Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for, or against Issue One?
For state control of failing Savannah schools. 4 40.00%
Against state control of failing Savannah schools. 6 60.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 07:12 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

In case you don't know, it is the issue that will allow the state of GA to control several failing Savannah schools (almost 200, state wide). I keep going back and forth in my thinking. Normally, I am against the loss of local control under any circumstances, and I understand that a couple of other states have tried this and the results were mixed.

There is a good argument that state takeover of failing schools will not do anything to solve the reasons that the schools are failing, which are crime and poverty in the affected areas.

The takeover would last for 10 years, and at that time, the control would revert back. Part of me is thinking, why not try it?

Our school board blames the fact that the goal line keep changing. They say they are working on the problem, but for how long is this excuse acceptable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 08:24 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

There is a good argument that state takeover of failing schools will not do anything to solve the reasons that the schools are failing, which are crime and poverty in the affected areas.

The takeover would last for 10 years, and at that time, the control would revert back. Part of me is thinking, why not try it?
I don't know a thing about this issue but concerning "why not try it"...doesn't make sense at all with your prior statement of " "will not do anything to solve the reasons that schools are failing".

Is that called "sitting on a fence" and do not have an informed opinion (like me)?

Old 10-30-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
I don't know a thing about this issue but concerning "why not try it"...doesn't make sense at all with your prior statement of " "will not do anything to solve the reasons that schools are failing".

Is that called "sitting on a fence" and do not have an informed opinion (like me)?
But it could be that the argument about the failures being the fault of the neighborhoods, is just an excuse. I have seen stories of the children in the bleakest inner city schools finding a haven to thrive and succeed in their schools.

That is the reason for my post. I seem a bit stuck. Truthfully, if Dems and unions are in favor of something, that is usually enough information for me to be against something. Conversely, it doesn't compute that Nathan Deal would be in favor of big govt interference, over local control, but yet he is.

Stuff isn't adding up, so I just want to get some other's thoughts about it. Really, I don't have a dog in the fight.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:39 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Actually we all have a dog in the fight when it comes to the BOTTOM line lol.

Dog in
+the
+fight
_____

$$$$$ (tax payer)

Old 10-30-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Actually we all have a dog in the fight when it comes to the BOTTOM line lol.

Dog in
+the
+fight
_____

$$$$$ (tax payer)
Of course, but the school board has carte blanche now so I doubt it could be worse.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:37 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
One government entity taking over for another. Not to mention one that is even further removed from the community and the issues involved.
No good will come of it. Just add it to the ash heap of failed government education policies that we've witnessed time and again.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
One government entity taking over for another. Not to mention one that is even further removed from the community and the issues involved.
No good will come of it. Just add it to the ash heap of failed government education policies that we've witnessed time and again.
This is what my gut tells me, too.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:32 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Of course, but the school board has carte blanche now so I doubt it could be worse.
Oh it can get worse. A school district nearby was taken over by the state here in NY. I hasn't really gotten any better for them. Students are still failing, common core is killing education.

One reason I am bailing to head to GA is that I work for a small city school district here. We have had 10-yes 10 superintendents in 9 years. All of them got big buyouts. Now they just paid a firm to do a "search". Well who in their right might wants to work for place that makes the newspaper on a regular basis? Only number 11 who see's $$$. We have heard rumblings the state might take it over because of school board turmoil and lack of leadership. Moral is in the tank and forget about getting answers from any department.

While it sounds like it "might" be a solution, be watching closely. I don't think there's a easy answer to getting schools turned around.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:33 PM

8,071 posts, read 4,747,652 times
Me, as well. There's no bad situation that government interference can't make worse.

Teachers' unions might see it as a bonanza, since higher-ups in government tend to chant "throw money at it" as an all-purpose Big Government Solution. "Oh, if only we paid the teachers more, gave them more classroom stuff...the students would learn more." Ummm, no. The teachers' unions have become infamous for protecting bad teachers and making it virtually impossible to fire them and replace them with better teachers. They're all about raking in union dues, not doing what's best for the students. So if they support something, I tend to reflexively (cynically) follow the money motive.

That said, every time I see "Issue 1" discussions like this, I read it in my mind in the late John McLaughlin's booming voice, as he would open every episode of his PBS show by announcing "ISSUE ONE!"

Old 10-30-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Me, as well. There's no bad situation that government interference can't make worse.

Teachers' unions might see it as a bonanza, since higher-ups in government tend to chant "throw money at it" as an all-purpose Big Government Solution. "Oh, if only we paid the teachers more, gave them more classroom stuff...the students would learn more." Ummm, no. The teachers' unions have become infamous for protecting bad teachers and making it virtually impossible to fire them and replace them with better teachers. They're all about raking in union dues, not doing what's best for the students. So if they support something, I tend to reflexively (cynically) follow the money motive.

That said, every time I see "Issue 1" discussions like this, I read it in my mind in the late John McLaughlin's booming voice, as he would open every episode of his PBS show by announcing "ISSUE ONE!"
I agree totally with your first sentence.

I presume the teachers union is against the Issue because the state can come in and sweep out the teachers and administrators in the affected schools. I think there is a better chance for more funding from the local school board, and if I'm a lousy teacher, I can always get a job at one of these schools that better teachers won't work at.

I don't mean to disparage the teachers at those schools. I'm sure some of them are dedicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: