Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2023, 02:52 PM

61,663 posts, read 87,041,175 times

Advertisements

Another human interference with nature.

Besides the greenhouse gasses emissions that cause glaciers to melt, other human activity is responsible for changes in Earth’s hydrosphere.
Humans pumping groundwater has a substantial impact on the tilt of Earth’s rotation.
Understanding this relatively recent data may provide a better understanding of how to help stave off sea-level rise.
Among climate-related causes, the redistribution of groundwater actually has the largest impact on the drift of the rotational pole.
With the Earth moving on a rotational pole, the distribution of water on the planet impacts distribution of mass.

In the 1990s, the Earth’s axis underwent a major shift. It is normal for the Earth’s axis to move by a few centimeters each year. But, in the 1990s, the direction of polar drift shifted suddenly and the rate of the drift accelerated.
Scientist believe that that the main driver of the change in direction of the axial shift was glacier melt caused by global warming.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/sci...id-earth-tilt/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2023, 03:27 PM

7,924 posts, read 9,148,359 times
Reading the article, my first cynical response was Oh great, now the govt will prevent use from using water lol.

Second thought (although it is probably too anthropomorphic and not scientific) was could the increase in intensity of storms and rainfall be the earth trying to correct this by refilling its aquafers to try to maintain a homeostasis?

It does give you pause to think that perhaps we are jumping too fast to assume that all of our climate change issues is due to byproduct gasses of burning fossil fuels.

Now I will let someone with more scientific knowledge of geology chime in lol.

Old 07-16-2023, 03:37 PM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 7 days ago)

792 posts, read 373,734 times
Humans are nature. I love the subject matter but I have lived on well water my entire life and the vast majority goes back to where it comes from. It doesn't run to the ocean which is an assumption made in the claim - maybe in some heavy industrial and agricultural uses but not on well systems which a lot of people have. Water for irrigation is used by the food which is mostly water and consumed by people which are mostly water - maybe the fat people are creating the excess spin.

My well is 25ft, my septic is 4ft in very sandy soil and I have little doubt I am drinking my own toilet and bath water at this point. Groundwater extraction for purposes of irrigation serves to feed humanity - not sure how that is interference unless you want us all to die which will happen regardless. We die trying or we just die - science should help us manage our environment - that is the only way to save humanity but if you view humans as interference in the natural order then we are screwed regardless IMO but I believe science can overcome.

I read the linked scientific study and then it links to links to links using those as basis for its conclusion and reference so I have to call BS on it simply because nobody has time but grad students to sift through that and I do not trust grad students.

Old 07-16-2023, 03:47 PM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 7 days ago)

792 posts, read 373,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Reading the article, my first cynical response was Oh great, now the govt will prevent use from using water lol.

Second thought (although it is probably too anthropomorphic and not scientific) was could the increase in intensity of storms and rainfall be the earth trying to correct this by refilling its aquafers to try to maintain a homeostasis?

It does give you pause to think that perhaps we are jumping too fast to assume that all of our climate change issues is due to byproduct gasses of burning fossil fuels.

Now I will let someone with more scientific knowledge of geology chime in lol.
Problem is there aren't any - that is people with more scientific knowledge - Thank God for AI!

We are lawyers more than scientists, we can find anything to prove a point and make our case. A thesis relating ground water extraction to the tilt of the Earth is not impressive to me because I know the people that come to these conclusions and the circumstances in which they come to these conclusions.

If we can eliminate bias, even if it is debatable, the results should be monumental in terms of projections that can be proven because they happen. Captain Hindsight is worthless conjecture at this point, Captain Foresight is AI.

Old 07-16-2023, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,411 times
Thumbs down  

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina

Besides the greenhouse gasses emissions that cause glaciers to melt, other human activity is responsible for changes in Earth’s hydrosphere.
Humans pumping groundwater has a substantial impact on the tilt of Earth’s rotation.
Yup they steal the oil which is like BLOOD... The earth is starting to fail and its quite sad........

Himan Beings are the worst/meanest animal on this planet!!

Old 07-16-2023, 07:57 PM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times
The only story here is they figured out how to measure it. The minuscule tilt doesn't affect anything at all. No need to get excited or to let hundreds of millions of people starve because crops aren't irrigated.

Old 07-16-2023, 10:21 PM

11,430 posts, read 5,973,383 times
It is pure speculation that groundwater extraction changes the earth's tilt. It is nothing but a wild theory and completely unproven. At best, it is a guess. At worst, it is more propaganda for "man is hurting the earth" hysteria.

Meanwhile, the earth experienced a dramatic tilt 84 million years ago. Who thinks it is because dinosaurs started pumping out ground water? LOL

Earth's Axis Tilted Dangerously 84 Million Years Ago, May Happen Again Says Study

The last time a tilt of 12 degrees was recorded was about 84 million years ago when dinosaurs ruled the Earth, scientists claim.

With these findings, it is no longer true that the Earth's spin axis has remained stable over the last 100 million years. The research adds that Earth has been doing this back and forth dance since the Late Cretaceous period, cancelling out the possibility of a stable axis.

Did you know that Earth experiences a tilt every few million years? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

https://www.indiatimes.com/technolog...go-552180.html

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 07-16-2023 at 10:29 PM..

Old 07-17-2023, 08:56 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Crazy U.S. Congressman Hank Johnson once expressed a fear that the island of Guam would "tip over" from having too many U.S. servicemen stationed there. But if pumping too much water out of the ground and up to the surface can cause the earth to wobble, maybe he wasn't so crazy.

Old 07-17-2023, 09:41 AM

78,348 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

Understanding this relatively recent data may provide a better understanding of how to help stave off sea-level rise.
Among climate-related causes, the redistribution of groundwater actually has the largest impact on the drift of the rotational pole.
With the Earth moving on a rotational pole, the distribution of water on the planet impacts distribution of mass.

In the 1990s, the Earth’s axis underwent a major shift. It is normal for the Earth’s axis to move by a few centimeters each year. But, in the 1990s, the direction of polar drift shifted suddenly and the rate of the drift accelerated.
Scientist believe that that the main driver of the change in direction of the axial shift was glacier melt caused by global warming.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/sci...id-earth-tilt/
I believe it will be some time before this theory is confirmed (or replaced) but it's good that they are tracking it.

The earth is a dynamic place, all it will take is a year like 536AD to rapidly alter our warming trend and population levels...or major Carrington event....or Yellowstone...Eltanin impact etc.

Old 07-17-2023, 10:51 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Well the earth is a more or less solid surface layer floating on a semi fluid layer surrounding a couple more layers of fluid and an iron core (or more). All spinning and interacting with each other. Transfer of angular momentum between those various layers will do far more to the spin axis than moving ground water about the surface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology