Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 03:44 PM

6 posts, read 9,153 times

Advertisements

I am going to fly to Savannah, GA in September 2024 with my adult granddaughter. We would like to get an uber (or some form of transportation) from the airport to a nice hotel downtown where we can walk or take public transportation to restaurants, etc. Then we plan to get a ride to Tybee Island for a couple of days and stay in a hotel or resort where we can walk to beach, restaurants, etc. Any suggestions for a moderately priced vacation to this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2024, 12:11 PM

974 posts, read 1,148,632 times
Depends on your definition of "moderately priced." In my estimation, Savannah, and by extension, Tybee Island, have become "expensive" for amenities and dining. That's especially true for lodging. There aren't many conveniently located hotels, B&Bs, inns or vacation rentals that come in at prices that can be called moderate. Same with most restaurants.

Tybee used to have more distinct seasonal pricing for lodging, but it fluctuates less these days. You're best off checking around early. If you want a vacation rental, look at Tybee Vacation Rentals, and see what you can get. For hotels, you might be best off contacting them directly for the best pricing instead of clearinghouse web sites like Expedia. Tybee's having a moment with new contentious STR ordinance under consideration (https://www.wjcl.com/article/tybee-i...-pass/46918020). But, that's unlikely to affect pricing too much at the moment.

Old 02-24-2024, 05:38 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
So, is a car rental out of the question? You will spend a lot of money in transportation if you rely on others.
What I would do is rent a car at the airport, stay in the historic district with parking included, walk everywhere in town, but drive to Tybee.

Old 02-25-2024, 06:30 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So, is a car rental out of the question? You will spend a lot of money in transportation if you rely on others.
What I would do is rent a car at the airport, stay in the historic district with parking included, walk everywhere in town, but drive to Tybee.
Are there "nice" hotels in the historic district that offer free parking? And by "free" I don't mean parking included, but at a higher rate than a room without parking included. Because if it is included in the rate, but at a higher cost than a reservation without parking included, then parking the rental still needs to be factored into the cost equation.

Old 02-25-2024, 07:29 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Are there "nice" hotels in the historic district that offer free parking? And by "free" I don't mean parking included, but at a higher rate than a room without parking included. Because if it is included in the rate, but at a higher cost than a reservation without parking included, then parking the rental still needs to be factored into the cost equation.
As far as I know, there isn't. The 3 main less expensive chain hotels on Bay St, Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn and Hotel Indigo all charge for parking. It's almost impossible anymore in a major tourist area to find a hotel with free parking. Some of the airbnb around historic district may have free parking.

An Uber out to Tybee is going to cost minimum $50 plus tip one way, so a charge for parking may be the same as Uber costs.

Also far as I know there is only one hotel on Tybee, no resorts in the true sense of word, best with short term rental
Tybeevacationrentals.com

Old 02-25-2024, 08:51 AM

Quality Inn is a good location and charges $21. a night for parking, which puts it at about $150.

Old 02-25-2024, 10:49 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I'd recommend a cottage rental in the historic district in walking distance of everything with dedicated parking included. Here's a couple examples..

https://www.vrbo.com/2601046?dateles...rtyId=74199456

https://www.vrbo.com/1485854?dateles...rtyId=32156721

Old 02-28-2024, 06:41 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Quality Inn is a good location and charges $21. a night for parking, which puts it at about $150.
Exactly! So why recommend that someone rent a car for a week, plus pay $150 for parking, when all they want to do for the week is walk around the historic district and then spend a couple of days in Tybee?

Their total cost for roundtrip taxi from/to the airport to the historic district is only $56 ($28 flat fare each way), and another $50 for roundtrip Uber from the historic district from/to Tybee. Even with tips the total would still be less than just the cost to park the rental car, and then you'd have that cost in as well.

And it would be even cheaper if they only need 3 rides instead of 4 by going directly back to the airport from Tybee. In that case, they'd have a $28 taxi ride from the airport to downtown, a $25 Uber ride to Tybee, and then a $38 Uber ride from Tybee directly to the airport (according to UberFareFinder). That adds up to only $93 + tips. Much more cost effective than renting a car and paying for parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
An Uber out to Tybee is going to cost minimum $50 plus tip one way, so a charge for parking may be the same as Uber costs.
How did you come up with a minimum $50 for a one-way trip? I just plugged in a trip from Bay St. to the Admiral's Inn on Butler Ave on UberFareFinder and it came to exactly $24.96.

Old 02-28-2024, 07:28 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Exactly! So why recommend that someone rent a car for a week, plus pay $150 for parking, when all they want to do for the week is walk around the historic district and then spend a couple of days in Tybee?

Their total cost for roundtrip taxi from/to the airport to the historic district is only $56 ($28 flat fare each way), and another $50 for roundtrip Uber from the historic district from/to Tybee. Even with tips the total would still be less than just the cost to park the rental car, and then you'd have that cost in as well.

And it would be even cheaper if they only need 3 rides instead of 4 by going directly back to the airport from Tybee. In that case, they'd have a $28 taxi ride from the airport to downtown, a $25 Uber ride to Tybee, and then a $38 Uber ride from Tybee directly to the airport (according to UberFareFinder). That adds up to only $93 + tips. Much more cost effective than renting a car and paying for parking.

How did you come up with a minimum $50 for a one-way trip? I just plugged in a trip from Bay St. to the Admiral's Inn on Butler Ave on UberFareFinder and it came to exactly $24.96.
Depends on time of day and if there is anything going on.......surge pricing. What you plugged in today may not be the case 6 months from now at 4PM. depending on time I've paid anywhere from $25 to $45 for an uber from Wilmington Island to airport

Old 02-28-2024, 09:27 AM

Quote:

I’d rather have the piece of mind of being able to go where I want to go, when I want to go, without depending on others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area