Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 03:44 PM

7 posts, read 11,686 times

Advertisements

Yes, another San Diegan is moving to Seattle.

I've searched the forums for the information I'm looking for but most of it is pretty broad. What I'm looking for is any information on Seattle neighborhoods or specific blocks similar to the following ones in San Diego: North Park, South Park, University Heights, Kensington, Normal Heights, Mission Hills, Little Italy and one out of left field... Clairemont/Kearny Mesa.

Reasons I like the above neighborhoods: Craft Beer bars/pubs, a place to watch EPL football, good variety of non-chain restuarants and ethnic foods (Lebanese, Persian, Mexican, Izukaya, Vegetarian, Korean, etc.), easy to walk or bike, urban vibe, and good non-meat market nightlife.

Where in Seattle doesn't matter much because I have to drive for my job so I can't use public transportation for my commute, but my office will be in SoDo.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 04:29 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
If you're going to work in Seattle, its best to live south of the city. Traffic is really bad during Rush hour and... well, we're still not sure what's going to happen to the viaduct.

With that said: Look into West Seattle and White Center abt 10-15 mins away (on a good day) and very scenic, great beaches, Parks, foods, quaintness et c.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:58 PM

How bad would traffic be from north of Lake Union to SoDo? 30-60min?

Old 03-20-2010, 08:32 PM

I am assuming you're talkin about Eastlake? I'd say about 20 minutes at the least.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:12 AM

138 posts, read 1,001,933 times
I just relocated from SD to Seattle a week ago. Staying and looking for a place in West Seattle. It feels very similar to a Hillcrest type feel. Lots of mom/pop shops, happy hours, coffee shops, etc in walking distance. Has a small town feel though. People in general seem a lot nicer up here (maybe bc it's been sunny lately). Have struck up many pleasant conversations with very friendly people.

I was told to stay west of 35th street and out of White Center as far as safety is concerned for my apt search.

Good luck!

Old 03-22-2010, 02:48 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
I'm not too familiar with San Diego, but Fremont sounds like it would be a good neighborhood for you. There is a bar called George and Dragon where all of the European ex-pats go to watch EPL football (aka soccer). There are many ethnic restaurants and non-chain stores as well, and it is fairly urban and definitely walkable. There is easy access to Aurora/I-99, which goes directly to SoDo. The nightlife is a bit meat-markety but there are some chill places as well. It's lost some character over the years but still holds on to an eclectic vibe - the Fremont Summer Solstice parade is something to behold.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:02 PM

Before I posted the I was looking at the areas around Green Lake. Thanks for confirming my thoughts about the area, ToughGuy.

Now, West Seattle wasn't a place I thought of so I'll look into it a bit more. Which is more expensive to live in? I'm probably looking at a 1bdrm or studio, preferably one that allows dogs.

That brings up another point, is one area more dog-friendly then others? I may be bringing this goofball with me.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:14 PM

Well... West Seattle does have the dog parks (notice PLURAL), off-leash and on-leash. You'll definitely notice runners/walkers with their dogs in that area... almost everyone I know living in W. Seattle has a dog or two.

Australian Shepherd mix?

Old 03-22-2010, 11:23 PM

Golden Retriever/Husky/Corgi.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:51 PM

138 posts, read 1,001,933 times
I have a dog and have been told West Seattle is VERY pet friendly! I've taken mine to Westcrest Park (I believe that is what it's called). Great off-leash park (and I believe to be only off leash one in West Seattle) with woods and trees plus an open area.

I think rent here is looking pretty equivalent in price to San Diego. I am about to rent a 1 bd/1ba (800 sq ft) for $1295 per mo. I thought I could find cheaper, but everything I saw was either in a nice area, but really old on the inside, or new on the inside and in a sketchy area. As a girl, safety is my first concern, but also relocating so far from home, I want my place to be nice on the inside, not depressing...so I paid more to get both.

I've been to Fremont and actually really like that area too. Lots of options for you, but West Seattle is especially dog friendly. There is even a bar called Beveridge that allows you to bring your dog in. Some coffee shops allow for it it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: