Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 06:02 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,038,382 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I want to put together a small survival kit that I can pop into my shoulder bag or large purse when I hop hither and yon. Nothing fancy, just something to help if I get stuck in Manhattan after an ‘event’. Even if I do, I probably won’t need this, but in case I end up spending a night or more in the wilds of Battery Park, what do you think of this case and these items I plan on putting in it. Keep in mind that my budget is very, very small.

This case:

Amazon.com: Adventurer Aluminum Survival Kit Box: Sports & Outdoors

This multi-tool…

Amazon.com: Tool Logic CC1SB Credit Card Companion with 1/2-Inch Knife, Translucent Black: Home Improvement

…or this one

Amazon.com: Swiss+Tech MMCSSS Micro-Max 19-in-1 Keychain Multitool: Automotive

This cup…

Amazon.com: ProForce Fold-a-Cup Olive Large: Sports & Outdoors

…or this one

Amazon.com: Sea to Summit X Mug: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Vapur 0.5 Litres Anti-Bottle: Sports & Outdoors

a few of these scattered around my person could be nice:

Amazon.com: Streamlight 73001 Nano Light Miniature Keychain LED Flashlight, Black: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: Cord Lock Light from Black Crater: Home Improvement

Think I’ll get this, at least for the house, could make a nice little night light.

Amazon.com: UCO Micro Lantern: Sports & Outdoors

I would also like to include or already have in my purse: 2 - 4 emergency mylar blankets, Esbit pocket stove and fuel, a few purification tablets, 10 feet or more paracord, duct tape, a little food such as protein bars, cocoa and oatmeal packets, hard candy, bullion, tea, basic first aid, 2nd flashlight, waterproof and stormproof matches w/striker, 9-hour candle(s), plastic eating utensils (to be replaced with better ones when I can), alcohol wipes, wash cloth, baby wipe travel size, sanitizer, spare batteries for flashlights, whistle,

Keep in mind that the general ‘uniform’ for NY commuters, - especially women who travel inter-borough - always have some type of shoulder bag/backpack with us to hold our water, lunch, snacks, books, protein bars, books, iPods, extra shoes…so I would most likely keep this kit in there.

Any suggestions for other items? Thanks for your help folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 06:41 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,614,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Any suggestions for other items? Thanks for your help folks!
Comfortable walking shoes and socks appropriate for the season. Use a pair that you already have that you know are comfortable. But just in case, carry Moleskin.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 04-11-2012 at 06:55 PM..

Old 04-11-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Comfortable walking shoes and socks appropriate for the season. Use a pair that you already have that you know are comfortable. But just in case, carry Moleskin.
I always do - have to wear orthotics. I wear the sneakers, and change to heels when i get where I'm going.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:11 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,961,323 times
Consider this cup: Amazon.com: Bottle Cup Gls Stainless Steel: Sports & Outdoors

Paired with this container (widemouth is important): Amazon.com: Klean Kanteen Stainless Steel Wide Mouth Water Bottle: Sports & Outdoors

You would be able to cook with over fire these if need be.

In addition keep that roll-up water bottle handy and consider a lifestraw Amazon.com: LifeStraw Personal Water Filter: Sports & Outdoors and finding a "water key" to give you access to outdoor water hydrants on the sides of buildings in an emergency. http://www.amazon.com/Wolverine-PST1...f=pd_sim_hi_32

I keep a couple of those LED lights on my purse zippers, keychains, etc... but in addition I keep a small 2AA flashlight worthy of doubling as an impact weapon like this one: ProTac® Series - ProTac® 2AA | Streamlight

Might consider a safety whistle.

Gerber multi-tool: Amazon.com: Gerber 22-00975 SuperKnife Utility Multi-Tool Black: Sports & Outdoors

Consider a large bandana if you need to cover your face to breath, to be used to bandage, splint, filter water, etc... .

Consider a rain poncho: Amazon.com: 4 PACK EMERGENCY GOTTA HAVE IT! HOODED RAIN PONCHO -YELLOW: Sports & Outdoors

a 55 gal barrel liner trashbag could be used to layer for warmth, sleeping, etc...

