Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2015, 01:19 PM

10 posts, read 11,700 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with these neighborhoods near Parish. We are planning a trip to house hunt.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 07:16 PM

24 posts, read 26,729 times
Had family that built new in Phase 2 back in 2005. They just sold a few weeks ago. I loved their house but the utilities to cool the high ceilings and propane to heat the pool and Jacuzzi was crazy expensive. Florida is not a cheap place to live and while you can buy a lot of house for the money, it's still better than shoveling snow or stepping thru slush. Another plus is the fact the gulf beaches are very nice, much nicer than the minimal waves on the Atlantic side.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:44 AM

176 posts, read 217,149 times
Check out River Wilderness if you are in that area.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:22 AM

164 posts, read 356,118 times
My husband and I built a home in Twin Rivers three years ago and we love it here! We were looking for a neighborhood with larger lots and homes. There is an abundance of ponds and preserves, and there are a few nature trails. An historic home on the property, on the bank of the Manatee River, is being restored to hold neighborhood events along with a boat launch, fishing pier, and picnic tables. There is a good mix of ages and a variety of neighborhood picnics, movie nights, etc. There are a few small playgrounds scattered throughout the development and a soccer field, beach volleyball court, and basketball court.

If you do check it out, be sure to visit the model home by Johnson Homes. Dennis and his son, Brian, were a joy to work with and they build high quality houses.

Good luck!

Off topic: after living here for three years now, I guess I need to request a username change!

Old 05-24-2015, 11:39 AM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,725 times
My Uncle has lived in River Wilderness for 20+ years. They are still building new homes there, too. The prices are up there, but it's a well maintained and beautiful community. Originally, he moved here to be a realtor for the development, and did so for 12-13 years and sold a lot of the homes inside the community. Loves it so much still they are still there today. It's far from a cookie-cutter development, each home is rather custom.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:21 PM

19 posts, read 17,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Ohio View Post
My husband and I built a home in Twin Rivers three years ago and we love it here! We were looking for a neighborhood with larger lots and homes. There is an abundance of ponds and preserves, and there are a few nature trails. An historic home on the property, on the bank of the Manatee River, is being restored to hold neighborhood events along with a boat launch, fishing pier, and picnic tables. There is a good mix of ages and a variety of neighborhood picnics, movie nights, etc. There are a few small playgrounds scattered throughout the development and a soccer field, beach volleyball court, and basketball court.

If you do check it out, be sure to visit the model home by Johnson Homes. Dennis and his son, Brian, were a joy to work with and they build high quality houses.

Good luck!

Off topic: after living here for three years now, I guess I need to request a username change!
Hi Sue,
we toured through Twin Rivers last Aug and went through Johnsons model which was very nice, in fact I believe it finally sold last month. We are still 2 years out as our daughter is a soph. in college. We also went through River Wilderness which was also very nice, but kinda liked Twin Rivers more as it is shall I say less formal. Lots are larger and being a car guy 3 car garage seems pretty easy to find with even the possibility of stacking.

I know there is a racetrack nearby, you dont hear this while outside do you? We are currently in Bedford NY on 2 acres where everything is a drive so being somewhat disconnected does not bother us. Could you proivide a little feedback on house insurance, I wouldn't think you are in a flood zone or have wind issues either so I would imagine ins is not too bad? We are looking at houses in the 3,200sq ft range and maybe $500-575k or so. Any thoughts on rental mkt in Twin Rivers? If we were to purchase early with 50% down would rental for two yrs cover mortgage, taxes etc?

Love the area on the initial run through as Im not sure I could live in a cookie cutter development, I need some space. All feedback in much appreciated...Thx

Old 05-24-2015, 03:36 PM

164 posts, read 356,118 times
Well, Rags747, if you are a car guy, my husband would love to have you in the neighborhood! One of the reasons we chose TR is that we were allowed to build a detached garage for his sports car cave. He has a lift in each garage so we have plenty of room to stack cars...lol. We have three BMW ///M cars and a 1957 Austin Healey, plus my car. There is a large contingent of Corvette owners here and a few with vintage muscle cars so the more, the merrier!

To answer your questions, we only occasionally hear the race track when we are outside, usually when they are running the jet dragsters and top fuel dragsters (sometimes they light up the sky in the distance), so it is not an annoyance at all and is actually kind of cool to hear. Our house is just shy of 3000 sq ft and, with the pool and extra garage, we are paying $1700/yr for insurance which I think is reasonable. No, we are not in a flood zone. Our real estate taxes are surprisingly reasonable (one of the few things that cost less than what we were paying back in Ohio).

The only downside (for me, anyway) is the 28 mile drive to my shop in downtown Sarasota. It is nice, though, to leave the congestion and tourists behind and come home to our little slice of old Florida.

Please feel free to PM me with more questions!

Sue

Old 05-26-2015, 04:41 AM

19 posts, read 17,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Ohio View Post
Well, Rags747, if you are a car guy, my husband would love to have you in the neighborhood! One of the reasons we chose TR is that we were allowed to build a detached garage for his sports car cave. He has a lift in each garage so we have plenty of room to stack cars...lol. We have three BMW ///M cars and a 1957 Austin Healey, plus my car. There is a large contingent of Corvette owners here and a few with vintage muscle cars so the more, the merrier!

To answer your questions, we only occasionally hear the race track when we are outside, usually when they are running the jet dragsters and top fuel dragsters (sometimes they light up the sky in the distance), so it is not an annoyance at all and is actually kind of cool to hear. Our house is just shy of 3000 sq ft and, with the pool and extra garage, we are paying $1700/yr for insurance which I think is reasonable. No, we are not in a flood zone. Our real estate taxes are surprisingly reasonable (one of the few things that cost less than what we were paying back in Ohio).

The only downside (for me, anyway) is the 28 mile drive to my shop in downtown Sarasota. It is nice, though, to leave the congestion and tourists behind and come home to our little slice of old Florida.

Please feel free to PM me with more questions!

Sue
Sue, ty for your reply...sounds like you have found paradise there. Thats good news on the insurance, all I read is how bad insurance can be there, but I can say that is so so much cheaper than what we are paying now so that is a relief. Property taxes are probably 1/4 of what we are paying now so that is another bonus. Have actually zeroed in on a house in TR that I would love to pull the trigger on now, but again my daughter has two yrs left of school so we are still on the outside looking in. Just perusing the area over the past year and a half the prices have really increased significantly imo, seems you guys got in at the right time.

All the best and will continue to follow this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area