Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 12:55 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times

Advertisements

Bunkers in Maine, WV/VA mnts or AZ or inland PacNW? Safest longterm SHTF survival area w/ current like-minded conservative Christian Libertarian ppl & also a best Covid retreat nowadays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 03:01 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
Not AZ. The usually empty high country has been inundated by flatlanders from Phoenix escaping heat and covid. In NW AZ we are on I think day 184 without rain, and hottest summer on record. Something like 100 days over 110. If there is a SHTF event (other than one that disables cars) millions will pour into the mountains, where they will end up burning the entire place down and eating anything that moves, before they die. We are already experiencing more assaults in isolated areas. I've reported six stolen vehicles dumped in the back country this year.

Like you (movintime) I've been nearly everywhere in the state. There is no good spot. Right now Crown King is under a fire evac warning. The area around Young is or was burning and major sections are closed off due to fire danger. In AZ there is either no water, no food source, too hot, too many people, too much to burn. Prescott is overrun, Sedona is gridlocked on weekends with hikers and off roaders, and leaf peepers. Flagstaff is misleading, it's population is 80,000, but doesn't account for county or nearby towns that swell it to around 220,000 plus tourists. Maybe up around Alpine or Greer is feasible, if you have $350,000 for a dry camp shack, and don't need a doctor. The entire state is a death trap if the food and fuel stops flowing every few hours. And about 1/4 is indian reservations, and if they go on the warpath in SHTF it's gonna make the 1870's look peaceful...

OR and WA are out, unless you want to give up your gun rights, grow a bun, and get an antifa or proud boy tattoo... And there's apparently a lot of crime in both areas. Though on my travels I haven't really noticed any. Summer fires are a concern.

Idaho still has potential, but covid has hit it hard. For the first time in years we haven't gone to Sun Valley and the Sawtooths.

Wyoming, if you can handle the winters and figure out how to make a living. But it's crazy expensive in most areas you'd want to live.

Montana, similar to WY, but quite a bit of crime in the cities it seems. In Kalispell last year I used my "boot" on my truck at the hotel as so many cars were being stolen. And in many areas throughout the west the air quality is horrible from fire smoke, both winter heating and summer conflagrations.

And forget the motor home, "boondocking" plan. My MIL spent the summer up north and had no end of trouble booking camp sites. Seems everyone had the same idea.

I think the NW "Redoubt" of Idaho/MT is still the most viable, if you can do winters and find work.

Sorry to be so pessimistic but there seems to be no place left to run.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Not AZ. The usually empty high country has been inundated by flatlanders from Phoenix escaping heat and covid. In NW AZ we are on I think day 184 without rain, and hottest summer on record. Something like 100 days over 110. If there is a SHTF event (other than one that disables cars) millions will pour into the mountains, where they will end up burning the entire place down and eating anything that moves, before they die. We are already experiencing more assaults in isolated areas. I've reported six stolen vehicles dumped in the back country this year.

Like you (movintime) I've been nearly everywhere in the state. There is no good spot. Right now Crown King is under a fire evac warning. The area around Young is or was burning and major sections are closed off due to fire danger. In AZ there is either no water, no food source, too hot, too many people, too much to burn. Prescott is overrun, Sedona is gridlocked on weekends with hikers and off roaders, and leaf peepers. Flagstaff is misleading, it's population is 80,000, but doesn't account for county or nearby towns that swell it to around 220,000 plus tourists. Maybe up around Alpine or Greer is feasible, if you have $350,000 for a dry camp shack, and don't need a doctor. The entire state is a death trap if the food and fuel stops flowing every few hours. And about 1/4 is indian reservations, and if they go on the warpath in SHTF it's gonna make the 1870's look peaceful...

OR and WA are out, unless you want to give up your gun rights, grow a bun, and get an antifa or proud boy tattoo... And there's apparently a lot of crime in both areas. Though on my travels I haven't really noticed any. Summer fires are a concern.

Idaho still has potential, but covid has hit it hard. For the first time in years we haven't gone to Sun Valley and the Sawtooths.

