Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 05:48 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivekerotavlas View Post
I'm starting to think sorrysota is a troll account lol
Quite literally every forum on CD has at least one such person dumping on the place. Often times it's just someone who had a bad experience, moved away, and is so jaded that they haunt a forum for years to come lol. It's as if they are trying to exact revenge on a place because it didn't work out for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 05:51 AM

48 posts, read 79,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
Quite literally every forum on CD has at least one such person dumping on the place. Often times it's just someone who had a bad experience, moved away, and is so jaded that they haunt a forum for years to come lol. It's as if they are trying to exact revenge on a place because it didn't work out for them.
I hear you, Sorrysota is literally on every Sarasota post though just irrationally trashing the place. I mean his username is literally Sorrysota lmao

Old 08-19-2017, 06:44 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nivekerotavlas View Post
I hear you, Sorrysota is literally on every Sarasota post though just irrationally trashing the place. I mean his username is literally Sorrysota lmao
Just ignore. That poster gets banned periodically and comes back, like a bad penny.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:26 PM

128 posts, read 167,245 times
Here we go again with accusations of trolls... Look sorrysota is legit and there are no trolls here. So what if he/she is ticked off its just an honest view point many of you do not share or are unable to understand.

Okay it is interesting you typed this up. However you are still new to sota and I believe your opinions will take some time to mature and grow.

You came right out the gate with the climate chapter and to me it seems the manuscript should begin with the People. Its refreshing to see people your age enjoying sota so much because as sorrysota and others have pointed out, it was not always that way.

The whole paper is too wordy. Again you need more years in the area. Its neat you wrote this but I would date it 2017 because you are describing a newer Sarasota, not the same town before it was changed/gentrified so heavily.

Your sections about natives/transplants is wishy washy. I would recommend not separating the two. However, I would put a divider between retirees and everybody else. Get more gutsy and critical in your discussion concerning retirees.

Also when you say you are setting your roots in sota. Think five or ten years from now. The population will multiply significantly and you may feel ticked off it changed. A lot of the trees and forests you see today will be smashed down and new transplants may irritate you at that point. Plan on it.

Again I want to reitterate that Sarasota has changed a lot and all the positive changes you describe were not quite there decades ago. There was a feeling of less opportunity especially for young professionals. And a big explanation for some people expresing their annoyances is they feel sota people can be oppressive... sorrysota is also noting that he/she is used to a big city experience with much more hardened city culture with deeper histories, and cities with night lifes that command more power, that does not really exhist much in sota.

Interesting write up best wishes to you OP

Old 08-22-2017, 01:12 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yalaspa View Post
Here we go again with accusations of trolls... Look sorrysota is legit and there are no trolls here. So what if he/she is ticked off its just an honest view point many of you do not share or are unable to understand.
……...
I don't think that's accurate. Plenty of people on CD have unpopular opinions that aren't easily understood. IMHO, if you can support your opinion with substance you are legit. Simply dropping turds in threads is not legit.

Let me give you examples of legit:

I was an electrician in NJ before moving to Sarasota. I made great pay and benefits. I moved to Sarasota and found myself earning nearly half what I made in NJ. Sure, my cost of living is less here but not enough to make up for the difference in pay...

I am a Dental tech and cannot find a job that pays me more than $?/HR….

Let me give you an example of a troll:

My name is sorrysota. This place sucks. There are no good paying jobs….

Many/most of sorrysota's claims are provably false. Saying there are no good paying jobs isn't a perspective, it's something that is provably false. It's like saying Sarasota is cold and snowy. That wouldn't be a perspective that is simply difficult to understand, it would be a lie.

If I had to speculate I would gather that sorrysota has entry-level skills and applies to entry-level jobs. For such people good paying jobs are indeed hard to come by….much like most places. Some parts of the country have more opportunities for finding better paying entry-level work. If you have entry-level skills then it is indeed hard to live in a place like Sarasota. Your wages pale in comparison to your cost of living. If sorrysota qualified his "perspective" accordingly he would be legit. He doesn't. He simply drops turds in threads.

Last edited by CarawayDJ; 08-22-2017 at 02:15 AM..

Old 08-22-2017, 05:16 AM

48 posts, read 79,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
If sorrysota qualified his "perspective" accordingly he would be legit. He doesn't. He simply drops turds in threads.
I should have specified when I accused him of being a troll, but I literally read this forum probably every other day and that guy/girl literally post "**** posts" with no evidence every other day. Go read all the threads sorrysota has commented on and you'll see.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:08 AM

44 posts, read 44,820 times
Everyone has an opinion. No one needs to attempt to delegitimize someone else's experience and opinion.

I think the OP's opinions are his own, but living here for ONE year isn't noteworthy at all.

I found the diatribe a bit tortured. No mature potential transplant would find this "assessment" reliable...not coming from a person with the very limited living experience of only one year....not just 365 days.

Take the diatribe for what it's worth. The report may be valuable to some, to others, not so much. For long time residents of Sarasota Manatee, it might be totally worthless - even inaccurate in parts.

I didn't find it particularly elucidative, precise or useful, but there again, I've been in SRQ for decades. Sobeit.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:44 AM

128 posts, read 167,245 times
Yeah. It took about 12 years for me to feel acclimated to Sarasota. I always felt out of place and it is a weird place with a lot of transient young professionals and in my experience, not as many long lasting relationships. Look at the nature in Florida, and observe how "invasive" species thrive so much in Sarasota. It's like almost everything can live in Florida. Birds, snakes, reptiles, and lots of trees and weeds from far away places, that do not really belong there, can thrive. But not everybody finds their niche in Sarasota.

The young professionals in Sarasota are like air plants. No real roots. Just floating around from place to place, somehow.

The retirees are like bulldozers. Completely uncaring. They each get their own house and everything they would ever need, and more.

Some find better belonging on the east coast of Florida. I noticed a lot of people in Sarasota have negative reactions to even discussing the east coast of Florida, like it is the worst place in the state, especially Miami, but basically the whole east coast gets negative comments from the west coasters. However, when on the east coast, they do not talk trash like that about the west coast. It's like, who cares what they say. I suppose that is a strange generalization but I have seen it enough to mention it here.

sorrysota is probably down and out more severely then people realize. You should all be nicer. You retirees are lucky to have all been so lucky in life and had so much economic prosperity. In fact, in my entire life, the retired people in Sarasota appear to have had more economic success and advantages than anywhere else I have ever seen, probably in the history of the entire country too. Sarasota is worthy of a horror story episode that is exceedingly mean and harmful towards poor people. I believe Stephen King even wrote a book that is sort of congruent with this new and unbelievable Grand Canyon-sized economic divide now in this country, it is titled Peasants Revolt.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:41 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,626 times
Great review, but not all of us conservatives have a dead hog in the back of their trucks. Sorry to disappoint.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:43 PM

41 posts, read 55,120 times
Excellent write-up. Do CPA's have good prospects in the Sarasota area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area