Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 05:47 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,751 times

Advertisements

In researching self-sustainable systems for the farm we are setting up, I have found the lagoon to be the most (outside source)maintenance free system for dealing with sewage disposal. No pumping of tanks, no replacement of clogged laterals, no grinders, aerators or other power-needy devices, just the natural action of sunlight and bacteria. This is, of course, assuming proper construction and preparation to begin with. How many of you are using a lagoon for this purpose, and what have been your experiences?

(I have used them much of my life, and nearly everyone in this area uses one. Many farms have had the same lagoon in operation for multiple generations, with the addition of 5lbs. of lime once annually the only maintenance done, no smell, no problems.)

I bring this up, so those who have a need to know can get firsthand info on real world use of these systems. They are the most cost effective legal system I know of.

Disclaimer: This assumes there are no rules against these in the reader's area. Everybody, be sure to check the local rules before you plan on a lagoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 06:56 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
They are the most cost effective legal system I know of.

Disclaimer: This assumes there are no rules against these in the reader's area. Everybody, be sure to check the local rules before you plan on a lagoon.
Yeah, don't that is legal here.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:30 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,006,984 times
Waste Stabilization Lagoons are probably the lowest accepted form of residential waste disposal systems. They are normally regulated even when other systems are not. I know areas where cesspools and septic systems are allowed with little regulations but a whole manual on WSLs. The biggest advantage is most are located in rural areas as part of some agricultural/livestock operation so many are grandfathered in. The downside is, unless you are in a remote area, most places will now want some other form of onsite waste treatment going forward.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:41 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times
Lagoons aren't used here to my knowledge, at least I've never seen one or heard of one, but then again, most of my country is frozen over for the better part of the year so an open lagoon would likely not work as it would freeze solid.

For my retirement place I'm planning on a containment unit that I can pull the methane off of, filter into natural gas and use the gas for heat and power.
I had also considered a second containment unit that I could dump waste from the barn for additional gas and also to compost the hotter manures like cow or horse so it could be used as fertilizer without burning the plants. Haven't decided for sure on that one yet.

Mostly what is installed in my state, with the exception of places where the bedrock is too close to the surface, are septic tanks with a drainfield.

Where there isn't enough soil for a drainfield, some places have tanks that have to be pumped once a year or so.

Of course, outhouses are pretty popular away from civilization and for cabins and such

Last edited by MTSilvertip; 04-08-2015 at 07:51 AM..

Old 04-08-2015, 07:55 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
The downside is, unless you are in a remote area, most places will now want some other form of onsite waste treatment going forward.
Even of you are in a remote area, it's difficult to use anything but a professionally-designed septic system.

We were interested in a composting toilet (cost: over $2,000) for our new place, built in 2013. We believe that water used in flushing is wasteful, as it is clean, potable water. We also have concerns about polluting groundwater, esp in our area where there is just a dug well of perhaps 22' below the surface.

But that was not to be. We had to go with a flush model, so we sprang for one of those (whoosh!) power-assisted flush units that pretty much does away with plunging. Ever since they came out with the pathetic 1.2 gallon flush models, we have had a problem with clogging and subsequent plunging - often several times. We had 2 of those power-assist units at our last home in RI, and now have one in Maine. They don't use any more water, but send it off with a powerful jet like the ones you see in restaurants and sports venues.

We were required to connect to the well, but don't actually use it for drinking/cooking. A lot of money wasted to comply with rules and regs that should not be required as far out as our property is.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:17 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,204,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
In researching self-sustainable systems for the farm we are setting up, I have found the lagoon to be the most (outside source)maintenance free system for dealing with sewage disposal. No pumping of tanks, no replacement of clogged laterals, no grinders, aerators or other power-needy devices, just the natural action of sunlight and bacteria. This is, of course, assuming proper construction and preparation to begin with. How many of you are using a lagoon for this purpose, and what have been your experiences?

(I have used them much of my life, and nearly everyone in this area uses one. Many farms have had the same lagoon in operation for multiple generations, with the addition of 5lbs. of lime once annually the only maintenance done, no smell, no problems.)

I bring this up, so those who have a need to know can get firsthand info on real world use of these systems. They are the most cost effective legal system I know of.

AFAIK, lagoons have never been used in NYS for private septic systems. Septic tank systems were required going back to the 1950s in more progressive counties, and by the late 1970s, even the more backward counties required septic tanks and leach fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness