Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 08:29 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,692,335 times

Advertisements

I would look for an in between if possible. That's quite a long commute, IMO. However, I am someone who cannot stand a commute. Anything over 15-20 min is to much so everyone is different in what they tolerate. Living in Venice or north port would put you closer to work and not a very far drive to Sarasota either. Punta gorda really is a nice town, of course not as much as Sarasota offers I know. I suppose it's your over preference of what's most important and what your going to be ok with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 09:02 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
My son in law worked for trucking company based in Lakeland for several years and was able to work from home more than 50% of the time--living in Nokomis--and travel to the home office on the company's dime the rest of the time. The company was a frustration exercise for him because his job was continuous improvement/project management and after he took the job he realized over time that the company's core bosses didn't really want him there and didn't want to revise any of the practices they had used for years...
The company's CEO/majority owner hired him w/o really getting any feedback from the power structure which was the initial source of friction I guess.

After about 4.5 yrs, he was given an ultimatum basically to relocated (w/o any $) to main office to be there full time, or commute daily (90 min+ each way), or just move himself M-F and leave wife/son at home....They chose for him to turn down the transfer w/o using any time to search for new job while just he made the move and rented a room someplace.
He needed almost a year before finding another job that had a decent salary and upside.
Working in new field (Internet security) w/his same skill set for company that is successful but has problems with organization...he gets along very well w/his immediate boss and is feeling more comfortable making place for himself...so hopefully this will be long-term and enriching position...

They were really stressed during that year since he had minimal UIB and his wife is teacher. Health insurance was issue--cheaper to get policies for him/son through ACA than go on her SISD policy...but they never considered making the move to stay w/that company...
He just felt it was going nowhere and likely to be terminated after moving because his immediate supervisor just didn't see any value to his contribution...so didn't want to give up their home and be in worse shape in different town.

Lot to consider when you make choice like this--
In DFW TX area where our other home is there are many people who live in FTW and work in Dallas (maybe over time their jobs have changed but they wanted to keep their same home location) or they live in other area town and drive considerable distances (1-2 hrs each way) to a job location. There are toll roads in that area and lot of road construction w/much more traffic and most people are tied to their cars (rarely use public transport if going between towns or car pool). So it is not unheard of to make a big commute. I have read of teachers who live in Oklahoma and work in TX--making long drives--just to get job in better district.
Not an easy choice or commitment.
Biggest question is can you be an effective employee if you are making that big a commute?

Old 08-08-2016, 09:06 AM

407 posts, read 829,002 times
I enjoy living in PG. It's truly a paradise for kayaking and fishing! But besides that, I find I am always driving to Sarasota and Fort Myers for all my shopping and errands. Now that my work will be in Sarasota in a few months, I don't see why I would stay in PG. I put about 100 miles a day on my car commuting to Lee county and sure it will be the same commuting to Sarasota.

I know this is little off topic, but can any recommend any nice condo/town home communities in the North Port-Venice-Laurel area? I am in my mid-20s. I have been looking for close to two years now, I've known the move to Sarasora-Manatee was going to happen for awhile now. All the condos I have come across have been in Sarasota itself, Bradenton, and Lakewood Ranch (which I love!).

@lovestoread: I am also a teacher... I understand why teachers commute to be in a better district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area