Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 06:34 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,679,653 times

Advertisements

So, first question is about the indoor track. I have to be honest. I have tried to just suck it up and run in the heat, but have found that generally, even in the early mornings, that it is just too hot too a point where I don't feel I'm able to get max benefit from the workout (essentially, I'm so exhausted from the heat that I'm just worried about finishing, not any type of speed). This is at least for half of the year I would say. Are there any (200 yard or so) indoor tracks that have public access, and are relatively inexpensive in the area for these portions of the year? I would be willing to drive up to 30 minutes because I would likely only be doing that type of workout (speed) twice a week or so.

Second question is, while I have always been active (which includes completing a marathon a couple years back), the goal I have set my sights on now is eventually completing an Ironman 70.3. I have the running and bicycling part down. Problem is though, at swimming I would consider myself at best an amateur. I still even have many doubts about my form. Are there any cheap (or relatively inexpensive) swimming lessons available somewhere in the area?

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 08:00 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,463,216 times
you should read up on heart rate monitor training - I'm pretty sure if you were to watch your heart rate and run accordingly you could run even in the heat - there are youtube videos that recommend that you keep your rate down to develope your aerobic capacity (not anaerobic)......I started heart rate monitor training several years ago that I enjoy running now year long in FL.....I still try to get out there before 8 a.m. if I can.....I don't know of any indoor tracks anywhere around TB/Sarasota/Bradenton.....they're everywhere in snow country, I noticed.

check out red cross in your area - often they provide lessons.....St Pete has a huge city lap pool open to the public and I bet there are instructors there......might be worth a weekly visit....I'm working on my swimming and have used Youtube to learn stroke and breathing, etc - but I need help as well......can't seem to get my endurance up -for swimming longer than 20-30 mins.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:47 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,679,653 times
Thanks BucFan! I do appreciate your advice. Yeah, they aren't easy to find (indoor tracks) down here. I'm guessing USF has one though, so perhaps if I got hired on there? That's my eventual goal.

That would be a good idea, because then I'm running to get to that peak heart rate instead of to a specific workout time... I guess when I get out there I'm expecting (re: hoping) to get the same type of speed and such that id get when it's in the 60s, and it generally never works out that way.

Thanks, I will check out those places as well, I think even as a life skill it's something I want to develop being in FL. You're certainly ahead of me then, I can't even figure out how to breathe in the water without nose plugs. I can tread water and dog paddle well enough, but
I'm not even close to good form onnbreast and back stroke.

Thanks for the advice! I hope you're having a good summer and enjoying many Rays games.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:58 AM

Youtube heart has channels by a former top triathlete who kept his pace slow to keep heart rate about 120. He trained at that hr and it helped him win major events. Recommend searching for it. I forget his name.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:00 AM

Here's one of the youtube vids.....never thought that running at easy running can help develope stamina/endurance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veAQ73OJdwY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area