Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 12,816 times

Advertisements

We currently live in New Jersey and may be moving at the end of October. My boyfriend is getting a job at the Ft. Lewis Base, and I will probably be transfering to Bellevue.

I need to know a good place to live in between. I don't want to live around trashy people!! Low crime rate and no ghettos!!
HELP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 10:56 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,700,878 times
Your biggest determining factor will be your budget. How much are you willing to spend on housing, whether renting or buying. Monthly?

Common sense will tell you - the nicest, low crime areas, are going to be the most expensive

Old 09-23-2008, 11:18 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
There are a few places that come to mind between Ft. Lewis and Bellevue that are pretty nice, but some of them are not known for having good school districts, which might be of no concern to you...But here's a small sampling:

Steilacoom: Small town, closer to Fort Lewis, historic, pretty, overlooking Puget Sound.
Renton: ( Kennydale neighborhood or East Renton Highlands): Closer to Bellevue, near Lake Washington
Maple Valley: In between, but a bit closer to Bellevue, mostly rural but growing.
Normandy Park: In between, also near Puget Sound, considered more desirable than it's neighbor Burien...
What you may hear is an entire dismissal of a place without people taking into account that there are various neighborhoods within a place, as if people were saying " New Jersey stinks. It's a cesspool that's very dangerous."
Sure, Linden stinks, and Camden's dangerous, but you can't say that about Upper Montclair or Alpine or the shore area where Springsteen and Bon Jovi live.
Yeah, there are some crime ridden areas in Western Washington, but almost all of them are much nicer than places like Camden...So, when someone tells you things like " Avoid Renton, avoid Kent, avoid Burien", etc, take it with a grain of salt. Renton has scuzzy areas and also has mansions.

Last edited by Ira500; 09-23-2008 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-23-2008, 11:22 AM

Default How is puyallup?

We have no kids(thank god!) And we woould like to spend between $1000-$1200 for a house rental. I would prefer a rural area

Old 09-23-2008, 11:59 AM

I'm not a huge Puyallup fan, but some people enjoy living there. They built a whole lot of new houses there over the last few years, without doing much to improve the roads, so traffic can be unbearable...On the plus side, they built a lot of new houses that aren't selling, so there should be a lot of them available for rent....
As far as places to avoid...stay away from Tillicum and those areas of Lakewood closest to the base....and add Des Moines to the list of places to consider. It's a pretty town that's small and has a single screen movie theatre in an old fashioned downtown.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:07 PM

thanks Ira, for the good info,
what is your opinion of gig harbor?

Old 09-23-2008, 12:57 PM

Gig Harbor is fabulous.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:18 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,102,730 times
I was originally from New York City, and I might understand some of your references. Western Washington doesn't have "trashy people" or "ghettoes". It's a different world here... So don't worry.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,110 times
Hi my wife works in Bellevue but we live in Lakeridge Washington on Lake washington . The avarge home sales are 360,000 to 3,000,00 plus nice views of seattle skyline,lake washington, mercer island,RICH, NO GETTOS, african american RICH NOT POOR, bentlys,aston martins,rolls royce, porsche,BMW,mercades benz .... low crime. kind people, West Hill area , Lakeridge E School , lakeridge park, sucuridey, white people , very divers, spendy.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:21 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Well, we do have trashy people here, but not really "ghettoes" (though there are many people like to think that Seattle/Western Washington even has some).

If you're going to be working in Bellevue and he's in Ft. Lewis, do expect lot of driving in traffic.

Areas that have some rural: Covington, MV, Fife, Edgewood, Algona, Black Diamond, Federal Way (on the Eastern side of i5; "Lakeland" areas). In between Tacoma/Bellevue: Tukwila, Seatac ( <----not really that great areas though) Des Moines, Kent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area