Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 07:43 PM

239 posts, read 326,134 times

Advertisements

I moved back to FL, I used to live in Manatee County, Bradenton and Parrish to be exact but now I am living in Gateway. Its the more north pocket of St Pete on the way to Gandy. After I am seeing life some in St Pete, I see it as a very mixed area. My area of course less diverse but closer to Tampa and then Downtown St Pete. I think the restaurant selection is great and beaches are better here than in Bradenton/Sarasota area.

Now for those living in Bradenton/Sarasota.. theres beaches, lots of restaurants, but in my opinion slightly less. Sarasota I always saw as a nice place or Bradenton on the Sarasota line is the only part of Bradenton I'd willingly live in and also turns out a girl I am talking to lives down there too so I dont know what I will do when my rental lease expires. I may locate back across the bridge again depending.

I visited my stepfather in Parrish but then happened to go by SR 70 to get to the highway and man is it so congested around there lately and ratty looking. I couldn't get over it. The demographics over there in Braden River are mostly white but still doesn't take away from the fact it looks worse than before even. I dont know what it is. Am I just seeing things or is that just like a not so good part of town anymore? I know Oneco is pretty bad too but I dunno what it is.. the vibe around the Bealls and the Tuffy down there has gotten worse I sensed. Its like that ratty alleyway on the way from 41 to Lakewood Ranch now.

Also Downtown Bradenton would seem a little too jammed for me between all the events going on and narrow streets. Moreso than the Old NE area in St Pete which extends outward from downtown more.

I am just asking what most people prefer between these 2 areas because it seems like Bradenton has gotten worse if you want my honest opinion. They have the riverwalk and all that but I happened to be in the area when Regatta was going on and my oh my.. that just didn't look like my cup of tea either and couldnt fathom what living there would be like. I tried taking a shortcut and ended up in a hospital parking lot! More problematic than anything up here I think to be honest. So yea give me your feedback.. TY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 07:54 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,142 times
We all live in Manatee/Sarasota, so we prefer here.

There's more restaurants than you could possibly eat at if you ate at two different ones a day for a year.

Parrish is not a good barometer of the population. Mostly retirees and very slow area.

Bradenton or Parrish? Bradenton.

Bradenton or Sarasota? Sarasota.

Tampa/St Pete or Sarasota? Sarasota.

Tampa/St Pete or Parrish? Tampa/St Pete.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:07 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,104,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InGateway View Post
Also Downtown Bradenton would seem a little too jammed for me between all the events going on and narrow streets. Moreso than the Old NE area in St Pete which extends outward from downtown more.
This is the height of season. Everyplace in Sarasota is JAMMED. Guessing Bradenton is the same. People who have lived here a while are saying this year is the WORST TRAFFIC EVER. Don't think this is the time for you to do a comparison on that issue.

Me thinks you ought to be evaluating the relationship with the girl more than evaluating the two locales. The girl is what is making you consider moving. The wrong relationship could make you miserable in paradise.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
We all live in Manatee/Sarasota, so we prefer here.

There's more restaurants than you could possibly eat at if you ate at two different ones a day for a year.

Parrish is not a good barometer of the population. Mostly retirees and very slow area.

Bradenton or Parrish? Bradenton.

Bradenton or Sarasota? Sarasota.

Tampa/St Pete or Sarasota? Sarasota.

Tampa/St Pete or Parrish? Tampa/St Pete.
Those mostly sound accurate, I disagree with the last 2 though and dont get the point of the 4th one really.

Parrish isnt as relaxed anymore, thats just it. I dont consider it the boonies so much as it used to be. In fact it would probably be worse to live in North Pinellas or Pasco than it would to live in Parrish. Ellenton outlet mall is nice though.

Bradenton all the way around just seems to be worse though. Downtown may be improving some but the other neighborhoods not so great. Cortez might still be ok or the beach but you know I always felt Bradenton beach was real touristy or an older crowd and thats really all there was. Out here if you find one spot is touristy you can find another one right nearby on the water that you like so ya less variation in Bradenton.. its almost all older along the beaches. Siesta is awfully crowded.

Whats funny is I met someone recently who used to live in Sarasota and now lives in Tampa.. she called Sarasota "Sarascrotum". I kind of disagreed though but she thought it was like a small town good old boy gossipy place where too many know your business. While I thought during my time around there that it was very hard to run into someone you knew from somewhere else so.. it seemed bigger than that to me.

And no I am evaluating the 2 areas with or without the relationship aspect. As a single guy I prefer Bradenton/Sarasota line by the airport the most and for St Pete, I like 4th St N the most for living... perhaps some of the south side.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:57 AM

252 posts, read 371,031 times
Lol, finally a good nick-name for Sarasota!

Old 02-26-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-La land View Post
Lol, finally a good nick-name for Sarasota!
You think its true too huh? I think if you're rich Sarasota is better or if you live with someone with a cheaper rent and can save money (think $250 a month) like a step parent maybe. Then you might be able to get the most of it, otherwise you probably feel jipped and want to go where theres more for your rent money like more job opportunities, more places to go and so forth. Thats my impression of SRQ. It can be good under the right circumstances. I dont like how the beaches get crowded there though esp for the day goers. You almost are forced to always go at night when they do drum circles.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:04 AM

252 posts, read 371,031 times
Well, no I don't really feel that way to be honest. I just thought your friends nick name was funny. But I understand your point, SRQ can be a very expensive place to live, no doubt.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-La land View Post
Well, no I don't really feel that way to be honest. I just thought your friends nick name was funny. But I understand your point, SRQ can be a very expensive place to live, no doubt.
Yea I think its just important if you live there to have your ducks in a row. Its of course better to find work than some places in the country but probably not as good as St Pete/Tampa at the same time.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:34 PM

257 posts, read 470,021 times
My favorite among those would be St. Pete. I lived there for three years before moving to northern Manatee. St. Pete has the restaurants and bars and just such a variety. You won't run out of things to try there. There are also a lot of younger people in St. Pete these days.

I like Bradenton more than Sarasota but I know that's probably not a popular viewpoint. I grew up in rural Georgia and Bradenton has more of a southern small town feel to me. While I'm a professional, I can't stand the snooty people in Sarasota. I'll admit that I don't go to Sarasota often but it seems really overrated to me.

I think you're crazy when you say that Pinellas has better beaches. I love Pass a grille and Fort Desoto but Anna Maria and Siesta Key are way nicer in my opinion.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:20 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp01358 View Post
My favorite among those would be St. Pete. I lived there for three years before moving to northern Manatee. St. Pete has the restaurants and bars and just such a variety. You won't run out of things to try there. There are also a lot of younger people in St. Pete these days.

I like Bradenton more than Sarasota but I know that's probably not a popular viewpoint. I grew up in rural Georgia and Bradenton has more of a southern small town feel to me. While I'm a professional, I can't stand the snooty people in Sarasota. I'll admit that I don't go to Sarasota often but it seems really overrated to me.

I think you're crazy when you say that Pinellas has better beaches. I love Pass a grille and Fort Desoto but Anna Maria and Siesta Key are way nicer in my opinion.
I pretty much agree with most of this ^^^. Bradenton gets a bad rap on these forums, but I really like it. It definitely has a "small-town" feel, with FAR more community spirit than Sarasota. I like a lot of things about Sarasota, and have friends there, but overall I find Bradenton a lot more friendly and lives up to its moniker of "The Friendly City." They also have a great dowtown authority that is a LOT more on the ball than Sarasota. I agree that Sarasota is somewhat overrated. Sarasota is a city that succeeds in spite of itself, because that city is run by monkeys - lol!

I do love St. Pete, and we think we could possibly move there when hubby retires. But for the moment we are very happy living near the coast here in Southern Manatee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area