Wyoming, if you can handle the winters and figure out how to make a living. But it's crazy expensive in most areas you'd want to live.

Montana, similar to WY, but quite a bit of crime in the cities it seems. In Kalispell last year I used my "boot" on my truck at the hotel as so many cars were being stolen. And in many areas throughout the west the air quality is horrible from fire smoke, both winter heating and summer conflagrations.

And forget the motor home, "boondocking" plan. My MIL spent the summer up north and had no end of trouble booking camp sites. Seems everyone had the same idea.

I think the NW "Redoubt" of Idaho/MT is still the most viable, if you can do winters and find work.

REAL real good summation of current events! I agree the Redoubt areas of ID, MT & part of WY works. So best we get cracking asap. Looking at livable prop in WY just now today & spoke to realtor re cash buy. Small plot but in the Redoubt at least & good nuf for us! stay tuned. how bout u??

Old 10-21-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post

REAL real good summation of current events! I agree the Redoubt areas of ID, MT & part of WY works. So best we get cracking asap. Looking at livable prop in WY just now today & spoke to realtor re cash buy. Small plot but in the Redoubt at least & good nuf for us! stay tuned. how bout u??

Old 10-22-2020, 02:19 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Do your research. Look for the areas with the lowest population density. Where I am in Maine we are under 2 people per square mile (Piscataquis County). Same with some areas of MT and WY. Where there are fewer people, there is more freedom.

But be careful. Be sure you can get to a reasonably sized town within an hour. Some place with a Walmart, Home Depot or Lowes, groceries, auto mechanic, emergency room or clinic. Any more than an hour for that, gets old real fast. Ask me how I know.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:59 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Bunkers in Maine, WV/VA mnts or AZ or inland PacNW? Safest longterm SHTF survival area w/ current like-minded conservative Christian Libertarian ppl & also a best Covid retreat nowadays?
In 2005 we migrated to Maine, and we love it here.

I would suggest if you are thinking about PacNW avoid being downwind of the Bangor subase, and 'Strategic Weapons Facility, Pacific' (SWFPAC). The other place to avoid would be the Hanford site along the Columbia river.

I would also say to avoid being downwind of I.N.L. near Idaho Falls.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:16 AM

152 posts, read 104,224 times
Anyone relocating because of SHTF has to look at the Governors and the politics of the state. Pay attention to who locked down their states and how they handled this pandemic. Look at the gun laws as well. Look at the cities that had riots nightly and then pay attention to the politics of the mayors, Governors, etc. where those riots took place. It doesn't matter which party you vote for, you have to do some soul searching and research before you relocate.

Old 10-22-2020, 12:16 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Montana's governor is term limited out so we get a new one. Looking at how bullock handled things doesn't really apply.
Gun laws here are pretty good, pretty much everyone has at least one and knows how to use it. I spoke to a highway patrolman one time who said you have to treat every stop as if there's a gun in the vehicle, because there is.

So we haven't had any riots here. There were a few die hard old hippies and some stoner college kids that "demonstrated" at a couple County Courthouses, but I think the biggest bunch I heard of was around 20 people.

All that said, we got 2 feet of snow at my place last weekend, there was a 40+ mph wind this morning and it was 28 degrees Fahrenheit. Sunday's low is predicted to be about -3 below zero, and snow is predicted for Friday and Saturday.

Thus is a good place to live, but it ain't an easy place to live.

Old 10-22-2020, 01:39 PM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
You already know what gets my vote. I am already here. Second to that, I would vote for some areas of the Cumberland Plateau. Look for counties that are not adjacent to the bigger cities, and avoid the Oak Ridge area (unless you already work for them).

As for Covid19, I wouldn't worry about it. Look more at the reactions of the people and the government. If they are locking down, still locked down, or ready to lock down again, then they are people or government that you don't want to be around.
(This applies: A person is smart, people are dumb panicky dangerous animals, and you know it. -- Men in Black)

Old 10-22-2020, 04:25 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
You're going to want to be somewhere, where it's mild/warm all year 'round. Once COVID has a chance to settle, in the colder States, we might see some real attrition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness