Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 04:50 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times

Advertisements

I whole-heartedly disagree about Bonefish - we have always had GREAT meals there and been going there for years. And we never spend what Rushmore does, but then we get salads (no apps) meals under $20 ea., no desserts and usually the happy hour wine or something reasonable. Our bill is usually in the $70 range. Food always fresh, service great, nice ambiance. No complaints whatsoever. They have good steaks too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 04:59 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I whole-heartedly disagree about Bonefish - we have always had GREAT meals there and been going there for years. And we never spend what Rushmore does, but then we get salads (no apps) meals under $20 ea., no desserts and usually the happy hour wine or something reasonable. Our bill is usually in the $70 range. Food always fresh, service great, nice ambiance. No complaints whatsoever. They have good steaks too!
I love their Bang Bang Shrimp

Old 04-01-2014, 05:06 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
For the size of the town and the number of restaurant choices I find the majority of them to be inconsistent at best. But I can understand how, at first glance, you would be impressed with the variety.

There are very few places that are decent every time we go. And a $125 crappy meal sure puts you off going back. Off the top of my head the places that are almost always on my A+ list are:

Lucky Pelican (LWR)
Louies Modern (downtown SRQ) And Hyde Park is pretty good there too.
PattieGeorges & Euphemia Haye (Longboat)
Tandoor (University Parkway)
Simon's on 41 (lunch)
Cafe L'Europe & Columbia (St. Armands)
Flemings and Ruth's Chris (41)

I'm sure I'm forgetting some...

Also for casual burgers I am into Square One but that could be because they have the best Chocolate Martini known to mankind.

I would not eat dinner at places like The Chart House or Marina Jacks again. You make that mistake ONCE.

We go to Bone Fish quite a lot but I consider it a place to take the kids - certainly not a date night place. Stonewood is also good to take kids..

Old 04-01-2014, 05:36 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,502 times
i think you can get an excellent meal at many, many restaurants in the area for a reasonable amount of time. Restaurants make most of their money on apps, drinks/wines and desserts. Skip those, get a salad and good entree and coffee/espresso and you're good to go for maybe $40/head. And there are tons of places like that.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:29 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiStix View Post
Every single person, without exception, who recommends Bonefish says this.

It is their equivalent of the Bloomin' Onion. Of course everyone loves the 900 calorie appetizer.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:38 AM

8 posts, read 15,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Every single person, without exception, who recommends Bonefish says this.

It is their equivalent of the Bloomin' Onion. Of course everyone loves the 900 calorie appetizer.
bonefish is perfected mediocrity and it's not cheap, and it's just another chain ! who cares about the bang bang anyway ? how many times do you want that ?

Old 04-02-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veisenhalter View Post
bonefish is perfected mediocrity and it's not cheap, and it's just another chain ! who cares about the bang bang anyway ? how many times do you want that ?

My sincerest apologies.... I'll try to live with myself the next time I go, knowing the food snobs are frowning down upon me.

And welcome to the forum

Old 04-02-2014, 10:05 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,394 times
Quote:
So tell me about the bang bang shrimp?

I like a bloomin onion at least once a year.

Hubby and I used to go to the Del Mar fair, mostly to eat and people watch. Everything there is fried, right down to the twinkies. I generally eat low fat, I considered fair day the day I got my entire annual allowance of cholesterol. Without the fair, I need a replacement.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:06 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
Quote:
My sincerest apologies.... I'll try to live with myself the next time I go, knowing the food snobs are frowning down upon me.

And welcome to the forum
I can understand your thinking that I am a "food snob," but I promise I am not. It is true that I am highly opinionated on the topic, but I respect everyone's right to eat what they like, of course.

Just for example, swing by Walt's on 41 sometime and have a plate of fish. Grab a Philly cheesesteak at Walsh's on Clark Rd.

Hell, try the chicken mini's for breakfast at Chik-Fil-A.

All fine selections.

I simply feel that Bonefish is an emperor's new clothes-type scenario.

Kind of like Trader Joe's, a hundred yards away.

But that's another thread.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
So tell me about the bang bang shrimp?

I like a bloomin onion at least once a year.

Hubby and I used to go to the Del Mar fair, mostly to eat and people watch. Everything there is fried, right down to the twinkies. I generally eat low fat, I considered fair day the day I got my entire annual allowance of cholesterol. Without the fair, I need a replacement.
It's kind of their signature appetizer they are known for & it's really good (but of course this is my mediocre, chain eating, non-foodie opinion) The shrimp are lightly fried & then coated with a sweet & spicy sort of glaze.

Now that you mention fair food- I haven't had a good old elephant ear since leaving Indiana... sounds so good!!

Last edited by PixiStix; 04-02-2014 at 10:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area