Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 04:33 PM

207 posts, read 714,374 times

Advertisements

my roommate collects dryer lint out of the dryers and melts wax and puts both in egg cartons then cuts up the sections of the cartons to use as fire starters. I've collected a few egg cartons but I was wondering if I could use something else as a mold for the wax and sawdust and pop it out to make another one. Something the size of an egg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 05:18 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
There are gadgets sold at garden supply that make small seedling pots out of repurposed newspaper, or you can make your own just the size you want. Those would probably work as a good mold for your firestarters and would be a built-in wick like the paper egg cartons.

Or cut down empty toilet paper or paper towel rolls, put the rings on a cookie sheet or add a bit of newspaper for a bottom, and use that as your mold and wick combo.

Silicone ice cube trays or mini-muffin pans would work as a flexible and heat-resistant mold if you didn't have a lot of paper egg cartons or newspaper laying about to be repurposed. You'd still probably want some sort of paper lining (or lint/raffia wick) in there so that there's something to get the whole thing started since wax and sawdust don't catch immediately.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:10 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Back in the very old memory banks, I remember making something with tuna cans and wax. maybe we added cardboard or something. It was a boy scout thing, and I just don't remember that well.
OK, just Googled scout stuff and found this:
USE CARDBOARD EGG CTNS,FILL WILL DRYER LINT, ADD SHORT PIECE OF TWINE TO ACT AS WICK,POUR LEFT OVER PARAFIN INTO EACH EGG CUP. TEAR CUP SECTION OFF TO USE AS FIRE STARTER.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:31 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
You were making boy scout burners. Used for cooking out doors. Rolled up corrugated forced into a short tin can (openings up) and filled with parafin ( or any fat or flammable oil), these things will burn long enough to make chili or hamburger stew.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:49 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
The OP might consider foil mini-cupcake liners and using a mini cupcake tray for additional support during the molding process. For something smaller consider saving the aluminium liners from tea lights.

Is there a reason the OP wants something as large as an egg for a firestarter? I'd think you could get by on the "less is more" if proper tinder is used.

Consider jute twine, both as it comes (to fray into bird's nest) and also preparing some "waxed". A search on YouTube will bring up dozens of bushcrafting videos addressing same.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:38 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Another way is to get saw dust, and add it to melted wax, like oatmeal. As it cools you can roll it into sticks to be cut off as you please, or roll it into a ball, no wrapper coating holder needed.

The way these work is the saw dust, jute, lint, what have you, are wicks and the wax is fuel

This is tinder, not a fire starter. With out a heat source it won't catch fire.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:59 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The OP might consider foil mini-cupcake liners and using a mini cupcake tray for additional support during the molding process. For something smaller consider saving the aluminium liners from tea lights.

Is there a reason the OP wants something as large as an egg for a firestarter? I'd think you could get by on the "less is more" if proper tinder is used.

Consider jute twine, both as it comes (to fray into bird's nest) and also preparing some "waxed". A search on YouTube will bring up dozens of bushcrafting videos addressing same.

One of the reasons for using cans is that they can be set on the ground under your pot and do not spread the fire. I would think these boy scout burners could be used indoors. I don't remember any soot or at least not much when we used to use them for heating up food on outings.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:34 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
I use heavy chunky sawdust such as cedar cut with a chain saw. Any excess wax can be used. I save old candle stubs and sometimes industrial wax such as the lost wax used in casting steel. You can put one in your pocket unlike the vaseline style starters. The heavy sawdust contributes to the fire and the was does not run off. Be sure to use DRY sawdust. If it is damp it can spit chunks of burning fire starter all over the place.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:57 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Another way is to get saw dust, and add it to melted wax, like oatmeal. As it cools you can roll it into sticks to be cut off as you please, or roll it into a ball, no wrapper coating holder needed.

The way these work is the saw dust, jute, lint, what have you, are wicks and the wax is fuel

This is tinder, not a fire starter. With out a heat source it won't catch fire.

Thanks for catching my terminology brainfart.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:36 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
Mine is the good old Magnesium fire starter kit (4 at home, 1 in the car). Which I'll use after I run out of my regular collection of utility lighters (always bunches of the laying around... 20 or so, no I'm not a smoker, neither is my family...)

Lint I do admit, I collect as a flammable material.
Wood = trees I do have at least a few years supply I can cut down.
Wax in candle form... I have a few months supply... seriously, I collect them too & I do recycle & collect old leftover wax.
I use jute for many crafts... so there are always some laying around.

Don't do saw dust.

I also do have spare cans of propane (small, medium portable & big)... since we ditched our gas grill & just bought a charcoal weber.

Can always double my grill to burn charcoal, wood or anything else flammable & it is portable enough to go anywhere.

Dunno... however z wind blows...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness