Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 12:19 PM

1,094 posts, read 1,277,779 times

Advertisements

Well, I went thru another hurricane. Now my neighbor gets it when I speak of 'wet' hurricanes. He judged hurricanes by the wind speed. Now he knows better. The south shore, New Orleans, had looting - again. There was the usual lot whinning about no one taking care of them - again. Most people on the north shore did OK. We almost had 2 additional disasters on the north shore where I live. Lock & Dam #2 just north of Bush, La., almost failed. St. Tammany's president took the initiative and cut the lock to get in. He opened some valves to relieve the pressure. The Corp of Engineers objected, then backed off. If he had not opened the valves, about 1200 homes would have been destroyed.

The 2,300 foot long earthen dam at Percy Quinn State Park also threatened to fail. This would have flooded about 1 mile on each side of the Tangipahoa River all the way down to Lake Ponchartrain. There were 2 areas on the dam, each about 70 foot wide, where the sides of the dam slumped. About 60,000 people were told to get out until the dam was stablized.

In both cases, local officials acted promptly and the disaster was averted. You will notice that I said 'LOCAL'! As usual, the Feds were waiting in the wings.

Most of the non-residents I speak to think of hurricanes as wind, storm surge, and rain. They forget that these things spawn tornadoes along their edges, and, the wetter the hurricane, the worse it is. Isaac stalled and just kept dumping more and more water.

My neighbor has had enough. He has put his home up for sale. At least he did take the step of cooling his house down to 60 degrees a couple of days before the storm hit. The house, like a refrigerator, will stay cool for several days if you keep the opening of doors to a minimum.

FEMA was rather discourged. They arrived with MREs and had some left over. They are now offering food money to people who lost their food supplies due to the storm.

I introduced my neighbor to dry ice. They had never heard of it and didn't know how to use it. Put eggs too close to the lump of dry ice and froze 'em!

We came thru fine - it's nice to have your own supplies. The oil lamps sufficed and were supplemented by fully charged landscaped lighting. I must admit that making coffee and tea on a grill is a real pain. Now I just need to get all that black of the bottom of my coffee pot and tea kettle! I did run out of the kindling I a stockpiled and needed to use some of my fire starters. I will replace the firestarters in the next few weeks. One thing tho, I will stock more toilet tissue next time!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 10:18 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,587,748 times
Glad to see you are safe and doing OK

Old 09-06-2012, 11:25 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,836,530 times
We had near hurricane force winds with gusts between 58 and 125 mph depending on location during a freak storm two nights ago. Many trees are down or broken, many without power. I had one long sleepless night watching my trees bend nearly in half, seeing my heavy teak lawn furniture rolling across the lawn and hearing the groans and bangs of nearby buildings shed their shingles, siding and fences. I can't imagine having that repeatedly. Frankly, I'd probably be like your neighbor, putting my house up for sale. I'm glad that you are fine.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:29 PM

21 posts, read 35,678 times
DUDE issac was a non starter.It was'nt ****.Nothing not even a storm.IT WASN'T nothing. I find it totally hilariousy that PEOPLE find this kind of **** news worthy.This **** did'nt effect the grade schools!It wan't a storm.It didnt regeister.Everbody was like what the ****? It wasn't ****.If you don't live in FL it might have been something of life time.But if you were borne here it WAS NOTHING.NOTHING aour 2nd graders would have been flying kites.Maybe i'm gaded by being born her.But EVERY BODY that i have talked to is in agrement with me.IT was nothing.Have fun welcome to the south.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:41 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,131,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erattic1 View Post
DUDE issac was a non starter.It was'nt ****.Nothing not even a storm.IT WASN'T nothing. I find it totally hilariousy that PEOPLE find this kind of **** news worthy.This **** did'nt effect the grade schools!It wan't a storm.It didnt regeister.Everbody was like what the ****? It wasn't ****.If you don't live in FL it might have been something of life time.But if you were borne here it WAS NOTHING.NOTHING aour 2nd graders would have been flying kites.Maybe i'm gaded by being born her.But EVERY BODY that i have talked to is in agrement with me.IT was nothing.Have fun welcome to the south.
Must disagree.

I went down there because my mother refused to leave.

Her house is on piers (as everyone's there should be)

Water was quite a bit higher than Katrina.

The hurricane wasn't anything, but the flood was.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:47 PM

1,094 posts, read 1,277,779 times
Themanwithnoname -

My mother is the reason I haven't left. She is 90 and frail. If I can get her health stabilized, we will get the heck out of here.

It's not only the weather that concerns me, but my neighbors. When we moved into our house, we were in the middle of nowhere. The road had just been converted from dirt to gravel. Unfortunately, the people who were our neighbors then by and large have left. Most of them left after Katrina. The kind of comments we get now are to the effect that we must have money since our lot is so large. When we moved in, our lot was the small piece. After Katrina, taxes skyrocketed, and the large lots were broken up into smaller pieces.

I am truely looking forward to getting out of here. The kind of neighbors you have count for a lot. Our original neighbors were down home country people and one set of hippies. If you had trouble, you yelled and they came running. I prefer them to the current bunch. Now if you yell for help, they will call 911 for you and wait in the safety of their homes to see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness