Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 10:52 AM

175 posts, read 421,401 times

Advertisements

I have heared about this, just wondering WHAT it smells like? Poo? Chemicals? Feet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 04:17 PM

146 posts, read 468,184 times
It smells like wet, moldy cardboard boxes.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:14 PM

10 posts, read 34,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Ruehl View Post
I have heared about this, just wondering WHAT it smells like? Poo? Chemicals? Feet?
At times it smells like all 3. lol

Old 11-20-2010, 06:54 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,443,479 times
It's sulphury. It's certainly not pleasant and has been in the air a little too much over the past few days.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:50 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,969,640 times
I've been told the smell isn't damaging to one's health. I'm still a bit skeptical. Aren't there laws prohibiting such smells?

Old 11-21-2010, 07:50 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,178,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I've been told the smell isn't damaging to one's health. I'm still a bit skeptical. Aren't there laws prohibiting such smells?
There are laws. BUT, Mother Nature sometimes sets up weather conditions that intensify the conditions that make it worse.

It's ever so much better than it used to be in the "good old days." There weren't clothes dryers then and the clothes that dried on the clothesline, stunk to high heaven. The smell went for MILES! Children that lived on the westside were shunned in school because they smelled so bad. (I'm talking about the 1930s and 40s.)

Laws have been enacted to cut down on emissions. But where ever you have manufacturing, there are likely to be some.

Just wait. The odor will disappear and we might not have another spell like this one for years.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:05 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,443,479 times
Maybe someone with time on their hands can start making phone calls. I've noticed that it's not easy to find a stink hotline.

Here's a link to the Savannah plant's contact info. Get in touch with International Paper in Savannah, GA.

Perhaps people with questions and complaints will call and find out what the company says.

And I searched for a contact number for the Georgia EPD's air quality division and this is the best I could come up with. Maybe some brave soul will try it and see what happens.

https://www.cleanaircampaign.org/About-Us/Contact-Us
Georgia Environmental Protection Division - Home Page

The city's environmental affairs office number: Environmental Affairs Office
(912) 651-6943

There is also a county environmental health office that is supposed to handle air quality complaints. Phone: 912-356-2160
Fax: 912-356-2969
Chatham County Health Department Coastal Health District

Last edited by ellie; 11-21-2010 at 09:21 AM..

Old 11-21-2010, 09:45 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,178,043 times
It makes you wonder, doesn't it! Is this really all about the weather, or is someone just messing around with something in the plant?

I believe that they had to install some sort of 'scrubber' in the chimneys to eliminate most of the smoke products. Are they still working as they should? I remember that the cost of putting them in was out of this world. But they sure improved things.

I really do feel for those that are on the western side. It can be dreadful. If it's being noticed even in the historic district, it's a bit unusual. That's one reason for living on the Islands.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:17 PM

8,068 posts, read 4,743,239 times
That smell has alwayd been around, but like others have said, we don't get it as much as we used to. I grew up in Effingham, where the sea breeze would often push it up-river. Many Effingham residents back then (1980's-early 1990's) worked for Union Camp (now Int'l Paper), so when people would ask "What's that smell?" some would reply "that's the smell of money".

The sulphur-y/rotten egg smell used to be more...pungent? than today, since IP has scaled back production somewhat and because there's a lot more technology applied to lessen the smell. Still, on an overcast day that smell would stay at ground level rather than going up into the atmosphere.

The same particulants generating that smell are also repsonsible for the bleached-out patches on the hoods and roofs of cars in the area. The particles descending from the smokestacks react with the paint/metal. You could almost always tell if someone worked for Union Camp (IP) by the condition of their paint job!

Old 11-22-2010, 05:19 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Well if you think it's bad, you should drive down I-95 to Midway / South Newport area and take a big whiff of the plant down there -- visible from the interstate but otherwise out in the middle of nowhere, and thus not held to the same odor control standards of IP and others in more populated areas. It will make your stomach turn on a good day. There's another plant in the netherland of SW Georgia that's the same wretched sickening smell. Having lived in Savannah in the early '90s, and then returnng, I can assure you it is NOTHING close to what it once was. The past few days have been an anomally brought on by colder weather. ALSO: What many people assme is the smell of the paper mills is often in fact decaying matter in the marshes, especially this time of year. The odor is similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area