Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2008, 04:01 PM

3 posts, read 8,549 times

Advertisements

I am planning to relocate to the Seattle area from Tucson when my lease is up here in May.
I have decided its time to find better opportunities in my field, which is software dev/it. Since graduating from colloege a couple years ago, I have just done part time telecommuting, but theres not much going on in Tucson other than boring/not so desirable jobs in this field so its time to move up to to the big city. My other choices are Phoenix and Austin. I almost took a job

in Phoenix last year, but after a couple trips up there to check things out,
I decided it wasn't my cup of tea. Austin might be ok, but I think Seattle is probably better for a guy in my situation.

First question: I've been in Tucson 12 years now, for anybody who has made the transition from a hot climate to a cool damp one, how long did it take to adjust ? I hardly have any winter clothing right now.

mod cut: 2 sentences removed

I would like to find a place where I would fit in well with the rest of the people there. I'm in my 40's and single, so I thinking I should move to the happening
part of Seattle, or just somewhere where it's easier to meet people.
Maybe somewhere close to some good espresso shops ... that should be easy enough. I'm thinking that since I'm going up there sight unseen, without a job, that in order to live in a good part of town I should try to rent a room in a house with other people, since apartments tend to be very expensive there
unless you're out in the boonies or in Tacoma, places that I would probably be better off not going to.
I was kind of thinking centralish Seattle since the commute would be easier if
I do get a job.
Any advice on what neighborhoods I should look for, or which to avoid ?
Thanks.

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-23-2008 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: I'll DM you shortly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 05:34 PM

362 posts, read 590,039 times
capital hill in seattle has a lot of street crime and hate crime recently

seattle is all weird in a way

try fremont where adobe is located

Old 02-23-2008, 08:59 PM

28 posts, read 71,462 times
Welcome to Seattle forum.
I have spent two years in Tucson and enjoyed the 300+ sunny days per year there.

I would tell you, you might not get familiar to the weather for whole life. That is because the weather pattern is totally different from it is in Tucson. The cold weather is O.K. to me, the real troublesome is the drizzling rain. I used to do lots of outdoor activities. But after moving to Seattle, I become a couch potato during the winter. Every time I want to go out, it is dark and raining outside..

I would suggest you to move to San Jose. The weather pattern and the street scene in SJ and Tucson are alike. But you would be shocked by the cost of living there.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:55 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,250,592 times
Seattle has a totally different vibe from Tucson in a good way imo. I for one get out year around. Me coming from the east coast I find Seattle weather to be a breeze. You might feel differently. I've been to Tucson a number of times and honestly I would take Seattle anyday. I know you're probably use to the heat but I just couldn't get with it. I also remember the vibe of no one in the streets because of the heat, many cars with windows up and a/c on, a sort of suburban strip mall feel. I know Tucson is not all that but it was totally different from Seattle. There city populations are almost the same yet Tucson is twice the size of Seattle in land area but Seattle's density is 2 1/2 times that of Tucson so you will have a compact, more urban feel in Seattle. With that you will find interesting, pedestrian and bike friendly neighborhoods and streets, with coffee houses, bookstores and all kinds of restaurants. Also it is almost surrounded by water which you will not find in Tucson. Seattle is not a city for everyone but I have found my home here and enjoy living in this city a ton as you might already know. People are moving here from all over the world from all types of different climates. Come on out. Tucson will always be there. If you come out that doesn't mean you are stuck here forever.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 7,567 times
Smile where to live in Seattle

Well I have lived in Vail/Tucson for almost 3 years and am from Seattle.
I am also working on moving back to seattle area as well.
I would be more than happy to help you with your questions and concerns.
email me so we can talk!

geh444@gmail.com

Old 02-16-2010, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 7,567 times
Default Advice available

I am from Seattle and live in Tucson and am relocating back to seattle hopefully soon. email me and I will be more than happy to fill you in on the cool places to live in Washington.

geh444@gmail.com

not sure if my prior email was successfully posted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: