Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 05:23 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Glad you did all of that. I was going to do something similar and point out that you'd need a building roof that covered much of an acre. It is feasible to cover an acre of ground with "rain collection" technology, but prohibitive in a practical and economic sense.
Our eldest son [mid-20s] is in Kansas and wants to move to Arizona. He thinks he can do rain-water collection from the roof of a single-wide trailer. Apparently he has seen blogs about people building greenhouses over the top of in-ground pools. Then able to grow food.

I have had a similar discussion with him. [ie, ratio of square-footage of roof to how much water you need] But there are blogs, so that proves it is all possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I was stationed in El Paso and spent a lot of time in West Texas, and parts of SW Texas. It's desert, lol Agree to disagree.
One person sees 'lush', another person sees desert.

I find it hard to imagine any part of Texas being 'lush'.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
... I look to be where there are no people AND climate suits me. Cold just doesn't do it for me, people like Submariner have tried hard to point out the good things about Maine and they sometimes use words like a "banana belt" but banana or not, it is freeze your *** cold there for the majority of the year. Same goes for WY, MT, ID etc. Beautiful places, been there in the summer and loved it but always had enough sense to think before I just ran to move to a state like that.
? ? ?

I have never advocated anyone go to Arctic Tundra.

Freeze the majority of the year?

You mention me, and then you go off into some fantasy. That is rude.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:51 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Our eldest son [mid-20s] is in Kansas and wants to move to Arizona. He thinks he can do rain-water collection from the roof of a single-wide trailer. Apparently he has seen blogs about people building greenhouses over the top of in-ground pools. Then able to grow food.

I have had a similar discussion with him. [ie, ratio of square-footage of roof to how much water you need] But there are blogs, so that proves it is all possible.
There are some amazing things done with permaculture, Swales, hougleculture (sp?) etc...
People actually ARE greening the desert...

I'll pass though, thanks.

Picked up the parts to assemble a RAM pump today to get the water up the hill without electricity.

I LIKE having free flowing water!!!!

Old 06-27-2013, 08:01 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,307 times
Quote:
One person sees 'lush', another person sees desert.

I find it hard to imagine any part of Texas being 'lush'.
You've obviously never been to East Texas... The state has everything, lush forests, rivers, ocean, desert, hills, mountains, plains

Old 06-27-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
There are some amazing things done with permaculture, Swales, hougleculture (sp?) etc...
People actually ARE greening the desert...

I'll pass though, thanks.

Picked up the parts to assemble a RAM pump today to get the water up the hill without electricity.

I LIKE having free flowing water!!!!
Permaculture holds some great ideas. I attend monthly events hosted by a local PDC group.

About 15 acres of my land is a swale.

The buried logs thing is a neat idea too.

I live beneath the canopy of a lush forest.

I too like having ample water available

Old 06-27-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
You've obviously never been to East Texas... The state has everything, lush forests, rivers, ocean, desert, hills, mountains, plains
I spent 3 months in San Antonio, I have driven the length of I-10 and the length of I-20 [East Coast to West Coast].

I have never lived in East Texas.

I can attest that Texas has rivers, deserts, hills and plains.

As to forests, ocean, or mountains, I have never observed such, or seen such on a map. Texas does border the Gulf of Mexico, a sea, but no ocean.

Mountains? that is like Mainers whining that Maine has mountains. Do I need to carry an O2 bottle with me to climb it? No. Spare me about your anthills. I have climbed mountains. What mountain does Texas have? Name one I dare you.

Lush forests? Again where?

Tell us where Texas has a lush forest or a mountain.

Last edited by Submariner; 06-27-2013 at 08:46 PM..

Old 06-27-2013, 11:10 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
Quote:

https://www.tsl.state.tx.us/ref/abouttx/mountains.html

Old 06-28-2013, 06:36 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,307 times
Quote:
I spent 3 months in San Antonio, I have driven the length of I-10 and the length of I-20 [East Coast to West Coast].

I have never lived in East Texas.

I can attest that Texas has rivers, deserts, hills and plains.

As to forests, ocean, or mountains, I have never observed such, or seen such on a map. Texas does border the Gulf of Mexico, a sea, but no ocean.

Mountains? that is like Mainers whining that Maine has mountains. Do I need to carry an O2 bottle with me to climb it? No. Spare me about your anthills. I have climbed mountains. What mountain does Texas have? Name one I dare you.

Lush forests? Again where?

Here is a link to one of the four national forests in TX:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piney_Woods
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Thicket
National Forests and Grasslands in Texas - Districts
History of Texas forests - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gulf of Mexico is an OCEAN basin and is connected to the Atlantic via the Florida straits.
Gulf of Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Texas also has the country's second largest canyon (Palo Duro).
Palo Duro Canyon State Park

The mountains in Maine are only 4-5,000 ft in elevation so you are right, not really mountains.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mountains_of_Maine

Compared to the Rockies the mountains in Texas are not that tall but they do come in over 8,000 feet in elevation so yes, Texas has mountains, someone above already posted a link for you to peruse.

It is OK to be ignorant about something, that's why these forums exist, to get educated

Old 06-28-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
... Gulf of Mexico is an OCEAN basin and is connected to the Atlantic via the Florida straits.
All seas connect to an ocean. Being connected to an ocean does not make it an ocean.

Quote:
... Compared to the Rockies the mountains in Texas are not that tall but they do come in over 8,000 feet in elevation so yes, Texas has mountains, someone above already posted a link for you to peruse.

It is OK to be ignorant about something, that's why these forums exist, to get educated
So you define 8,000ft as a mountain?

Give me a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness