Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:41 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times

Advertisements

Would anyone like to try to explain how this effect occurs?

I'm assuming it is because, unlike still photos of stage coach wheels turning backwards, the recording camera scans down the subject, so movement makes a slightly different scene appear in each succeeding scan line.

Bizarre Effect: This is what happens when you record a plane's propellers with a cell phone. [VIDEO]

I've noticed that on TV commercials for cars, as sophisticated as our technology has become for manipulating digital images, we still can't (or don't) make car wheels look like they are turning in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 09:57 AM

181 posts, read 299,576 times
That's weird

Old 08-31-2010, 05:06 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Shopped

Old 08-31-2010, 06:25 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,690,453 times
Most likely manipulated.

It helps to know what you are looking at. The propeller tips have the white stripes. The roots are black. The video makes it appear that they are passing right through the hub.

I first thought that we were looking at another engine, but that is the right inboard engine. I can't say how they did it, but I don't think that is a natural occurance.

Edit: I watched it a few more times. Facing forward the propeller is turning in a clockwise direction. Look at the hub, you can see the prop coming towards you from the bottom. At about the 7:00 position, you can see two props blended together. There are white tips on both ends. It could be the slow shutter speed on the camera blending the two together. That is most likely a 5, or 6 bladed prop. So I'm leaning towards a natural affect from the camera.

I know that I would never convict anybody on just pictures anymore. They had better have some other hardcore evidence

Last edited by South Range Family; 08-31-2010 at 06:33 PM..

Old 08-31-2010, 09:02 PM

240 posts, read 385,780 times
Thats amazing, a cellphone camera with slow motion. Once its downloaded to a computer video production program anything is possible.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:13 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,372,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Would anyone like to try to explain how this effect occurs?

I'm assuming it is because, unlike still photos of stage coach wheels turning backwards, the recording camera scans down the subject, so movement makes a slightly different scene appear in each succeeding scan line.

Bizarre Effect: This is what happens when you record a plane's propellers with a cell phone. [VIDEO]

I've noticed that on TV commercials for cars, as sophisticated as our technology has become for manipulating digital images, we still can't (or don't) make car wheels look like they are turning in the right direction.
That's mainly due to the sampling rate of any video recording device being very slow relative to the motion. Even if it's fake (which could be true since it's not blurry at all), most video is around 30 frames a second, but in order to catch the real motion you would need over twice the rate of the motion in action. So if the wheels spin at 100 rotations a second, you would need at least 200 frames a second to catch it correctly. There are various high speed motion capture cameras available, but at significantly greater cost than normal devices.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:11 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,277,027 times
How Did An iPhone Take This Picture?

Old 09-01-2010, 09:50 AM

713 posts, read 3,439,128 times

YouTube - First Solo at Seletar Airport

Old 09-04-2010, 04:04 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Frame rate combined with scan rate within frame, data is transferred from the CCD to memory as serial data.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Frame rate combined with scan rate within frame, data is transferred from the CCD to memory as serial data.
In other words, if I may translate, the entire image is not simultaneously being captured true-form, as it would be in a mechanical shutter open-close cycle. Different lines of the image are being captured at different times, with the prop blade in a new location with each scan. So each line of the scan shows that line of the prop image in a new place, that doesn't match up with its old location in the previous scan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology