Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 12:41 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,168,045 times

Advertisements

Savannah seems to be racking these up lately...

Savannah ranked a top 10 World's Best City

By Savannah Morning News
Savannah ranked a top 10 World's Best City
Savannah Morning News
July 6, 2012 9:54 AM EDT
Copyright 2012 Savannah Now. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Travel + Leisure, one of the world's top travel magazines, has ranked Savannah on its 2012 World's Best Cities list.
The Hostess City clocks in at No. 8 among all North American competitors, ahead of Quebec and Honolulu. New York City ranks first. Atlanta did not make the list.
Savannah shares its No. 8 spot with premiere locales on other continents including Vienna, Beijing and Lima, Peru.
Travel + Leisure, published by the American Express Publishing Corporation, has 4.8 million readers. Rankings are based on reader voting.
For the complete list, visit http://www.travelandleisure.com/worldsbest/2012.
Savannah ranked a top 10 World's Best City | savannahnow.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 06:58 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,101,409 times
These surveys are meaningless, you know...

Old 07-07-2012, 07:43 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
They just visited that tiny little Historic District. I wonder where we would stand if they had visited the rest of it....warts and all.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:46 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
That's probably the case. We're going to be sorry this piece of misinformation was published.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:57 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Why all the naysaying? Why can't you natives just be proud of where you live? Swear to God, I'll never understand the negativity some people have about ANYTHING positive that happens and/or is said about the place? Readers of a VERY upscale travel publication name Savannah among their Top 10 favorite destinations and that's a problem because ... ?! You think people in Charleston complain this much? HA!

If it were up to some of y'all, the city would still be a crumbling ghetto.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:50 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
We are proud of where we live-- or we like where we live. But that doesn't mean the article is accurate or appreciated. Most of us travel occasionally and have seen other cities, even some of those in foreign countries.

It's sad. Have you ever been to Venice? The local population is outnumbered by tourists to a degree that is quite startling. BBC NEWS | Europe | Venice's vanishing population

The same is true to a large degree in Charleston, where many of the historic homes are second homes owned by wealthy investors who are seldom there. It has created a "ghost town" effect in the city center. Couldn't find the article, but here's something similar. Preparing for Tourism's Next Wave

We know that we have the rest of our city to live, work, and play in; but it's largely the ugly Savannah. Its like having your favorite restaurant becoming popular and suddenly you cat get a table,the prices go up, food qualitity diminishes, and its been ruined forever. Hey that's great, a consolation prize. lol.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:51 AM

Was this article about that teensy, tiny little part of the entire Savannah area called the Historic District, or was it about ALL of Savannah?

ALL of Savannah includes those high crime areas. Are we supposed to pretend that sectiions like that don't exsist?

Shall we pretend that we don't have schools that should be torn down and replaced, or housing projects that need to watch their tenants better?

And the decaying eyesore housing that just sits there and makes a particular section of Savannah a place to ignore?

Do we ignore the homeless that haunt our streets? Or the hoodlums that think that if they carry guns, they are macho men?

Ah, Yes, Let's pretend. A Southern Fairy Land! Who knows, if we pretend enough, we might even get more tourists to come see us......WOW!!! wouldn't that be just dandy!!

Old 07-08-2012, 09:22 AM

I didn't make myself clear.....IF we pretend that we are as wonderful as this article says, and as wonderful as many people prefer to think we are, then we tend to shut our eyes to those things that need to be improved. We ignore the bad until it becomes more than can be handled.

Then what happens?

Old 07-08-2012, 11:38 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,533,867 times
I wish Savannah would grow out of all this historic city crap and become a true city near the beach I'm really tired of atlanta being the greatest of the great
Savannah should really try to become more of what they already are
That's what I would like

Old 07-08-2012, 12:51 PM

614 posts, read 1,102,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Kid View Post
I wish Savannah would grow out of all this historic city crap and become a true city near the beach I'm really tired of atlanta being the greatest of the great
Savannah should really try to become more of what they already are
That's what I would like
Huh? Don't let the Chicago, Boston, DMV, etc... folks see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area