Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 06:19 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times

Advertisements

Maturity and strength far beyond her years:

Girl, 7, Who Walked Away from Plane Crash Had Survival Skills: Family - NBC News

The 7-year-old girl who walked away from a small plane crash in western Kentucky that killed four members of her family used survival skills passed down by her father to find her way to safety, relatives told NBC News.

Sailor Gutzler was the sole survivor after her family's Piper twin-engine aircraft landed upside down in a wooded area in Lyon County on Friday, leaving her parents, sister and cousin dead.

The plucky girl emerged from the plane, lit a stick from the burning wing and then — bloodied and with broken bones — walked through the cold darkness, her family said Saturday.

The strong-willed second-grader trekked three-quarters of a mile through the woods and a creek before she knocked on a homeowner's door for help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 07:24 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
A strong will for survival in that young girl. So tragic that she'll spend her life w/o her family, though.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:50 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
She may have had "survival skills" but she also had a lot of luck...and that is why she's alive today, not due to her "survival skills". At least one other person in the crash - her father - had survival skills as well, but he didn't survive. Her survival had more to do with the fact that she weighed very little, and just did not sustain life-threatening injuries. The others weren't as lucky.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:50 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
She may have had "survival skills" but she also had a lot of luck...and that is why she's alive today, not due to her "survival skills". At least one other person in the crash - her father - had survival skills as well, but he didn't survive. Her survival had more to do with the fact that she weighed very little, and just did not sustain life-threatening injuries. The others weren't as lucky.
Any other small child alone and without those skills would have perished in those woods.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:58 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
What were her skills? I'm not aware of any reported, I must have missed it.
She sure is cute. First photo I have seen.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:16 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
The "skills" were the capacity for clear thinking in very stressful circumstances, situation assessment, needs assessment, and planning/taking appropriate action. Whether or not they are properly called 'survival skills' is academic. The point is that they are pretty uncommon among 7-year-old children here in the US of A.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:33 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
Most seven year olds, and many older people, would have simply curled up in a ball and cried. She didn't because she had the will to survive regardless of what she had suffered. Skills are handy, but her will to survive is what saved her.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:35 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Most seven year olds, and many older people, would have simply curled up in a ball and cried. She didn't because she had the will to survive regardless of what she had suffered. Skills are handy, but her will to survive is what saved her.
You'll get no argument from me...

Old 01-06-2015, 12:19 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
She sure is cute. First photo I have seen.
She did have survival skills. it was on the news. Her father taught all of his family wilderness survival skills.

However, the little girl was extremely lucky to survive the crash in a condition that she could walk. So, luck was a huge factor.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:52 PM

2,184 posts, read 2,321,661 times
I think most 7-year olds could survive and walk about a mile to safety if they were guided by a houselight. It's not that far.
She's fortunate her legs weren't broken or that the plane didn't land slightly farther in either direction; otherwise, she would have suffered the same fate as her family.

The kid was plain lucky.
It's good to hear she has other family to continue on with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness