Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2017, 06:36 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,322,724 times

Advertisements

I ran across this article and it made me laugh. I wanted to post it here under Science because biology is science.

https://qz.com/1023638/the-gulls-are...conservatives/

I have always thought that sexual orientation is determined by birth. Some people just won't accept facts.

How about you?

Old 07-10-2017, 08:24 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Then you'll enjoy this - Homosexual Activity Among Animals Stirs Debate

For more, just google "homosexual pair-bonding in animals".

You could just google "homosexual behavior in animals", but it's the pair bonding and mutual parenting that is such interesting behavior.

Yes, sexual orientation is largely genetic, with the caveat that genes are always expressed in an environment, so you cannot really separate the effects of environment and genes. And of course, there's a range of behaviors that fall under the label of homosexual. Utterly fascinating stuff.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:03 PM

119 posts, read 174,301 times
I'm just curious how they determined the seagulls were "lesbian". If I understand what is being implied, if two people of the same sex cohabitate they are automatically homosexual?
The article states "Since then, homosexual behavior has been documented in many hundreds of species, .....exhibiting the same type of apparently non-sexual, long-term, same-sex pairing the Hunts found in the gulls."
Apparently I'm gay and didn't know it. I have never had sexual relations with a guy but I did live with one for 20 years. He's going to be upset to find out that all those years we thought we were sexually active heterosexual bachelors we were actually in a homosexual relationship.
Damn, I was born gay and didn't even know it. I'm ordering some rainbow flags right now.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:15 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmogrifier View Post
I'm just curious how they determined the seagulls were "lesbian". If I understand what is being implied, if two people of the same sex cohabitate they are automatically homosexual?
The article states "Since then, homosexual behavior has been documented in many hundreds of species, .....exhibiting the same type of apparently non-sexual, long-term, same-sex pairing the Hunts found in the gulls."
Apparently I'm gay and didn't know it. I have never had sexual relations with a guy but I did live with one for 20 years. He's going to be upset to find out that all those years we thought we were sexually active heterosexual bachelors we were actually in a homosexual relationship.
Damn, I was born gay and didn't even know it. I'm ordering some rainbow flags right now.
No.

I don't know why this is news to you, but oh well.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:38 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
As the thread continues, for the record:
focusing on the scientific aspect of the topic, since this is the science forum, is ok
focusing on getting outraged by what someone said or implied, or what you feel is wrong or whatever - not ok.
Carry on.
Yac.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:09 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I ran across this article and it made me laugh. I wanted to post it here under Science because biology is science.

https://qz.com/1023638/the-gulls-are...conservatives/

I have always thought that sexual orientation is determined by birth. Some people just won't accept facts.

How about you?
THeres nothing to indicate lesbian anything in that article.

Shortage of males is dealt with by females cooperating to protect their collective clutch.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:13 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmogrifier View Post
Its easier to make political hay , from either bias, when the science is sloppy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.