Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 04:28 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,178,003 times

Advertisements

I go to a nearby college library a lot, as a GUEST, the library offers free Guest WiFi.

Is it safe to check/send gmail on public open WiFi network?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 05:02 PM

61,725 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I might be wrong, but think your HTTPS connections and data are safe as long as you trust the certificates that come with your computer. Remember that you not always browse directly to the HTTPS site, but often start off at the HTTP site and redirect from there. Invalid certificates is a problem on all types of connection - not just a public WI-FI hotspots. But generally the connection is quite secure as far is secure connections(ssl) is concerned, and there are no redirection from HTTPS to HTTP.(https websites cant be decoded by another person). So it is safe. Most of websites these days follow https protocol.
Every website having a https suffix is safe to browse even on public wifi. In your case gmail too follows https protocol.

Last edited by elnina; 12-04-2017 at 05:18 PM..

Old 12-04-2017, 05:18 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
If there is green lock it is secure connection to authenticated domain and it is very difficult to spoof that. I won't say impossible because nothing is impossible but the chances are pretty slim.

Quote:
Invalid certificates is a problem on all types of connection
SSL certificates are issued by an "authority", your browser will check with the authority to insure it's valid. If the certificate has been revoked, "self signed" or otherwise invalid you'll get a warning for that from the browser. The connection is still secure but the domain has not been authenticated, e.g. it could be spoofed especially over public wifi.

You would make an exception for this under some rare conditions. For example if you have website you may be connecting directly to the IP for the control panel or whatever and you cannot get a valid cert for an IP. You'll get warning for invalid certificate even if the certificate works perfectly fine under https://example.com

Old 12-04-2017, 07:43 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Personally for anything open I’d use a VPN (I use NordVPN).

Old 12-06-2017, 05:14 AM

1 posts, read 745 times
yeah, that's right, u cant relly on public wifi spots, If you work a lot in coffee shops etc. I would recommend using vpn services. Don't use the free ones because it is the same as not having one and even worse, they sell your data because otherwise how they can support themselves. I am using nordvpn because it is highly rated and has many reviews on top sites as vpnmentor.com or pcmag.com I bought it on Cyber Monday with a special coupon "get" so it was 70% off for two years deal. So it is a bargain, for such a premium services, the only minor issue I had it was choosing the right server for good speed. You can try the coupon maybe it still works.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:53 AM

The reason I like NordVPN is that they are based in Panama, don’t log anything and due to that country’s privacy laws aren’t required to either.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:56 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Are you limited on number of devices with a VPN? How much does it slow down your internet?

Old 12-06-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Are you limited on number of devices with a VPN? How much does it slow down your internet?
Depends on the plan as far as number of devices. Or, you can often put it on your router and then manage all your traffic.

It does slow down your connnection, but again a lot depends on the provider, its proximity to you, and the server load. Free VPNs tend to be very slow.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:25 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
don’t log anything
That is certainly possible but what they are telling you may not be true. One thing that is very important to be aware of is if you are communicating over HTTPS to their server that traffic is being decrypted by them thus anything you are submitting such as bank login details can be read by them. A VPN might be useful for hiding your activities but I personally would not touch it for things like banking unless it was set up on my own server.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:31 AM

I’m talking about VPN logging.

“We do not log any of your activity that you do online. The only information we keep about our users is e-mail address (used for connecting to VPN, marketing and troubleshooting purposes) and the billing information (used for a refunding procedures).”

“No-logs policy of the NordVPN.com security software

From the moment a NordVPN.com user turns on the NordVPN.com software, their Internet data becomes encrypted. Any online traffic coming from user’s device is no longer visible to ISP, third-party snooper or cyber criminals. Further, we have a strict no-logs policy when it comes to seeing user activity online: being based in Panama, which does not require data storage or reporting, we are empowered to deny any third party requests. Period.”

Their whole business model is based upon no logging, so if they started they can kiss their company goodbye. Plus it’s easier for them to forgo logging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology