Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 06:35 PM

3 posts, read 8,026 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are thinking about relocating to Sarasota County and are trying to get as much advice as possible. We are currently living in Providence RI and really like the feel and open mindness of New England but are sick and tired of winter! We love the water and would love to be on the beach all year. We have 2 young children (4 and 1).
Where would be the best area in Sarasota County to raise a family, live by the beach and ideally be in a walkable community? We are looking in the 400-500k price range.
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 08:29 PM

23 posts, read 46,372 times
I would look into Venice-just what you are looking for! you will love it! The Island of Venice has schools and the beach..shopping and quaint area-your price range as well. Honestly, I would not consider anywhere other than Venice-wish we had moved there!
Good Luck

Old 07-17-2008, 03:44 AM

321 posts, read 1,030,032 times
Arrow Visit & Find a Realtor

I would visit the area (if you haven't already). The above post heralds Venice, but with children ages 4 & 1, I'm not sure that's the right spot for you. You'll have to decide what order your wish list comes in... walkability first? Beach first? In your price range, you can find quite a few properties in Sarasota County right now. After visiting, find a realtor and let the hunt begin! You may find that you like Sarasota best, and don't mind sacrficing space... or you may find that being able to buy a large, well appointed house in North Port suits your needs, even though you would have to drive to the beach.

You didn't mention having to find a job. If you already have one, that should factor into where you buy as well.

Good luck!

Old 07-18-2008, 05:42 PM

3 posts, read 8,026 times
THanks so much for your input. We keep hearing about Venice and it sounds beautiful but we are a little worried about not being around very many families. Maybe this isn't true? We are going to be making a trip down hopefully in the next month to get more of a feel for the area.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:45 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,176,605 times
As far as i know, Venice is the place were you go to die.

If you want families, North Port, Sarasota or Bradenton would be your likely choice, due to much younger population then Venice.

What are your priorities? Beach, child education, neighborhood, pets, jobs. What exactly are you looking for?
I've been in Sarasota for over 16 years, and family friendly is a friendly as you make it. I don't know your standards, so when someone ask for a "family friendly", what does it mean?

Old 07-20-2008, 06:31 AM

414 posts, read 1,246,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukamso View Post
Hi. We are thinking about relocating to Sarasota County and are trying to get as much advice as possible. We are currently living in Providence RI and really like the feel and open mindness of New England but are sick and tired of winter! We love the water and would love to be on the beach all year. We have 2 young children (4 and 1).
Where would be the best area in Sarasota County to raise a family, live by the beach and ideally be in a walkable community? We are looking in the 400-500k price range.
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Hi lukamso,
We are from central Mass and bought in Sarasota. See my post titled "Just bought in Sarasota. Helpful hints." We are older than you and so kids are not a consideration. I will tell you that we looked at Venice and your kids will find plenty of surrogate grandparents there, but not too many playmates. Venice was even too old for us (55 and 54).
Good luck.

smiledoc1

Old 07-20-2008, 07:58 AM

128 posts, read 424,484 times
Dont be put off Venice. Why are family type developments being built - with child friendly community centres, football pitches, volley ball, skating etc if only the oldies live there? Not too sure 80 + yr olds would be into all that!!!! Take a look and decide yourselves.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:01 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,301,004 times
You know we just got back from Venice/Sarasota and I had been reading the board before I left and was aware that many thought that Venice was the land of Dinosaurs.

I have to say I saw just as many young people as I did Seniors but the Seniors we saw were walking, or bike riding (Lance Armstrong style),Jogging, riding scooters,etc. I didn't see them plowing into cars, hopping curbs, driving with their turn signals on for 10 miles,etc.passing out at the wheel, etc. like all the stories I have read. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I am thinking it is not the Seniors who live there. They are active.

I think it is the Snow birds who are out of shape both mentality and physically that come down and cause the craziness.

I actually loved the area. Clean,no litter, no graffiti, no punky looking kids hanging out on stree corners.etc.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:43 PM

960 posts, read 1,689,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet2007 View Post
Dont be put off Venice. Why are family type developments being built - with child friendly community centres, football pitches, volley ball, skating etc if only the oldies live there? Not too sure 80 + yr olds would be into all that!!!! Take a look and decide yourselves.
Could you list the all these family type developments?
The only development that was built recently with families in mind was Stoneybrook. Word is, is that it is a big whopping bust. It is not sold out and there are tons of empty houses there. Lots of rentals though for families in "transition".

And Jenny...Venice is really an old persons town. You should see it during season, omg... its like Jurrasic Park.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:53 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,681,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post

And Jenny...Venice is really an old persons town. You should see it during season, omg... its like Jurrasic Park.
Yes, absolutely right. Come for a visit anytime other than the hot summer months & the majority demographic of 70+ year olds abound. The only time I enjoy being in Venice is during the summer months. It's amazing the difference around you. And I live in Nokomis-full time resident. When the weather cools off, I go into Venice kicking & screaming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area