Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 13,314 times

Advertisements

I have always loved the area and hope to relocate there someday. I don't want to live in the city, but maybe 30-40 minutes or so outside in a small main street type downtown. I want to be able to walk to restaurants, shopping, grocery, activities, etc. I would love an old historic house...not too big. Not more than 10 minutes from a major mall or shopping center either. I like to be close to everything but without HUGE traffic as you would get right in the city. Is there a town such as this nearby? I have looked at posts but they never seem to state if there is an actual downtown area. I'm the artsy type if that helps. Would love a place with lots of festivals and activities. Is that asking too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 09:11 AM

474 posts, read 587,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiletime82 View Post
I have always loved the area and hope to relocate there someday. I don't want to live in the city, but maybe 30-40 minutes or so outside in a small main street type downtown. I want to be able to walk to restaurants, shopping, grocery, activities, etc. I would love an old historic house...not too big. Not more than 10 minutes from a major mall or shopping center either. I like to be close to everything but without HUGE traffic as you would get right in the city. Is there a town such as this nearby? I have looked at posts but they never seem to state if there is an actual downtown area. I'm the artsy type if that helps. Would love a place with lots of festivals and activities. Is that asking too much?
The only major malls are in the City of Savannah or Pooler. But let's say you're okay with a smaller mall or shopping center nearby, then I'd suggest Beaufort South, Carolina. It takes just under an hour to get there from downtown Savannah via US-17 and SC HWY 170. It's has the downtown feel I think you're looking for. It's a historic town with walkable restaurants and shops.

However, you'll have to drive 10 minutes to the nearest grocery store (Bi-Lo or Publix) and you'll need to drive about 15 minutes to the nearest major shopping center (WalMart, Best Buy, JC Penney, TJ Maxx, Belk etc). The downtown definitely has the history you're looking for with walkable restaurants and shops.

For artsy, I'd suggest Tybee Island, GA (although its history is more rooted in the early 20th century). Of course, Tybee is 25 minutes from downtown Savannah with good traffic (a fix is in the works for the traffic though).

You may also consider Statesboro, GA.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:49 AM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
Heheh, Statesboro's Main Street goes in all four directions, so you'll definitely get 'that feel' one way or another.

It has a sMall (no, that's not a typo) and lots of national retail chains because it is, by and large, a college town. The walk-ability in and around the university campus is excellent, though the rest of the town might be easier via car (or even bicycle). Living near the campus will of course mean living alongside throngs of college students, though. There are lots of older, historic buildings and homes, but fewer and fewer every year if you get my drift. I lived in a 1920s-era home for several years when I attended GSU, and when I returned a few years later it had been town down and a boxy government building built on the lot. S'boro is an hour from Savannah.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:29 AM

23,443 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Brunswick, GA is about 1 hr 15 min south of Savannah; it's a river town with a charming little downtown and Victorian District. Very affordable, too.
You might also consider the very lovely town of Bluffton, SC.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:05 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Brunswick, Statesboro, Pebroke in Georgia
Bluffton or Beaufort in South Carolina

If you want access to a historic walkable downtown with artsy people and lots of festivals -- why not just live in a Savannah? There are plenty of nice affordable SAFE neighborhoods outside of the urban core and within 15-20 minutes drive of the Historic District. I live on Wilmington Island and that's what I do. In fact, I'm at the Whitemarsh Island Walmart right now about to go downtown for happy hour next!

Old 03-30-2016, 06:45 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,864 times
Beaufort. It's like if Savannah and Charleston had a little baby together. Within an hour of downtown Sav, and just a touch over an hour for Charleston.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:18 PM

974 posts, read 1,148,632 times
Beaufort/Port Royal really is a good fit for this question. I am not sure you'd be satisfied in a Statesboro. Bluffton-proper might be too small (and recently surrounded by new construction of cul-de-sacs and gated communities).

Old 04-01-2016, 02:43 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
If you want a main street type feel, Pembroke is the only small town I can think of in close proximity to downtown Savannah you'll get and it is about 25 minutes or so to the nearest shopping mall (Tanger Outlets in Pooler).

Any little suburban town within Chatham county won't fit the bill if you want small town main street.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:15 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
I still say just live in Savannah

Old 04-07-2018, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 9,055 times
Looking for 1 bedroom apartment or house near the Savannah area that has decent rent and a nice quiet country like surroundings. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area