Consider thin wool hiking socks instead of cotton socks for your sneakers (will keep feet dry, 2 pair is better than one).

Carry in your purse feminine hygiene items which could double as bandages.

You can make/braid some cordage onto your purse, bag, coat zipper, etc... for use later if need be (para-cord).

Consider a waterproof city map to include bus/train schedules. Additionally, if you work in a highrise, consider waterproofing a map of your building's interior showing emergency exits, stairwells etc... (save some folks on 9/11)

Consider a back-up battery source to keep charged for your cell phone.
Amazon.com: iGo PS00273-0001 Charge Anywhere Universal Power Extender (Black): Electronics

Old 04-12-2012, 11:36 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,497,064 times
Just from a guy's perspective, I'd toss the idea of a multi-tool. Why? None of the tools on it are easy to work with, or effective. In its place I'd put a real folding pocket knife -- something made by Buck or Gerber. It will have a longer, stronger blade, and be much easier to use. Kids gave me one of those Leatherman things, and it's bulky to carry, has tiny tools that break, and I never use it. I always carry my Buck folder in its black leather pouch on my belt. Much smaller, and I have real cutting power with it.

I'd add a few of those silver thermal blankets, which can be a lifesaver when you have no shelter. It can get mighty cold and windy, down there at the tip of the island at Battery Park!

Old 04-12-2012, 11:59 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,304,345 times
I agree with you about the value of a good knife, but she's in NYC, so anything other than a small pocket knife may get you a criminal charge. Check local laws.

OP: Do you really need carry 2-4 emergency blankets and a pocket stove with you at all times?

Old 04-12-2012, 12:40 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,730,980 times
You can get just about everything you need at a swap/flea market for cheap. Surplus and second hand stores as well. It wont be shiny or pretty but if your creative you'll adapt.

About the only thing I say dont scrimp on is a water filter straw, multi tool
(all that's needed for you purposes) and good shoes.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:10 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,952,840 times
I can't vouch for all of the credit-card style multi-tools, but the couple I tried out were pretty flimsy and not as useful as I thought. A multi-tool is invaluable for all the little things you'd run into though, so consider one of the heftier ones with good reputations like Leatherman or Gerber or Victorinox... some are even available without a large knife or gut hook that could get you in trouble with city authorities. Maybe it's because I'm a woman with small hands and don't tend to "Mongo" things by brute force, but I use my Leatherman for all sorts of things pretty much everyday and the only thing that has broken is the tiny awl (which was my own fault for using it incorrectly).

In an urban situation, a multi-tool that has a bottle/can-opener and wire cutter would be advisable. Gas/water/bung wrenches and hydrant/faucet keys could be invaluable. A mini pry bar would also be extremely useful.

GLOVES!!!! In addition to a muchness of nitrile disposable gloves for contaminated icky stuff, also consider heavy leather work gloves to protect against glass, nails and other sharp debris. It wouldn't be unreasonable to consider mesh or kevlar cut-slash resistant gloves either.

Not sure your intent with the aluminum box. Is it just for organization and containment? Waterproofing would be better served with a proper o-ring sealed drybox, and cooking/protection would be better served by something more durable that could take heat. The old army mess kits are pretty multi-purpose and can actually store quite a bit inside them (although not waterproof -- use zip baggies)

You might also want to consider a stainless canteen with nesting cup and cooker/stand like this one. Collapsible might take up less space when empty, but tend to be less durable over time and floppy/awkward when full.

A good cross-over-the-shoulder messenger bag that can be converted to a backpack is also advisable for urban situations where theft and getting hung up on debris in tight quarters can be a problem. Messenger bags allow you to easily secure your gear tightly against your stomach in confined spaces, or to pass the bag through a tight opening ahead of you while it is still attached to you so you don't lose it.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Consider this cup: Amazon.com: Bottle Cup Gls Stainless Steel: Sports & Outdoors

Yes, I have that bookmarked, but more for my BOB. I'm trying to keep my daily kit small and lightweight, hence, the folding cup.

