Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2014, 04:33 PM

53 posts, read 138,337 times

Advertisements

Looking to find a local home builder that doesn't just build mansions or giant homes. Im wanting to build a reasonable size house around 1700-2000 sq ft, nothing crazy. So far im finding most builders only want the big stuff.
Home will be built on raw land, that has only well and electric on it; out east of Fruitville and Verna.
-3/2
-Metal Roof
-Split plan
-Concrete block
-Energy efficient
Or even a large horse barn/house!

Thanks!!

Last edited by JesseS; 06-29-2014 at 05:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 05:36 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,153,717 times
is there a reason you want the metal roof ? They can be quite a bit more expensive, the felt shingle is what I normally bid on , so clients can spend the money inside

Old 06-29-2014, 05:46 PM

53 posts, read 138,337 times
Energy efficiency, then add icynene spray insulation in the attic, you then can reduce the size of AC system, while keeping your home cooler, less $$ for electric and greater discounts with most insurance companies.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:58 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,883 times
There are builders here on the forum. I hope if one is interested in your project, he or she will DM you.

No slight to any of the forum people, but I suggest you meet with Jonas Yoder on Bahia Vista near Honore. There is another Yoder (Denny) in Bradenton who is more focused on remodels. There are many Yoders in many areas of construction and all seem to have excellent reputations. One of my friends who has lived in Sarasota a long time put it this way: you get a home built by Jonas Yoder and you get a really well built home.

He builds what the client wants. I have seen a honking enormous house he was building but I have also seen pictures of modest homes he has built. At one point he was building churches. He was willing to build an apartment building for us, so that says he is flexible. He leans more to traditional styling and hardiboard exteriors, but he will do block construction.

Jonas Yoder Custom Homes | Jonas Yoder Custom Homes and Construction Group

After all the above raving, I need to do the disclaimer that he is not the builder we picked for our project, but we had some special constraints that made us pick someone else.

The builder that is in to energy efficiency is Duane Clayton. "Classic Homes by Clayton". I liked him a great deal also. I maybe mistaken, but I believe he is a smaller builder and I think he only does one or two houses a year. I don't know if he will do a small house, but he will do block and energy efficient. He has a model home currently on Osprey near Goldenrod if you want to see his work.

Home - Classic Homes- Dwayne Clayton Residential Contractor Sarasota, FL

After all the above praise for Yoder and Clayton, I need to do the disclaimer that we did not pick either of these builders for our project, but we had some special constraints that made us pick someone else.

Be prepared to pay a lot for that metal roof. I wanted one but backed away after our builder told us what it would cost on our house. But there are probably people who could do it cheaper.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:53 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
Energy efficiency, then add icynene spray insulation in the attic, you then can reduce the size of AC system, while keeping your home cooler, less $$ for electric and greater discounts with most insurance companies.
You can do the icynene insulation under another type of roof and keep your home cooler, less for electric. And you won't have to mortgage your first born. You would have to get a lot of insurance discounts to make up for the increased cost of a metal roof.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:27 PM

132 posts, read 325,416 times
We've decided to go the new build route on a lot we hope to buy. Neal will often build any of their models on your own lot. It's not something they advertise, but can be done. New Home Builder in Florida | Neal Communities

Old 06-30-2014, 05:30 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,153,717 times
DM was sent to the OP.................

Old 07-03-2014, 06:32 AM

707 posts, read 1,052,562 times
Medallion Homes or Vision Homes

Old 07-03-2014, 06:46 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,143,530 times
Brent Whitehead/Whitehead construction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: