Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 11:32 AM

44 posts, read 145,968 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am interested in visiting Savannah, but before I decide on a trip, I wanted to get an idea of what it is like. I have been to several other surrounding southern cities and I am trying to reference their vibe for an idea of Savannah. While all of the following cities had uncountable positives, I want to compare the negatives to get the downside of Savannah.

Nashville: Great music on Honkeytonk street, but seemingly unfriendly everywhere else in the city.

Charleston SC: Absolutely the most beautiful but somewhat boring after a day.

Atlanta: Plenty to do, but way to "urban" in culture( for my taste).

New Orleans: Extremely friendly people, but an extremely unclean city.

How would Savannah compare to these other cities? Is it a very small town feel? Are there more than a few beer bars in town? What are the majority of people like? Is it very laid back? What area is best to stay in?

Thanks so much for any impressions that may be offered!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 11:42 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,538 times
Charleston.

Did you read the other posts on this forum? The answers to your other questions are there.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:43 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
Are you planning on seeing Savannah, or just that section known as the Historic District?

If so, the Historic District is more beautiful than Charleston, much cleaner than New Orleans, scads of beer places. You can even get your beer in to-go cups and walk around with it. The people in the Historic District are used to visitors and are very happy to see them.

I don't know if you could compare the HD's music with Nashville's. I think it would be a lot different.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:56 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Of the four cities you describe, Savannah is most like Charleston -- but much greener and much prettier. Next would come New Orleans; Savannah is a busy port city and has a similar "party vibe" atmosphere with lots of creative and interesting people from all over the world. River Street here is similar to Bourbon Street in New Orleans. People drink here and can walk around town with alcohol in their hands. But Savannah is much cleaner and safer than New Orleans. I don't know what Savannah has in common with Nashville. People here are extremely outgoing and friendly. There is nothing to compare Atlanta and Savannah with, except they're both in the state of Georgia.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:14 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,608,363 times
Bangkok.....

Old 07-24-2012, 08:46 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
Pffffff. None of them. Some of them. What's laid back? We don't have to audition for you. Come visit or don't. Makes no difference.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:01 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Pffffff. None of them. Some of them. What's laid back? We don't have to audition for you. Come visit or don't. Makes no difference.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:26 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Oh, snap!

Old 07-25-2012, 08:35 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aet08 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am interested in visiting Savannah, but before I decide on a trip, I wanted to get an idea of what it is like. I have been to several other surrounding southern cities and I am trying to reference their vibe for an idea of Savannah. While all of the following cities had uncountable positives, I want to compare the negatives to get the downside of Savannah.

Nashville: Great music on Honkeytonk street, but seemingly unfriendly everywhere else in the city.

Charleston SC: Absolutely the most beautiful but somewhat boring after a day.

Atlanta: Plenty to do, but way to "urban" in culture( for my taste).

New Orleans: Extremely friendly people, but an extremely unclean city.
Charleston would be the closest, but if you think it's boring after a day (which I don't understand; there's a good bit to see and do there for its size), you'll pretty much think the same about Savannah.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:21 PM

782 posts, read 1,356,378 times
Atlanta is larger, has more of an urban metropolis 'vibe' and points of interest are more spread out whereas most of Savannah's attractions are in the historic district/river street area and the feeling is more laid back making you feel like your on relaxing vacation; less of a hustle/bustle than Atlanta where to get anywhere you have to travel busy interstates and major roadways (not fun)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area