Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 08:38 PM

22 posts, read 53,613 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into getting a gps for my car. Which ones are good/bad and why? I know nothing about these types of things. Suggestions for ones under $200?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 09:41 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,842,881 times
I got a Tom-Tom at Circuit City for $100 and it works great!

Old 05-31-2009, 10:17 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,842,881 times
Sad though, may be useless next year if military doesn't upgrade their sat.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:59 PM

176 posts, read 638,959 times
I've been in the market for a stand a long GPS for a while now. Constantly reading Engadget and Amazon reviews, and adding to my wish list

I'm not new to GPS's, as I've had 2 of them in car, built into the stereo system. I've had Alpine and Pioneer, with the former unit stolen, twice.

You can see by that statement that the Alpine was worth re-purchasing for me (I loved that thing). The Pioneer technology, I am not too happy with, to cut a long story short. Suffice to say, that these GPS Audio combos are usually >$1000, so I am opting for a stand alone.

I've come to the belief, that Garmin is the originator, and good at what they do, kind of GPS company. I've seen them in action in NY by hired cars, and even the small units impress. At the same time, I'm also into Navigon, a Europe based company, that offers Free Traffic Updates for life. Even though recently they discontinued their US line, the offering is special - check it out! And they are still in bright business in the UK and promise to honour their Traffic Updates for life.

Here are the two on my Amazon wish list, that I've narrowed it down to:
Amazon.com: Navigon 2000S 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator: Electronics
The above, I had my attention shift to after another GPS thread by a CD member prompted me to it.

This one, is the mother of all that I initially liked:
Amazon.com: Navigon 8100T 4.8-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Free Traffic Alerts: Electronics

Happy GPS-ing!

Old 06-06-2009, 10:29 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Hardcore Garmin fan here. I wouldn't buy anything else. I currently own three Garmin units, one of which is a replacement for one that was stolen - DO NOT LEAVE YOUR GPS IN THE CAR! It's as attractive to thieves as if you left two or three hundred dollar bills sitting on the dashboard.

For use exclusively in the car for navigation, the Nuvi series is good. We have the 260 model, which can be found for around $150 or $160 or so.

If you want routing, but also want something that can be used on the trail, I like the GPSMAP series. It was a GPSMAP 60c that was stolen. I had that unit for about 4 years or so, and used it extensively. It doesn't have a touch screen, so data entry is a bit cumbersome if you're not doing it on the PC, but it's a rugged unit that gets great reception.

For general trail use and geocaching, the eTrex series is pretty good. My first GPS was a eTrex Legend - I still have it, and the kids use it when we go geocaching.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Hardcore Garmin fan here. I wouldn't buy anything else.
Garmin is the only US-based company in the GPS business, which is significant if you're someone who believes in buying domestic products before foreign ones.

I have a Navigon 2100 GPS that I like very well. Navigon has decided to stop selling its products in the US, so you may be able to pick up some deals on them as stores close out the remaining inventory. Navigon will continue to support them, so you won't have to worry about being abandoned if you want to update your maps in a year or so.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:15 AM

Bowie:

I am about to make a purchase on a Navigon for a gift, my family decided to get me.

I am between the 2000S and 8100T as mentioned above.

I respect your 2100S decision, as I heard it was an improvement on one amazon review, while on another, the guy returned it for the 2000S.

What do you reccomend?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:50 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionsdale View Post
Bowie:

I am about to make a purchase on a Navigon for a gift, my family decided to get me.

I am between the 2000S and 8100T as mentioned above.

I respect your 2100S decision, as I heard it was an improvement on one amazon review, while on another, the guy returned it for the 2000S.

What do you reccomend?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
I picked mine purely based on price. The 2100 meets my needs and at the time, it was the first touch-screen model I had ever seen that was priced under $100. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any Navigon GPS that meets your needs.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:43 AM

ooh geez!!
(just thought I'd share with you)

I just put an 8100t in my shopping Cart, on Amazon, a few days ago..
at $265.

I just checked today, it has gone up to $309 :O

Well, suffice it to say, I went with the refurbished at 233.58, which i would have never considered before.

Hope it works!

Old 06-10-2009, 05:23 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,219,094 times
I just purchased the Garmin Navi 760 from Amazon. I hope I like it. Also bought the friction mount. Out the door for both $231.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics