Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 08:41 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times

Advertisements

Something tells me that the regulars on this site would be especially qualified to contribute to this effort! I've got quite a few in mind myself and plan to participate What do y'all think?

The City of Savannah is asking the public’s help in creating its new 100 Worst Properties List as part of its larger anti-blight campaign, called Blight to Bright.

The 100 Worst Properties List is a list of the worst of the worst blighted properties in Savannah, and receive priority attention and tracking. The list, as well as enforcement actions, will be displayed on the City website, savannahga.gov. For the upcoming list, half of the 100 Worst Properties will come from Property Maintenance staff; the other half will come from the public.

Citizens can call 311 or go to Savannah, GA - Official Website, and provide an address, property condition description, and attach a photo (optional). City Property Maintenance inspectors will visit the property, and decide whether it makes the list.

Those that don’t make the list will be entered into the Property Maintenance work order system, where inspectors will work toward code compliance. Last year the City of Savannah Property Maintenance staff handled 13,466 cases, including exterior building violations, overgrown lots, and derelict vehicles.

As part of Blight to Bright, the City throughout the year will be regularly asking the public’s help, as well as launch an aggressive education campaign, as part of a stepped up effort against blight. Citizens can report blighted properties by calling 311, or using the 311 form at Savannah, GA - Official Website.

Savannah Wants You to Help Make 100 Worst Properties List - Local news, weather, sports Savannah | WSAV On Your Side
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 11:15 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
What do I think? Based on a similar outreach for help in identifying illegal rooming house some six years ago, it's a waste of time. In the case of illegal rooming houses you may also find the list on line and the tracking or progress of the case in court. It's meaningless. I can' t post details here on line as the city now avoids my calls regarding attempts to get updates. Let's just say the city doesn't know what to do with the issue of down and dirty houses, 100's of violations per home, and how to put those people on the street. They were successful with only one owner that I know of. He was given 7years in jail and an order to stop being an operator. Was out on appeal real quick and some people say he has family members running the business. Certain official in The Rooming House Task Force agree but refuse to talk about it because they are not quite ready to proceed to court. "It's long slow process Mr. Pink" yep, like six years and counting.

That being said I'll return to the subject thread. The city has a number of maintenance agents looking for buildings as described in OP. They will issue a complaint for very high grass for example and give 10 days to have it cut. If not cut they "may" send the city out and cut it and a send a $160 bill. So you see it would be to there advantage to have a tribe of people looking for this source of income. Well, not that easy. They put the charge on your water bill. It seems to me there are 100's of derelicts homes out there but I doubt they have a water account. In fact it's so easy to get water without an account I can't imagine how many people don't pay a water bill.

I have no trust or confidence with this city to accomplish what "they say" they want to do.

Let them get one program done (illegal rooming houses) and then I will be glad to post the entire list of 100 homes that they need.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:16 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,335 times
Very interesting post Mr. P. Completely serious question, how do they get water at these outlaw places then? Do they use bottled water? Somehow get an illegal connection?? Hope this thread grows, along with engagement of this issue by us citizens of this City, and that the City fully leverages citizen aid, and does not squander the opportunity, of as you said to have us help them address this problem.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
Very interesting post Mr. P. Completely serious question, how do they get water at these outlaw places then? Do they use bottled water? Somehow get an illegal connection?? Hope this thread grows, along with engagement of this issue by us citizens of this City, and that the City fully leverages citizen aid, and does not squander the opportunity, of as you said to have us help them address this problem.
Do you know how to shut the main at the curb? Turn it the other way and the water goes on. The valve is under the metal plate near the curb. It has a square head. The tool to open it is sold in Home Depot for about $9.00. I'm sure the people keep it off when not used as the water dept will eventually see usauage in a house with no account. How they catch that I don't know.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:27 PM

OK. But aren't we talking about properties that are falling down, over grown, boarded up and mostly uninhabitable? Are people really stealing water and squatting in these places?

Old 06-03-2014, 05:16 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,745,387 times
I wonder how many "concerned citizens" will identify the Hyatt as blighted and in need of tearing down? I'll co-sign.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I wonder how many "concerned citizens" will identify the Hyatt as blighted and in need of tearing down? I'll co-sign.
Haha!!

Old 06-03-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
OK. But aren't we talking about properties that are falling down, over grown, boarded up and mostly uninhabitable? Are people really stealing water and squatting in these places?
Think you're right. Doubt those properties that people are not living in/squatting are stealing water. On the other hand, any damn fool in the city can find
The type of properties you are describing. What do they need us for? Isn't that what Property Mantinance gets paid for?

Old 06-04-2014, 07:04 AM

8,070 posts, read 4,745,387 times
They just want people to feel like they're part of the solution, even if, like you said, nothing meaningful will be done with the information. I'm sure there are certain folks who pester the city with complaints about various issues, so this is the city's way of saying "Don't bother me, just send your suggestion to ____."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area