Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 07:38 PM

19 posts, read 36,879 times

Advertisements

I would really prefer to live in Seattle proper as opposed to one of the suburbs. I have found a cool place (online) in Columbia City. I have 2 kids. For those in the know, what can I expect from the neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 08:23 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Columbia City is a fun neighborhood, and it's not too far from beautiful Seward Park and Lake Washington and the Genessee Park off leash dog park...Columbia City has a movie theatre and a great bakery and a cool farmer's market.It's a fun neighborhood to walk around in. There are a couple of very good pizza places close by.
The bad? The neighborhoods north, south, and east of Columbia City aren't very good,so Columbia City is like this hip little island surrounded by more marginal areas.
For the most part, the schools in the area aren't considered good, but I think the well respected Orca program is near there, and it's a public school which has students from all over the city.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Columbia City is a fun neighborhood, and it's not too far from beautiful Seward Park and Lake Washington and the Genessee Park off leash dog park...Columbia City has a movie theatre and a great bakery and a cool farmer's market.It's a fun neighborhood to walk around in. There are a couple of very good pizza places close by.
The bad? The neighborhoods north, south, and east of Columbia City aren't very good,so Columbia City is like this hip little island surrounded by more marginal areas.
For the most part, the schools in the area aren't considered good, but I think the well respected Orca program is near there, and it's a public school which has students from all over the city.
Thanks. Sounds like a smaller version of Hyde Park in Chicago 15 years ago. Is light rail helping the area?

Old 10-29-2009, 09:31 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
The Columbia City Light rail station is actually not in Columbia City, but about 5 blocks or so east, but no question, light rail will have a strong effect on the neighborhoods it serves. A lot of the businesses along Martin Luther King suffered during the construction, but now are seeing an increase in business from people exploring the route.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:40 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,854,342 times
One of the best breakfast places in the city is in Columbia City (Geraldine's Counter). I love the immediate area, but having 2 kids myself, I wouldn't move there, because the schools are not great, and the area you drive through to get to Columbia City from I-90 seems really seedy.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:50 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,862 times
I've driven through the area from I-90 to Columbia City every day for the last 25 years and never, ever felt unsafe or encountered any kind of trouble at all. It may be seedy by suburbia standards, but it's my kind of seedy.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:01 PM

318 posts, read 950,836 times
Columbia City has gone through some dramatic changes. 15 years ago, I'd tell you not to move there, but now its a very trendy neighborhood that has been revitalized. Close access to light rail, relatively safe for an inner-city neighborhood in South Seattle, and it has a lot of history. I've actually written about Columbia City. There was a time when it was just really bad. But now, it's one of the most economically and ethnically diverse neighborhoods in the city.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:50 PM

66 posts, read 162,089 times
Mount Baker and Becon Hill nearby are nice, but do have questionable places and folk out and about sometimes. I think you get that in any area, though, and "questionable" is very subjective. You could look up crime statistics in the area but they are statistics, not certainties.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:54 PM

I had dinner at Verve's wine bar tonight. If there is a cooler place in Seattle, I would like to see it.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:38 AM

24 posts, read 102,338 times
there are tons of cool neighborhoods...top of queen anne, parts of capitol hill, areas of west seattle, madison park, ect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area