Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 11:56 AM

49 posts, read 85,191 times

Advertisements

Are there reasons you wouldn't want to purchase a home that has this designation? Perhaps changes can't be made that would update the home to make it more livable?

I did a search through old threads but didn't find any information. It would be great if anyone has first hand knowledge. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 12:03 PM

126 posts, read 156,900 times
Most likely I would never buy for the main reason you listed, can't make changes. Also I find many of those old historical homes full of many small rooms, I like less rooms but greater in size. If it were an old plantation style colonial and could update say the interior with plumbing, bathrooms, molding, kitchen, floors, I would put it high on my list, i love those homes even if rooms are small.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:57 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,351,938 times
Mostly Manatee residents interested in buying 117-year-old "Beth Salem" house | Business | Bradenton Herald

There's one for sale right now. You buy the house, you provide the lot to move it to!

Old 07-28-2014, 02:25 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,112,117 times
There are some large lovely historic homes in Whitfield Estates, Indian Beach/ Sapphire Shores and my impression is that some of them have been beautifully restored. This is where the old money originally settled.

Hubby and I looked at one in Whitfield Estates that was not restored that originally belonged to a Ringling family member. It had roots from the banyon tree coming up through the floor. Great lot--beautiful styling on exterior--nightmare inside.

Historic homes that I have seen in other parts of town are small and do have the small room problem. There are a lot of bungalow style homes from the 1925 era. The ones I have seen are wood and have significant termite issues--not just floor and joists but windows. Having to replace windows kills a lot of the charm. Also if there have been roof leaks, think about the potential for mold in the attic.

FYI It is not just the national register that can do a historic home designation. It can be local. There is a fabulous large lot on Datura street that was for sale and had a locally designated historic home on it. Spanish style on the outside and had an addition that was unrelated in style. I think it was designated historic more for its history of being home belonging to a famous jazz musician rather than the age and style of the house. You could feel the floor give way under your feet as you walked through. Hubby and I were looking for a building lot and were told by a builder that we would probably have to have the house moved, rather than torn down, because of the historic designation. That was a deal killer for us. Allegra Homes bought the lot and is now having to send out notices about their intended demolition.

I think an important factor in making a decision on buying a historic home is how well it has been maintained over the years.

Another factor to consider is flood zone. This is an issue that has been discussed to death, but it could put a limit on home much you could sink into it restoring it.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:53 PM

I wonder if the house I've seen on line in Whitfield Estates is the one you saw, Cardiff? It's been on the market for a long, long time and (of course) looks really interesting but not many photos. It's obvious it hasn't been restored to any degree.

I found Indian Beach really appealing - on the right streets. I didn't get as far as Whitfield Estates. There's a house on Delmar Ave that's had some national press; it's been on the market forever. My drives took me past that and the area wasn't for me so I went no further north. Now I wish I had.

In the south part of town I drove by a few interesting (although not for sale) mid-century homes. One in particular really stood out and I'm racking my brain trying to remember where it was. There's another in the same area that was recently sold that looked pretty amazing and seemed well priced (it went quickly so I assume that was the case).

So many interesting schools of architecture in Sarasota mixed with the "typical" Florida style.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:28 PM

33 posts, read 41,748 times
If you want a new home build one. If you want to maintain stewardship of our collective history, an old house may be for you.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travlin'grl View Post
I wonder if the house I've seen on line in Whitfield Estates is the one you saw, Cardiff? It's been on the market for a long, long time and (of course) looks really interesting but not many photos. It's obvious it hasn't been restored to any degree.

I found Indian Beach really appealing - on the right streets. I didn't get as far as Whitfield Estates. There's a house on Delmar Ave that's had some national press; it's been on the market forever. My drives took me past that and the area wasn't for me so I went no further north. Now I wish I had.

In the south part of town I drove by a few interesting (although not for sale) mid-century homes. One in particular really stood out and I'm racking my brain trying to remember where it was. There's another in the same area that was recently sold that looked pretty amazing and seemed well priced (it went quickly so I assume that was the case).

So many interesting schools of architecture in Sarasota mixed with the "typical" Florida style.
Ah yes. The Austin house. It was my first love in Sarasota. I sent Hubby and my bestie's husband on the first scouting trip to Sarasota. They went to look at it and crossed it off my list before I could even see it. He objected because of how much work it would be to keep up the grounds and the ongoing maintenance on the house. Plus Hubby is extremely noise sensitive and did not want to be near the airport. (Seems silly to me since he could just turn off his hearing aids).

The gardener told Hubby was the first serious potential buyer that had looked at it. The glassed in lanai next to the banyon tree was to die for. After that house became a no way from Hubby, I dreamed of having a ballroom with a cow in it. Our realtor was horrified that I wanted to convert every downstairs master bedroom I saw into a ballroom. I finally got over it.

If you want a historic project house, here is one for you.

2525 Pleasant Pl , Sarasota, FL 34239 - MLS A3998087, Michael Saunders & Company

Old 07-28-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Conover View Post
If you want a new home build one. If you want to maintain stewardship of our collective history, an old house may be for you.
You clearly do not have "troubled house syndrome".

Old 07-28-2014, 05:29 PM

17,569 posts, read 39,232,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travlin'grl View Post

I live in Whitfield Estates, and it is a fabulous place to live. I consider myself lucky to live here.

I also like Indian Beach, but for me it is not as good as Whitfield. Here we have large winding boulevards to ride my bike, sidwalks with right-of-ways, very large lots and lots of open land that the airport owns. Believe it or not, the airport is not an issue for any of us living here at all. Anyway, it is an eclectic and diverse area to live.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:52 PM

Mr. C: You see thing in black and white, don't you
Ahh.. if life were so simple.

My current home was built in 1908 and is now completely renovated excepting the basement. And it was done room by room. Some times very slowly.

We have a "little" joke; when my daughter was young my husband worked for Apple designing printers (oh yes, they made those once upon a time). This was his second stint with them and he, as many others, thought the company was going under.

We took our 2000 shares (at the time) of stock and sold them for $11.00 a share and renovated our daughters' room and did a few other necessary repairs to the house.
It's a tiny room, under the eves, in an odd house that was built to look like the second floor was attic space but isn't and never was. We built into the existing hall to maximize the room.

We joke about this being the most expensive renovation per sq ft ever. I think the stock would have been worth upward of $5.5 million had we held on to it. Needless to say, no one comes to us for financial advice.

They are impressed by our renovation skills, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area