Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 03:52 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,230,482 times

Advertisements

I went through a particular posters history because one of "you people" called me a rat, you know, less of a person for being disabled. I take great offense to that because I think I did nothing wrong. I am hard of hearing, I need hearing aids to hear and be a normal person. These hearing aids cost money, they need technology to work. I don't see why us disabled people should be left like rats to search for crumbs.

I also see a considerate hatred for city folk, and I think that's a bit undeserved. I agree that some of us are "lazy", that we "don't know nothing", however not all of us have the good fortune of having wise parents pass down skills to their children. Not all of us have the money and resources to get out and buy a farm now. Not all of us are even allowed to farm in our back yards given all the HOA rules the government gave us.

Now, I am a liberal. I think it's nobody's business if a man sleeps with another man. I am undecided on what the correct method of worship is, if there is one. I believe that food should be inspected for safety before being sold to people. I believe in mathematics.

I also believe in hard work, personal responsibility, care of the environment. I also believe that cities are ill-prepared for any major misfortune. I do not believe in leaving things like food and water and shelter to chance, which is why depending on a single large infrastructure for these sorts of systems is stupid. Which is why I am here, so I could learn about methods to protect myself in the event these systems fail.

With that said, I think there should still be a way for people to make advancements on medicine and science, so we reduce our footprint on earth, live a more pleasant life, and stretch our resources longer, so that **** does not have to hit the fan

Old 01-23-2013, 06:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Welcome to this sub forum. You'll find the gamut here from preppers to survivalists.
It's a give and take here. Some just want to be prepared for events like natural disasters while others prepare for the end of civilization as we know it.

As far as your disability goes and preparedness, have some backup devices "just in case".
I wear glasses and have 3 pairs, 2 I keep up to date with prescription and 1 is an emergency pair and I cycle through the 3 so that the emergency pair is just one prescription behind. And some years it doesn't change.

IMHO disabled folks just need to take some extra precautions to prepare. I think those on medications might have it worse.
They have just as much a right to exist as anyone else.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:48 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times
Happy is right. From what I've read of people's past experiences, the weak, elderly, disabled, and handicapped are the most vulnerable in a crisis situation. Hope this forum helps you. However, self sufficiency philosophy isn't usually compatible with today's liberalism. Prepare to read some things you don't like. Hope you learn some things here. I have.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:26 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,234,852 times
Quote:
However, self sufficiency philosophy isn't usually compatible with today's liberalism.
Which is only true if you get your definition of "liberal" from sources like Fox or Rush.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:59 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,230,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Which is only true if you get your definition of "liberal" from sources like Fox or Rush.
Well maybe, given today's political environment the world liberal is the wrong word...

But I believe in a system of beliefs where people are free as long as they don't step on the rights of others.

And that does mean no fraud, no destruction of the environments, no lynching members of another race.

I believe in synergy, where people work together rather than against.

And I also believe in improvement and adaptation.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:29 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
If by liberal, you mean take from the rich and give to the welfare recipients, no, it is not going to be popular on a survival forum. But many preppers are extremely tolerant. You go ahead and do what you do as long as you don't infringe upon me. Which is actually the very definition of conservative. For conservatives the rights of the individual take precedence, as opposed to liberal which is the individual has little value compared to the good of society as a whole.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:34 AM

This is not the political forum folks.

City life depend on "the collective" to have order.
When it all goes to hell in a hand basket the vulnerable will be the first to be forgotten. Mostly because they rely on "the system" to help them although some have individuals that truly care and help them.

Further out in the country though there aren't that many services so it's the community that helps and not for a salary either.

A disabled person, once established in the country, would probably fare better than one in the city reliant on city services.

That's my take on it.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If by liberal, you mean take from the rich and give to the welfare recipients, no, it is not going to be popular on a survival forum. But many preppers are extremely tolerant. You go ahead and do what you do as long as you don't infringe upon me. Which is actually the very definition of conservative. For conservatives the rights of the individual take precedence, as opposed to liberal which is the individual has little value compared to the good of society as a whole.
But social behavior, like helping out neighbors, happens in conservative areas so it's not just that individualistic mentality.

The local food pantry, for example, knows which families need extra due to circumstances that might have recently happened.

I find that in the cities people tend to want someone else taking care of society and they pay for it where out in the country people help out themselves directly.

It's hard to put it into words but I find more genuine concern and caring among rural folks than city folks.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:18 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,933 times
Hi! I stumbled here too. I consider myself a 'prepper-lite', prepping for storms like Sandy, terrorism and such. You can get a lot of really good info here. Some you will use, some you will not. It all depends on your individual needs.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:03 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,129,810 times
Sorry dude the 'im disabled' card won't gain you much traction with me....

I get to park in the blue parking spaces too...

Same as the other person said about taking from people to give to others vs freely given.

Cities: not for me, if you want to.... Doesn't bother me.

Enjoy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness