Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 09:31 PM

29 posts, read 110,978 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this idea makes much sense, but I would suggest that the best places for bugging out or living off the grid are places that are "under the radar" of both the general public and preppers -- places that DON'T have a lot of natural attraction for either. Thinking mainly small towns and rural areas in the Midwest or Plains that most people just pass through on their way to somewhere else. If relatively few people go out of their way to visit or live there, that means you might be more likely to be left alone and not have to compete for resources in a SHTF scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 12:29 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainer View Post
I don't know if this idea makes much sense, but I would suggest that the best places for bugging out or living off the grid are places that are "under the radar" of both the general public and preppers -- places that DON'T have a lot of natural attraction for either. Thinking mainly small towns and rural areas in the Midwest or Plains that most people just pass through on their way to somewhere else. If relatively few people go out of their way to visit or live there, that means you might be more likely to be left alone and not have to compete for resources in a SHTF scenario.
The Midwest is far too densely populated for safety, but the Plains statest are very suitable. The population is homogenous and the density low. Big cities are far away. Natives have traditionally been distrustful of government; transplants are even more so. This is the real heartland where the ideals of the Founding Fathers still thrive.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:46 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Well, I would do the same actually but you got to make a living . This is the catch 22 - I can make a living working from home on the Internet but in the boonies there is usually no internet so there you go. Way to push everyone to live in the city. I do not even consider ourselves to be in the boonies, that's the sad part. 40 miles SW of a city of million people, 20 miles east of a big booming college town and I am still paying $75/month for 1Mbit up/down line of sight wireless. It's either that of getting raped by Verizon at the rate of $120/month for 14 Gb of their precious 4G LTE. It simply doesn't pay for Time Warner to lay the cable out here I guess. The government is washing their hands off it, apparently wiring the country is not a priority and so what if your rural population still dials their modems to get the news or their job done...
Have you got Sprint 4G service in your area? You can get Sprint 4G through Cradlepoint Routers, In-Car Internet, Aircard Routers, Cellular Modem The company name is wireless N wifi.

The data cap is 60gb per month (although they claim "unlimited") and they charge 79.99 for the service. You have to call them and ask about pure 4G service. The offer on the front page is for "Wimax" which you will not have in your area. I am getting about 10mbps down/5mbps up and the latency is around 45

It took some doing to get a signal where I'm at. I have to use a cyfre amp and a grid antenna since the tower is about ten miles away. I do have to make seasonal adjustments to the antenna due to leaf coverage on the trees.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:18 PM

635 posts, read 784,539 times
Default Hotter than hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
LOL!!! you trying to lead the lambs to the slaughter???

Montana is nearly as large as California, but with only 1 million people, and the majority live in 6 larger towns or close by. Leaves a lot of unoccupied space, so yeah, low population density.
Wyoming has fewer people, but is a much smaller state.

Every year in the summer you have a lot of out of staters, Californians especially, that move here and build their dream McMansion and plan on staying.

We can and do get snow any month of the year, but normally the first killing frosts hit in early September.
By October, the snow is starting to stick.

November, the mercury drops below zero.

December, January and February the snow piles up, the mercury stays down close to zero and takes several trips south to the -30 or more range. Add in winds that can and do blow at 70 MPH and can blow for a week causing drifts higher than the houses and dropping the wind chill into the -60 or worse range. Worst I have seen was in the early 80's when the temps were at -70 and with wind chill it was a nippy
-120 degrees.
Last February, one storm alone it snowed for 56 hours straight dropping nearly 3 feet of snow, then when it broke, the temps went down to -35 and stayed there for a week.

March comes along with longer days, more snow, and just for fun, you add in flooding or freezing rain that turns the whole place into a skating rink.

April finally comes along, more snow, ice storms, freezing rain, but some days will warm to 50 degrees. Planting a garden means starting your seeds in the house because it is still far too cold to plant.

May, Spring is here! If you have a greenhouse or hotbed. Killing frosts are still the norm as nighttime temps are usually around 20 degrees.

June. Now you can plant your garden, but don't rule out killing frosts or late snow.

July, Hot. Usually it doesn't get over 100 degrees, but the winds dry out the vegetation, so this is the start of fire season. Thousands of acres of forest on fire means thick choking smoke.

August. Hot, dry, the height of fire season, no rain, dust and smoke. Some days you can't see across the road. The only thing that saves you is if you are lucky enough to get the early snows in September.

Every spring there is a new crop of McMansions for sale as all the folks that didn't believe the stories move back to warmer places.

Montana is a great place to vacation in the summer, but you better know your business if you plan on trying to live here. The same story has played out year after year, why do you think that a vacation destination like Montana only has 1 million people? It sure ain't because the living is easy.

Very few people stay here for 5 years. There are no amenities you find in the city, you actually have to be able to take care of yourself, think ahead and actually be self sufficient enough to fix your own car on a lonely road, or keep yourself alive in sub-zero temperatures.
I think those stats you quoted are put together by either the realtor association or the tourism bureau. They don't reflect what life can really be like here.

Folks are welcome to try and prove me wrong though, thousands have tried and failed before.

P.S. I WORK in Helena, I don't live there as no-one that doesn't want most of their income going to city taxes lives in Helena.
My primary residence is in Sweet Grass county, whole lot different from where I work. And no, I only commute on weekends, but I have a small place outside of Helena where I live during the week.
I saw this in Phoenix. The state is made up of people from everywhere. But not everyone can handle the heat. I visited my grampa and noticed that all his neighbor's homes were for sale after the first few days of 112 heat. They actually packed up and left almost overnight. Montana sure has a short growing season.Cold winter. I guess this keeps the riff raff out.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
I would not choose Texas which is nearly a Soviet Union style police state. Also no open-carry in TX.
I don't believe that even the Soviet Union did this.

State Police Now Fingerprinting Every Texan - Personal Liberty : Personal Liberty

Old 07-16-2014, 05:01 AM

Default States where people are prepared (and not prepared)

Don't bother with the zombie garbage; read the details. Estately sells homes all over the country so they didn't dare run off clients in lemming country.

Preparedness of the sort they used as criteria for picking the best states provide results not terribly dissimilar from our preferences. One thing, and it was a big thing, surprised me; that's the lack of preparedness in the Southeast. Not surprisingly. the Great Plains and Intermountain states came out on top. If the results in the South had been able to be based on only Whites, however, the results would have been far more accurate. There would still be the life-threatening heterogeneity, however.

Our chances of survival are greatest where we're among like-minded people.

Is Your State Ready for the Zombie Apocalypse? New Jersey Sure Isn’t (Map) - Speakeasy - WSJ

Old 07-16-2014, 12:23 PM

323 posts, read 499,707 times
I had my license renewed in Texas recently and was electronically fingerprinted. If its to identify criminals and dead bodies I don't really see anything wrong with it. As far as open carry goes, seems to me that hidden carry, or whatever you call it, is more effective. Go around with an open carry gun, that is like having a target on your back. I open carry Bear Spray

Old 07-16-2014, 12:58 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post
I had my license renewed in Texas recently and was electronically fingerprinted. If its to identify criminals and dead bodies I don't really see anything wrong with it. As far as open carry goes, seems to me that hidden carry, or whatever you call it, is more effective. Go around with an open carry gun, that is like having a target on your back. I open carry Bear Spray
This is the epitome of what is wrong, no?

Old 07-16-2014, 01:06 PM

323 posts, read 499,707 times
What is wrong is that most of the people in this country can't take care of themselves, not really. I don't like being fingerprinted. I am no criminal. But there are a lot of truly monstrous criminals in this country that I am GLAD they have their fingerprints.

It is funny to me to read of so many people here concerned about the internet/cell phone access of their bug out zone. If the grid goes down, what good is it?

Old 07-17-2014, 06:18 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,307 times
Quote:
What is wrong is that most of the people in this country can't take care of themselves, not really. I don't like being fingerprinted. I am no criminal. But there are a lot of truly monstrous criminals in this country that I am GLAD they have their fingerprints.
Hmmm. I suppose listening in on your phone calls, reading your emails and opening your letters also has a justification? Why not also take your DNA with the fingerprints? How about a brain scan, MRI and an iris scan?

Quote:
It is funny to me to read of so many people here concerned about the internet/cell phone access of their bug out zone. If the grid goes down, what good is it?
Most people can only afford one place, this is where they live and it will most likely be their BOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness