to deal with people... just marketable goods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area