Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 08:37 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,648 times

Advertisements

Now that I finally have my atoms inside my body cells - long story to be ignored here - I can ask my question and sound halfway intelligent. When our cells send messages to each other and shift themselves to their desired locations (poetic language from Guy Murchie), do they use the electricity from activity between electrons and protons of the atomic nucleus to aid in their work?

Thank you. hazelm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 09:13 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Most cellular signals are chemical in nature.

Here are a few good links to help you better understand cell signaling.

Introduction to cell signaling

Study guide - Cellular communication

Old 01-12-2018, 09:58 AM

Thank you, Matadora. I shall attend to them right now. I was amazed to find on the internet this morning how many of us had never made the connection between atoms and molecules/cells. As if "never the twain shall me.

Have a good day.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:27 AM

Very interesting. Just one question, please. When it speaks of neurons and neurotransmitters, I think "brain". These would be messages going from the brain to the rest of the body? Am I right? Or are these also elsewhere in the body?

Also, are these particular signals electric? Electric impulses were mention in connection with them.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:21 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Very interesting. Just one question, please. When it speaks of neurons and neurotransmitters, I think "brain". These would be messages going from the brain to the rest of the body? Am I right? Or are these also elsewhere in the body?

Also, are these particular signals electric? Electric impulses were mention in connection with them.
Hi Hazel. Neurons are nerve cells and are components of the brain, the spinal cord and all the nerves in the body. The entire nervous system is composed of neurons which conduct electrical signals and allow your muscles to respond to commands from the brain, and allow you to feel sensation.

You might find this article on the nervous system by Khanacademy helpful.

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/...e-and-function

Old 01-12-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Very interesting. Just one question, please. When it speaks of neurons and neurotransmitters, I think "brain".
Hi Hazel,

I will give a quick answer and will offer more later...I'm pressed for time.

All creatures and even plants have sensory receptors...once these receptors are stimulated by any stimulus, our nervous system sends a signal to our brain or spinal cord, then our nervous system sends this signal to target organs or innervates muscles to contract.
Quote:
These would be messages going from the brain to the rest of the body? Am I right? Or are these also elsewhere in the body?
Our nervous systems are composed of the brain, spinal cord, sensory organs, and all of the nerves that connect these organs with the rest of the body. Together, this system is responsible for the control of the body and communication among its parts.

Quote:
These signals are electrochemical.

Last edited by Matadora; 01-12-2018 at 06:16 PM..

Old 01-13-2018, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Hi Hazel. Neurons are nerve cells and are components of the brain, the spinal cord and all the nerves in the body. The entire nervous system is composed of neurons which conduct electrical signals and allow your muscles to respond to commands from the brain, and allow you to feel sensation.

You might find this article on the nervous system by Khanacademy helpful.

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/...e-and-function
Thank you, Mike. You are right. I read further last night and found that. So, although the cell messages are chemical, are the nerve stimulants starting them on their process? What I mean is this:

Guy Murchie says, about the nerve impulse: "Like lightning, the impulse in effect generates itself forming a transient wave of electrical excitation that advances the length of a nerve fiber .... that contains a low-resistance core of potassium ions ..... surrounded by sodium ions....The insulating membrane allows current to leak between the negatively-charged potassium ions (within) and the positively-charged sodium ions (without) ..... a moving wave that conveys its messages."

What I keep thinking is that something has to stimulant chemicals to start moving along. Maybe I am wrong. I shall read the Khan Academy article in a bit.

Thanks again.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Hi Hazel,

I will give a quick answer and will offer more later...I'm pressed for time.

All creatures and even plants have sensory receptors...once these receptors are stimulated by any stimulus, our nervous system sends a signal to our brain or spinal cord, then our nervous system sends this signal to target organs or innervates muscles to contract.
Our nervous systems are composed of the brain, spinal cord, sensory organs, and all of the nerves that connect these organs with the rest of the body. Together, this system is responsible for the control of the body and communication among its parts.

These signals are electrochemical.
Thank you for your time, Matadora. I will read Khan. Then I'll get back to the book tonight. The author does say he has more on the topic later in the book. I know the picture I am trying to form here. It just takes time and confirmation that I am seeing what I think I am seeing.

Confusing? :-) hazelm

Old 01-13-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your time, Matadora. I will read Khan. Then I'll get back to the book tonight. The author does say he has more on the topic later in the book.
My pleasure and sounds like you have a good plan. Biology is a very interesting subject, it's fascinating to learn about living systems and how they operate.
Quote:
I know the picture I am trying to form here. It just takes time and confirmation that I am seeing what I think I am seeing.
I a little confused here...what do you mean by the picture you are trying form?

Old 01-13-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
My pleasure and sounds like you have a good plan. Biology is a very interesting subject, it's fascinating to learn about living systems and how they operate.
I a little confused here...what do you mean by the picture you are trying form?

I started out with a description of a cell. The author said the nucleus contains DNA. That was all. Suddenly I was wondering what happened to atoms and their nuclei containing neutrons, protons and electrons. Why was he only giving the cell's nucleus DNA and nothing else?

OK. I got that sorted out fine. The atoms are now inside the molecules where I knew they should be. Then, thinking about the molecules and cells with their messages, I wondered if the progress of messages was electrical. No, they are chemical. So, now I am asking does the electric stimulus talked about by Murchie (see my quote) stimulate the chemicals to be on their way with messages. I notice that neurotransmitters are chemicals. And that I did not know. So, that seems to make sense. But I may be wrong. I am asking myself "do the chemicals stimulate themselves to carry messages? Or are they stimulated by those electrical impulses?

In other words, I am trying to put together a picture that pulls what goes on in neurons and other cells. I am missing something. I know I am. I am probably also putting something in the wrong place. I'll think on it again tonight. If I am not making sense yet, just let it rest. I need to read more and do some more thinking.

One thing I know - and a friend agrees with me - people specialize down to the point that they are writing out one small item and never link it to anything to widen the picture for better understanding. Ex: Murchie's nucleus with DNA.

Thank you again. You have told me some things I didn't know and jogged my memory about some things I knew but had long since lost them in my mental files.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology