Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

National Academy of Sciences study on protein, Scripps Research Institute protein synthesis study, protein predictive capabilities, increased drug treatment options

Old 12-23-2008, 08:53 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times

Advertisements

In this ongoing quest, a group of Scripps Research Institute scientists, along with colleagues from the University of California, San Diego, (UCSD) have borrowed from physics to deliver one of those research rarities—an unmitigated success. The group has devised a computational method that, with remarkable accuracy, predicts how bacterial proteins fold and interact.

In the short term, this new capability, described in this week's Early Edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, should allow development of new antibiotics that target and block newly identified protein interactions vital to the survival of pathogenic bacteria. In the longer term, as the collective body of genomics data for humans and other animals grows, some version of the new technique may allow similar protein predictive capabilities for higher organisms, spawning a wealth of new and highly effective drug discovery options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 08:12 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,586,607 times
Proteins sure are an immensely fascinating subject. Truly one of nature's marvels as tiny, molecular machines. But I thought we already knew how proteins fold: they fold and vibrate into random configurations thousands of times per millisecond until they find their most stable shape, guided mostly by two things: entropy and whether their outlying molecules are attracted or repelled by water. They simply find their most "comfortable" shape.

On a related note, I found this fascinating electron microscope pic of the protein helicase, the protein responsible for unwinding DNA to be copied into RNA:

Simply awesome!

Old 01-04-2009, 10:24 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Proteins sure are an immensely fascinating subject. Truly one of nature's marvels as tiny, molecular machines. But I thought we already knew how proteins fold: they fold and vibrate into random configurations thousands of times per millisecond until they find their most stable shape, guided mostly by two things: entropy and whether their outlying molecules are attracted or repelled by water. They simply find their most "comfortable" shape.

On a related note, I found this fascinating electron microscope pic of the protein helicase, the protein responsible for unwinding DNA to be copied into RNA:
!
I thought that transcriptase was responsible for the folding?

Old 01-06-2009, 02:25 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,177 times
Quote:

We know the basic rules for how proteins fold. Its a layerd process from the primary structure (amino acid sequence) to secondary (sprials and sheets) tothe tertiary structure (3D shape). We also understand the process you described is what forms these and how it works for small sections.

The missing piece has been taking a long string of amino acids and predicting what the final 3-dimensional protein will look like. Its complicated in that other proteins, enzymes, or molecules sometimes help "nudge" the protein into a final state that it would not assume without their interactions during the process.

There has been a lot of work the last few years using super computers and networks of volunteers (folding@home and others) to try and come up with a a precise computer model. It would be a huge benefit, to be able to sequence a protein and know what the final shape will look like. Unfortunately the only way to know for sure is still to grow crystals and analyze the shape... which can be very difficult for some proteins.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I thought that transcriptase was responsible for the folding?

Transcriptase is an enzyme that catalyzes the formation of RNA from DNA during transcription.

Helicase are members of a family of enzymes that catalyze the unwinding and seperation of DNA (or RNA) strands during replication as xavierob82 said. They also unwind DNA during transcription, recombination and repair. I remember there are quite a few different familes of helicases depending on the process for which the DNA needs to be unwound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology