Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 04:21 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,464,224 times

Advertisements

The only next best hot dog is "hebrew national" which you can purchase at most grocery stores but still not a sabrett.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 05:43 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
The only next best hot dog is "hebrew national" which you can purchase at most grocery stores but still not a sabrett.
sorry, Id rather have a Ball Park frank! Are they there? What about Nathans?

Old 11-04-2007, 07:13 PM

7 posts, read 20,979 times
I justed moved from NYC..bit of an andjustment. Having a difficult time finding job in career counseling.. Can anyone help. Im new to this chat.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:37 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
I was born in Newark and most of my family lives in Englewood and Hackensack. The one problem I always had with northern New Jerseyans is they think they live in the greatest area on earth even though most of my realitives never traveled much. Of course I was going to regret moving 'up there' (to Seattle)and 'you'll be back'. Well I'm still here and even if I ever decide to leave Seattle I will NEVER return to northern New Jersey...EVER. I love Seattle. Its such a breath of fresh air compared to northern Jersey. Bugs, summer heat and humdity, the segregation, snow, ice, aluminum siding. No thanks.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:40 PM

7 posts, read 20,979 times
I agree. Nothing beats NYC chinese take-out and a slice after hanging out all night..NYC has it all.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:37 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,159,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycer View Post
I justed moved from NYC..bit of an andjustment. Having a difficult time finding job in career counseling.. Can anyone help. Im new to this chat.
I hope you won't take offense, but that's kind of a funny statement.

The pizza sucks in Seattle, they have that "less is more" mentality where you get a skinny crust with a tiny bit of bland sauce and a tiny bit of cheese that doesn't seem to be a nice stretchy mozzarella. Avoid Pagliaccis or whatever it's called.

I'd say coffee shops are the best thing, and the microbreweries, there's a lot more than Starbucks. For food, if you can afford it there are nice Northwest cuisine places mostly specializing in fishy and shellfishy things in weird combinations with other foods ..... there are also a lot of ethnic restaurants like Ethiopian and Moroccan or Vietnamese. But that's true of NYC also. It's a smaller city, so expect a little less.

People are sweeter and nicer than in NYC, so tone down the attitude, it pisses off Seattleites even if they don't show it.

There's plenty of humidity during the rainy season, but it's fairly dry during those 3 months of perfect summer. Be aware that climate changes have hit Seattle, things are less predictable now.

Mosquitoes and flies aren't too bad, a little in one or two of the parks.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:23 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I was born in Newark and most of my family lives in Englewood and Hackensack. The one problem I always had with northern New Jerseyans is they think they live in the greatest area on earth even though most of my realitives never traveled much. Of course I was going to regret moving 'up there' (to Seattle)and 'you'll be back'. Well I'm still here and even if I ever decide to leave Seattle I will NEVER return to northern New Jersey...EVER. I love Seattle. Its such a breath of fresh air compared to northern Jersey. Bugs, summer heat and humdity, the segregation, snow, ice, aluminum siding. No thanks.
Well, my husband and I live in Northern New Jersey near Hackensack and we're with you on all of your comments. We, on the other hand, have never thought this was the greatest place on earth and are planning a move to a condo in Seattle in March.

We will be so happy to get rid of the oppressive heat in the summer, hotter and longer each year. The times in which we were snowed in. The constant lawn mowing and snow shoveling. The shed that was necessary to store all the equipment, seeds, fertilizer. All the tools for repairs to our dumb house.

Yes, and the entrenched, unshakable prejudices of some of the inhabitants. Fortunately, most of this comes from the older folks. They really get nasty on that New Jersey forum, don't they? It sometimes seems as though they are nice to your face, but on the forums where nobody knows their names, the other half surfaces.

PWright, I have read so many comments about the typical Seattle personality being akin to members of high school cliques, that it's beginning to seem like an issue. I have always been involved in one activity or another and, seeing people on this regular basis, naturally made friends. Did you find Seattlites to have a peculiar attitude when you first arrived? I don't like being 'buddies' with someone until I have been with them for a bit and can observe what I'm dealing with, but I think that's a normal, human reaction.

I can understand that the weather may make people more introspective, bringing out the best in creative people (look at all those authors from the area, and your positively inspired photography!), but maybe others, when they look inside, don't like what they see there and so get peculiar personality traits for some reason?

Do you think there is a particular 'Seattle' personality that makes people hard to relate to?

Old 11-06-2007, 10:26 AM

70 posts, read 295,783 times
When I was up in Seattle for a Yankees/Mariners game, I had a dog at the park and wasn't impressed with it. I guess as a NY, I cherish sabretts, Nathans and Grey's Pappya's to death. I also know when I move out there, I will be missing White Castles as well.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,235 times
Unhappy Moved from NY...disenchanted

I moved here from NYC in June and in all honesty, it's been a really difficult adjustment. I live in Seattle and find things difficult in general: public transportation, lack of good nightlife, etc. It might not be everyone's experience, but it's definitely been mine. I'm giving it a year and then will most likely move back to NYC. And it's too bad--I really wanted to love it here!

Old 11-07-2007, 05:21 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetbeauregarde View Post
I moved here from NYC in June and in all honesty, it's been a really difficult adjustment. I live in Seattle and find things difficult in general: public transportation, lack of good nightlife, etc. It might not be everyone's experience, but it's definitely been mine. I'm giving it a year and then will most likely move back to NYC. And it's too bad--I really wanted to love it here!
Its pretty hard to compare "anyplace" to NYC! Well, at least Manhattan. Seattle is a totally different beast, were you expecting something like NYC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area