Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 12:21 PM

8 posts, read 8,150 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning for retirement in a year or so. The Sarasota/Venice area is at the top of our wish list. There is so much to like about it, and we have relatives and friends who live in Sarasota.

There is one drawback/concern and that is that I have been treated for skin cancer (squamous cell) in the past couple of years, and we are wondering if that should influence our decision on SW Florida.

Is anyone familiar with friends/relatives who avoided moving to Florida due to an issue like this, or are preventive measures easy enough to employ to overcome the endless sunshine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 12:26 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
This is defininitely something to discuss with your doctor.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:20 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
I can't imagine Florida residents who develop skin cancer are told by their doctors to move out of Florida. There's plenty of precautions you can take to protect yourself from the sun. It wouldn't stop me.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:31 PM

47 posts, read 52,412 times
Not to be rude but City Data is less knowledgable about this than your Oncologist.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:51 AM

17 posts, read 34,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzyJim View Post
My wife and I are planning for retirement in a year or so. The Sarasota/Venice area is at the top of our wish list. There is so much to like about it, and we have relatives and friends who live in Sarasota.

There is one drawback/concern and that is that I have been treated for skin cancer (squamous cell) in the past couple of years, and we are wondering if that should influence our decision on SW Florida.

Is anyone familiar with friends/relatives who avoided moving to Florida due to an issue like this, or are preventive measures easy enough to employ to overcome the endless sunshine?
I understand your concern and I would be asking the same question!! I do feel that there are great products out there to help protect your skin. I would take this up with your doctor and discuss your concerns. We just moved to Venice last August from Connecticut but we are fortunate not to have any concerns as yourselves, but we do use lots of good sunscreen, hats etc. I would not change your retirement plans and moving paradise, but I think talking to your doctor and discussing ideas of how to protect yourselves is your best route.
Good luck

Old 02-25-2017, 02:17 PM

8 posts, read 8,150 times
I will certainly discuss this with my Dermatologist, who I will be seeing in a couple of months.

Perhaps, to convince her that it is okay, I would agree to buy and wear a Wallaroo hat.

Ah, the curse of the Irish.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:29 PM

17 posts, read 34,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzyJim View Post
I will certainly discuss this with my Dermatologist, who I will be seeing in a couple of months.

Perhaps, to convince her that it is okay, I would agree to buy and wear a Wallaroo hat.

Ah, the curse of the Irish.
YerzyJim I think that's a great idea. I have Scottish skin but was a little concerned but talked to my doctor. Yes that bloody curse haha.. I'd be very interested to know what your Dermatologist has to say since I have a tennager who shares my Scottish skin. Please post .. Thank you and hope you get good news

Old 02-26-2017, 01:26 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
I asked my dermatologist before I moved down. I'm fair, Irish, freckled, have had a million things "burned off", most pre-cancerous but a couple squamous. Anyway, she told me I could live in a cave the rest of my life and these things will still pop up, as the damage is from long ago. HOWEVER, I continued to "tan" after I got here, using the same SPF regimen I had used up North, but my skin quickly became a mess. The new derm down here said basically "You're not in Kansas anymore"....the FL sun is MUCH harsher. So now I'm left with red marks all over my skin and my skin feels like leather. I've stopped going to the pool and beach entirely. Now any color I get is from self-tanner.

The dermatologist down here told me to protect my skin at all times, including wearing hats and long-sleeved SPF clothing. I have not gone through a summer yet with those new instructions....can't imagine wearing long sleeves in summer. I guess I mostly will avoid being outside in daytime and walk my dogs at night.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:44 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
Well - there is no use moving here if you are never going to the beach, why bother? The beach is the major draw - in my opinion anyway.

If you wear a hat - even in the Gulf - stay under an umbrella, use sunglasses - wear a strong sunscreen and reapply constantly and don't go out midday - you should be O.K. -

Old 02-26-2017, 09:48 AM

547 posts, read 927,060 times
We rarely go to the beach these days. I dislike, no, I hate saltwater. My dermatologist has been telling me to wear long sleeves, a hat & sunscreen daily. He's been giving this advice for over 25 years. And because I made my living on the water he told me I should switch careers.
My wife has beautiful fair skin and freckles,and spends a lot of time outside. Thankfully she had a clean check up last week, so who knows.

Maybe the original poster will be ok, maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
Well - there is no use moving here if you are never going to the beach, why bother? The beach is the major draw - in my opinion anyway.

If you wear a hat - even in the Gulf - stay under an umbrella, use sunglasses - wear a strong sunscreen and reapply constantly and don't go out midday - you should be O.K. -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area