Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2015, 07:26 AM

6,460 posts, read 4,978,494 times

Advertisements

I am recently retired and my wife and I visited Savannah recently and fell in love with it. The architecture, lively culture, lots of young people, restored buildings, trees, restaurants etc. We had been looking in Florida but decided that Savannah might be a good place since it has relatively cheap housing and proximity to the ocean since we wanted to live near the water. We even took a quick visit to the Landings on Skidaway Island before we returned home. I have been reading about Savannah and the high crime rate really troubles me. 23 Homicides so far as of August with only 8 solved. 3 shootings 1 sexual assault, 1 attempted sexual assault and 1 bank robbery in the last 3 days. Poverty rate of 26.6%. I realize that many of the crimes occur between the African Americans in certain areas of the city and all cities have their good and bad areas but this is troubling. I don't see much being done about it. The school are not very good either. The police chief was sentenced to 7.5 years in prison. I am from Buffalo NY which is no paragon of virtue and has plenty of homicides mostly in the east side of the city in the African American section. The schools here are some of the worst in the state. Buffalo is also the 3rd poorest city in the USA with a 31% poverty rate. I bring up Buffalo because I have lived here 62 years and was looking to get away from this. I live in a safe suburb and have never been assaulted but I almost never venture into the city. I know we can live in a safe gated community in Savannah with little or no crime but what makes Savannah special is the beautiful historic district, its vibrant arts scene etc. We have been rethinking our decision to move there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 08:47 AM

975 posts, read 1,154,818 times
It's safe to say Savannah ain't Buffalo for a host of reasons. To allay your concerns, the crime is disproportionately found in the poor sections of town between people who live within those areas. Every once in a great while something crazy happens late at night in the tourist districts. Very few random violent crimes happen outside the typical, predictable zones. If you're retiring here, I'm not sure why the schools concern you too much - will you have family moving here with you? And, that police chief was his own special case, and is long gone.

It sounds like you would be perfect candidates for the Landings. It's a quick jump downtown now that the Truman and the new bridge are completed. And, you'd be about as safe as you would be anywhere else in the country. There is a high Yankee factor, and if you play golf, it's tough to beat. The medical care for an isolated city of our size is excellent, and the weather sure beats Buffalo, NY. Any place is sort of what you make it, but you'd have ample opportunity here to meet people and make a home.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:11 AM

13,704 posts, read 21,982,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
It's safe to say Savannah ain't Buffalo for a host of reasons. To allay your concerns, the crime is disproportionately found in the poor sections of town between people who live within those areas. Every once in a great while something crazy happens late at night in the tourist districts. Very few random violent crimes happen outside the typical, predictable zones. If you're retiring here, I'm not sure why the schools concern you too much - will you have family moving here with you? And, that police chief was his own special case, and is long gone.

It sounds like you would be perfect candidates for the Landings. It's a quick jump downtown now that the Truman and the new bridge are completed. And, you'd be about as safe as you would be anywhere else in the country. There is a high Yankee factor, and if you play golf, it's tough to beat. The medical care for an isolated city of our size is excellent, and the weather sure beats Buffalo, NY. Any place is sort of what you make it, but you'd have ample opportunity here to meet people and make a home.
^^^^ THIS!

Your concerens about the *perception* of crime are valid however, and the people in charge need to know that people in Buffalo, NY are taking notice. If you haven't already, PLEASE send a copy of your concerns via letter to the Savannah Morning News, the mayor, members of the city council, our county commission chairman, police chief, etc. Ths is a MAJOR issue in Savannah right now and I know for a fact they are all very worried about the city's image. You'll be doing all of us a favor.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:01 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,121,806 times
Agree with NB. And Thundarr: you could word your letter exactly as you have worded your post. You cover all the basic fears about Savannah very eloquently, I think. Would be a great letter to the editor in the Savannah Morning News.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:30 AM

4,119 posts, read 6,625,370 times
The landings is about as safe as you can get, just beware of the gators in the ponds and you should be alright.

The majority of all the violent crimes in concentrated in a few ghetto neighborhoods.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:39 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,284,446 times
The Landings is probably one of the safest neighborhoods in the country.

This shows where the crime is. http://savannahnow.com/savannah-aggr...sault-hot-spot

As you can see it's mostly only where the major public housing projects are. (Yamacraw, Kayton Frazier, and that one on the east side). Probably not places you will be visiting.

That being said, I am often sad such a beautiful city has such crime. Very sad. Especially for the kids growing up here, to be in such danger and get jaded to such awfulness. But during the day it is usually safe downtown. And no city won't have crime so if you go to a downtown, that is just the way it is.

Last edited by SavannahLife; 08-20-2015 at 05:48 PM..

Old 08-21-2015, 05:59 AM

4,119 posts, read 6,625,370 times
Now SavannahLife,

Yamacraw is going to be on the upswing from where it is today after they get the food trucks which are banned downtown and in the historic district.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:40 AM

643 posts, read 848,087 times
Yamacraw sounds like a nice foreign style of cuisine.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Now SavannahLife,

Yamacraw is going to be on the upswing from where it is today after they get the food trucks which are banned downtown and in the historic district.
lol. They'll have bullet-proof food trucks?

Sure it's on the upswing. Edna Jackson has virtually guaranteed it, with the goal to revitalize the MLK corridor, create a "canal district" and build a giant shiny new Arena. Businesses will make their stooges (Edna, rest of council) do what they want. Edna Jackson is bought and paid for. New businesses will not locate in a crime-ridden area. So they will make sure that Edna makes sure that Yamacraw is moved farther west. So in the end this is all good. It will result in a safer downtown.

Last edited by SavannahLife; 08-21-2015 at 07:47 AM..

Old 08-21-2015, 11:40 AM

oh wait I saw the other thread, I get it. We are being funny today. That is ok. Today is Friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area