Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 02:28 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Have they started any development on that north Trail you mentioned, or is it not prime enough real estate?
There has been some development in the last several years, mostly just north of downtown. I have noticed some of the vacant lots have "sold" signs but have no idea what they will be. The problem with a lot of this real estate is that the plots are too small for multi-housing. One would think they could buy the old motels and do something with that. We lived in Whitfield near the airport for 15 years with the North Trail staying mostly derelict and abandoned-looking. Something that always struck me as strange, since Ringling, USF, New College and more are all along with stretch. Curious to see how it will go once they develop that new park on the old Quay site (and of course more mega $$$ towers there)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2023, 05:03 PM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
There has been some development in the last several years, mostly just north of downtown. I have noticed some of the vacant lots have "sold" signs but have no idea what they will be. The problem with a lot of this real estate is that the plots are too small for multi-housing. One would think they could buy the old motels and do something with that. We lived in Whitfield near the airport for 15 years with the North Trail staying mostly derelict and abandoned-looking. Something that always struck me as strange, since Ringling, USF, New College and more are all along with stretch. Curious to see how it will go once they develop that new park on the old Quay site (and of course more mega $$$ towers there)
That area North of downtown will be hot hot hot in the years ahead. All those trashy little hotels will be bought out and other stuff will be built on that land.

If I were those property owners, I'd be teaming up and offering several small parcels together as a larger parcel for Tens of Millions of dollars, and a free Penthouse condo.

Old 02-28-2023, 05:14 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
That area North of downtown will be hot hot hot in the years ahead. All those trashy little hotels will be bought out and other stuff will be built on that land.

If I were those property owners, I'd be teaming up and offering several small parcels together as a larger parcel for Tens of Millions of dollars, and a free Penthouse condo.
Are you referring to the Rosemary district?

Old 02-28-2023, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Are you referring to the Rosemary district?
No, we are talking about the North Trail - US 41 heading from downtown north.

Old 02-28-2023, 05:21 PM

Quote:
No, we are talking about the North Trail - US 41 heading from downtown north.

Old 02-28-2023, 05:47 PM

I stand by my prediction that the area along 41 north of downtown will explode with growth, & what is there now will be pushed out. I think it will be mostly commercial retail, not residential.

Old 02-28-2023, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I stand by my prediction that the area along 41 north of downtown will explode with growth, & what is there now will be pushed out. I think it will be mostly commercial retail, not residential.
I totally agree. Again, it looks like it has already started.

Old 03-01-2023, 07:19 AM

Quote:
I totally agree. Again, it looks like it has already started.
Is that area low lying? Would buildings need to be put on stilts? Do those old hotels/motels flood often?

That would be the only obstacle I can see. It's also tough to access from Fruitville, which is th next road to the North to get there? Is that an adequate safe route?

SRQ's nearly built out, so now we'll areas like that renewed....for more newcomers, and strip center retail of course.

Old 03-01-2023, 09:07 AM

7,998 posts, read 4,631,899 times
I live in Nokomis near the Goodwill store. Several times a week I go to dialysis in Venice at Fresenius off of Indian Hills Blvd. I leave my house around 10:15 AM and usually arrive at Fresenius within 20 to 30 minutes (9.1 miles). Return ride home is at 3 PM. I would describe traffic as heavy - although it moves along at a decent pace. The only instances of when the traffic is stalled to a standstill is when there is an accident.

I no longer need my car for work so I sold it. I was tired of the heavy traffic/bad drivers and high insurance/repairs so I rely on delivery whenever I can (Walmart+ grocery delivery), I'll use Uber or a friend for a ride once in a while. My health insurance pays for rides to my medical appts. I'm more than happy to pay my friend for gas & her time. I've done the calculations and even after paying Uber or a friend for the occasional ride I'm saving money by not owning a car.

I live on an acre of land so I'm able to go for walks/exercise outdoors without having to drive somewhere to do it. I'm not going to ride a bicycle for transportation because from where I live it's too dangerous.

I still have my drivers license but I can say I get along just fine without a car and I don't intend to buy another one anytime soon. I had been parking my car outside in the driveway (no garage) and rats got inside the engine compartment and chewed up some wires. That was very expensive to fix. I tried mothballs and other things but nothing seemed to work to keep the critters out of my car. I got tired of dealing with it.

Last edited by wondermint2; 03-01-2023 at 10:06 AM..

Old 03-01-2023, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
I live in Nokomis near the Goodwill store. Several times a week I go to dialysis in Venice at Fresenius off of Indian Hills Blvd. I leave my house around 10:15 AM and usually arrive at Fresenius within 20 to 30 minutes (9.1 miles). Return ride home is at 3 PM. I would describe traffic as heavy - although it moves along at a decent pace. The only instances of when the traffic is stalled to a standstill is when there is an accident.

I no longer need my car for work so I sold it. I was tired of the heavy traffic/bad drivers and high insurance/repairs so I rely on delivery whenever I can (Walmart+ grocery delivery), I'll use Uber or a friend for a ride once in a while. My health insurance pays for rides to my medical appts. I'm more than happy to pay my friend for gas & her time. I've done the calculations and even after paying Uber or a friend for the occasional ride I'm saving money by not owning a car.

I live on an acre of land so I'm able to go for walks/exercise outdoors without having to drive somewhere to do it. I'm not going to ride a bicycle for transportation because from where I live it's too dangerous.

I still have my drivers license but I can say I get along just fine without a car and I don't intend to buy another one anytime soon. I had been parking my car outside in the driveway (no garage) and rats got inside the engine compartment and chewed up some wires. That was very expensive to fix. I tried mothballs and other things but nothing seemed to work to keep the critters out of my car. I got tired of dealing with it.
I see a day when self driving cars will be available to puck you up and take you home for your cars. I saw a piece on 60 minutes where they featured self driving tractor trailers already on the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area