Paired with this container (widemouth is important): Amazon.com: Klean Kanteen Stainless Steel Wide Mouth Water Bottle: Sports & Outdoors

Ummm, good idea. I've added both to my (Amazon) wish list

You would be able to cook with over fire these if need be.

In addition keep that roll-up water bottle handy and consider a lifestraw Amazon.com: LifeStraw Personal Water Filter: Sports & Outdoors and wish list! finding a "water key" to give you access to outdoor water hydrants on the sides of buildings in an emergency. Amazon.com: Wolverine PST154 4-Way Sillcock Key: Home Improvement

This is cool. I didn't know that these existed.

I keep a couple of those LED lights on my purse zippers, keychains, etc... but in addition I keep a small 2AA flashlight worthy of doubling as an impact weapon like this one: ProTac® Series - ProTac® 2AA | Streamlight

Might consider a safety whistle.

Gerber multi-tool: Amazon.com: Gerber 22-00975 SuperKnife Utility Multi-Tool Black: Sports & Outdoors

Added it.
Consider a large bandana if you need to cover your face to breath, to be used to bandage, splint, filter water, etc... .

Yes, and I plan to carry a dust mask as well. I already have enough of the WTC in my lungs.

Consider a rain poncho: Amazon.com: 4 PACK EMERGENCY GOTTA HAVE IT! HOODED RAIN PONCHO -YELLOW: Sports & Outdoors

Good idea!
a 55 gal barrel liner trashbag could be used to layer for warmth, sleeping, etc...

I found this the other night:

Amazon.com: Emergency Shelter Tent, Reflective Tube Tent, Cold Weather Emergency Shelter: Sports & Outdoors

I thought I would carry it along with the mylar blankets in case I have to camp out in a park or something.

Consider thin wool hiking socks instead of cotton socks for your sneakers (will keep feet dry, 2 pair is better than one).

I'll add a pair to my list. I don't think I could wear wool much - itchy! - but could pop a pair into my shoulder bag. I often carry extra socks anyway with all the storms we have.
Carry in your purse feminine hygiene items which could double as bandages.

Always! (and not just that brand, LOL!)

You can make/braid some cordage onto your purse, bag, coat zipper, etc... for use later if need be (para-cord).

Yes, I'll definitely order some para-cord.

Consider a waterproof city map to include bus/train schedules. Additionally, if you work in a highrise, consider waterproofing a map of your building's interior showing emergency exits, stairwells etc... (save some folks on 9/11)

Dad was train in fire response for the WTC while he was there. Ever since '93, memorizing the emergency exits is the first thing I do on a new job. NYC also is very strict about having drills every 6 months.

Consider a back-up battery source to keep charged for your cell phone.
Amazon.com: iGo PS00273-0001 Charge Anywhere Universal Power Extender (Black): Electronics
This is a good idea too. I keep a spare, charged, Blackberry battery with me and always charge my BB daily. I'll never forget how we were all panicking that our phones were losing power on 9/11.

It also bears saying that I won't be alone in a desert. NY delis never close. Really! 9/11 they were open as were most restaurants. During the '03 blackout, my parents were in midtown and had to walk all the way down to the SI Ferry. The Delis were giving away ice cream before it melted and cold water to passersby.

See?! New Yorkers can be quite nice!

Old 04-12-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Just from a guy's perspective, I'd toss the idea of a multi-tool. Why? None of the tools on it are easy to work with, or effective. In its place I'd put a real folding pocket knife -- something made by Buck or Gerber. It will have a longer, stronger blade, and be much easier to use. Kids gave me one of those Leatherman things, and it's bulky to carry, has tiny tools that break, and I never use it. I always carry my Buck folder in its black leather pouch on my belt. Much smaller, and I have real cutting power with it.

I'd add a few of those silver thermal blankets, which can be a lifesaver when you have no shelter. It can get mighty cold and windy, down there at the tip of the island at Battery Park!
Pocket knives are iffy here. I don't know what's legal. Besides, I just need something strong enough to cut or saw through things like para-cord. I won't be hacking down small trees.

Already have the blankets on the list, and if you look above, I'm thinking of adding a mylar tent, if it isn't too heavy to carry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness