Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 05:16 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
Well, lessee.... We're down to just one grocery store. Zero hardware stores, One car repair place, One barber shop (I know there are more expensive luxury hair salons), one drug store, the list goes on. If you don't own a car, you are riding a bus to find any semblance of variety in such things. In previous years, there were multiple options for each of these services.
We only really had one good grocery store downtown for years anyway (Kroger). Okay, Firestone is closing. Good. That property is much better suited for better things. I never took my car there anyway. There's the Acura shop that I actually took my car to a decent amount when I lived in Savannah. You said yourself there are many more salons around...so that takes care of the hair cut. I don't remember downtown having a drug store for years. Unless you're a builder nut, I don't think a hardware store is a necessity. Most people drive to those anyway.

So downtown doesn't have everything. Most of the necessities are covered though. IMO they are at least. Anyone else want to chime in on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 05:33 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
We only really had one good grocery store downtown for years anyway (Kroger). Okay, Firestone is closing. Good. That property is much better suited for better things. I never took my car there anyway. There's the Acura shop that I actually took my car to a decent amount when I lived in Savannah. You said yourself there are many more salons around...so that takes care of the hair cut. I don't remember downtown having a drug store for years. Unless you're a builder nut, I don't think a hardware store is a necessity. Most people drive to those anyway.

So downtown doesn't have everything. Most of the necessities are covered though. IMO they are at least. Anyone else want to chime in on this?

Yep, where am I going to buy my high button shoes?? I need a new pair for Christmas.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:22 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
M
Quote:

There's been a drug store at the corner of Bull and State streets for decades -- maybe a 100 years even. For most of the early part of the last century, it was a Walgreens. This is very prominent in the opening scene of the original 1962 version of "Cape Fear." Later it became Revco. Today it is a CVS with a full-service pharmacy. It is the highest-grossing CVS in the entire Savannah region.

Directly across the street is a full service barber shop. There is another on Bryan Street near City Market. I'm certain there are others.

There are plenty of services still left downtown -- lawyers, doctors, dentists, loan companies, Bradley Lock & Key.

All the banks are headquartered downtown. All the local governments are based downtown. The courts are all downtown. The federal government has a huge presence downtown. The FBI, the Army Corp of Engineers, the U.S. Attorneys Office for the Savannah Region -- all downtown.

Downtown Savannah has the largest residential population, concentration of local and national retailers, and bars and restaurants of any downtown in Georgia -- including Atlanta. Think about it.

Downtown Savannah is far more than just SCAD kids and tourists.

Last edited by Newsboy; 11-28-2014 at 08:33 PM..

Old 11-28-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
M

There's been a drug store at the corner of Bull and State streets for decades -- maybe a 100 years even. For most of the early part of the last century, it was a Walgreens. This is very prominent in the opening scene of the original 1962 version of "Cape Fear." Later it became Revco. Today it is a CVS with a full-service pharmacy. It is the highest-grossing CVS in the entire Savannah region.
Oops! I don't know how I could've possibly forgotten that CVS! The one that never stays open late. Never understood that.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:59 PM

974 posts, read 1,148,632 times
Yes, yes... Savannah's not lacking in ALL services. But, the trend is in the tourist direction. That is, unless you live in a hotel, or don't need to park on the street, or if you eat out all the time, and have no desire to shop anywhere other than Kroger for your stuff (personally, not my favorite grocery chain by a long shot).

There's a reason that's the highest grossing pharmacy in the Savannah region - it's the only one in the densest part of town, and yes, that's true even though it's closed part of the night, so that should tell you something. On every other street corner from midtown to the southside to the islands, there are many more choices.

Yeah, lawyers. The only time we've had a shortage of those downtown was when Oglethorpe originally outlawed them. Ever since, we have had a bumper crop.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:24 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,184,220 times
Quote:
M

Downtown Savannah has the largest residential population, concentration of local and national retailers, and bars and restaurants of any downtown in Georgia -- including Atlanta. Think about it.

Downtown Savannah is far more than just SCAD kids and tourists.
Ummm no it does not. There are more national retailers in downtown Savannah, but Atlanta's downtown population is much larger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
Yes, yes... Savannah's not lacking in ALL services. But, the trend is in the tourist direction. That is, unless you live in a hotel, or don't need to park on the street, or if you eat out all the time, and have no desire to shop anywhere other than Kroger for your stuff (personally, not my favorite grocery chain by a long shot).

Its seems to me that the presence of all the tourists has created more retail and service options than would otherwise exist based on the population.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:16 AM

974 posts, read 1,148,632 times
It just turns out that the needs of tourists don't align all that closely with the needs of permanent residents. When people are on holiday in given place, they are just more likely to be shopping for a Michael Kors dress than they are a jar of peanut butter.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Oops! I don't know how I could've possibly forgotten that CVS! The one that never stays open late. Never understood that.
They're open until 9 pm or so. I don't think it's a wise idea having a 24 hour (or late-night) drugstore in downtown Savannah, considering the drunks factor. That just wouldn't be safe or smart IMO.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
They're open until 9 pm or so. I don't think it's a wise idea having a 24 hour (or late-night) drugstore in downtown Savannah, considering the drunks factor. That just wouldn't be safe or smart IMO.
I could be wrong, but didn't it used to be open until 6 or 7pm?

Old 11-29-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I could be wrong, but didn't it used to be open until 6 or 7pm?
Uh ... you didn't even remember it was there at all, so ... yeah ... maybe ... whatever ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area