Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2015, 06:03 PM

286 posts, read 262,792 times

Advertisements

get some scrap lumber and 8" PVC pipe. nail together the lumber, into 3 ft long, 6" square boxes. Stake them down, so that coyotes and dogs can't move them, and rabbits will increase their numbers there. Dig holes horizontally back into hillssides, and insert the 6 ft long PVC. Rabbits, skunks and weasels will take iup abode in them. The vertical trap doors that you install make it easy to access the holed up critters. Just shove a big can on the end of a stick up into the pipe first. :-)

Read a book called "survival poaching", by Ragnar Benson, you'll be amazed at what you've learned.

Fell a small tree across every creek in your area, every mile or so of the water way's length. Use your saw and chisel/hatchet to make a big notch in the center of the log. If you need animal food, set a leg hold trap in the notch, covered with grass and leaves. Or mount stiff wire snare loops sticking up vertically, all along the log.

Bury some salt blocks, one every 2 miles or so, in every heavily wooded area. Bait the dirt above the salt with carrots, apples, sweet corn, until you see "sign" that lots of deer are using the licks. If you need venison, it will be a simple matter to snare the deer. or have tree stands nearby and folding blind, so you can quietly shoot the critters at dawn. get into the stand a couple of hours before dawn. take a book to read with your little red light (mounted on an eyeglass frame). wear musk and full camo.

Put up boxes for various birds (ducks, too) to nest in. rig roosts where hawks and owls can't get to the other birds.

An old trapper's trick, that few know, is to have the trap setup arranged all year, but the traps buried/unset. Every now and then spring, summer, fall, bait each area a bit. Entire generations of animals will learn to associate your scent with food, not danger. they will habitually check those sites, believe it. then, when cold weather makes the furs worth having,and when you need meat for the winter, you set the traps and bait them again. THEN you'll get enough response to make it worth your WHILE to run your trapline.

Same thing with prepping waters for/with fish, of course. If there aint any, bring them in. Build habitat for them and feed them a bit.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:20 PM

400 posts, read 414,347 times
A snared deer who has thrashed in agony for hours or days does not have good meat.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:54 PM

and when you're starving, you will CARE about that, right? what's the longest you've been without food? 2 hours?

Old 08-02-2015, 12:47 PM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonest View Post
... Read a book called "survival poaching", by Ragnar Benson, you'll be amazed at what you've learned.
I think that you are amazed at what you think you have 'learned'.

From your many posts here, it remains obvious to every that you have little / no experience doing any of these things.

Go do, then tell us about what you learn.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:11 PM

Have YOU been on the run for 2 years? Dealt with hundreds of dangerous men? Have you escaped from controlled custody? I trapped as a kid. Have YOU made a hundred silencers? Have you shot Class A in world championship and US Nat'l championship combat matches? Have you made and sold a dozen smg's? Have you machined a working 1911 frame from billet? Have you walked 120 miles, in 8 nights living out of a little gym bag, in mid winter? shattered your teeth on a steering wheel, spit them out, get out to go check on the other guy? Would you DARE to even OWN guns with it being a felony for you? I ccw'd one for 10 years, at that risk, (daily) have you shot HUNDREDS of animals with CCW pistols? hunted with silencers? Have you lived in a mini-van for 10 months, from 110F down to -10F? Can you squat 350 and bench 250, at age 60+? Got a beautiful 27 year old wife, at that age? :-) I"ve shot more game with a silenced .22 pistol than you've looked (most likely). I drove the backroads to do it, mostly at night. I probably know more poachers than you know legit hunters, too.

We all are WAITING for you to TRY pointing out some details where i"m wrong. It's been tried before, many thousands of times, by guys whom I made eat **** (rather easily).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness