Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 10:12 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I'd give it away. Complicates life too much!

I'm kind of in agreement with this...

Most people who have won millions in the lottery have either lost it all, or have had so many complications as a result of it that their lives are now miserable...

I'd certainly pay off my student loans, purchase a house, keep my mom/siblings financially comfortable, have enough to live well during retirement, and keep my current job.

But after that, I'd probably donate the rest of the money...

For me already, it's tough enough being a doc b/c people see me and think "$$$$$$." I'm a walking target. Now, add the title of being a multi-million dollar lottery winner to this?

That's a recipe for decades of inevitable headaches and stress. No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 10:19 PM

743 posts, read 766,683 times
I'd want everybody to know and have those with their hands out grovel. I'd take care of those I like and rub it in the noses of those I don't.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:42 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,015 times
Gee whiz, I've been having so much fun with this, I forgot a couple of places I would like to visit! Carmel, CA., Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Plymouth, and Sturbridge, MA., the Greenbrier Resort in WV., a week at the Alpine Resort in Egg Harbor, WI. [a childhood favorite], a Mississippi River barge cruise, a Mississippi Queen trip from Pittsburg to NOLA, and a New England Harbors boat cruise. And occasional railroad excursions!

Another town I would consider living in, if I won the lottery, would be Ann Arbor, MI. I've never visited there, but I have heard there are lots of old houses, great libraries, and a walkable downtown! Plus it is the home of the famous Old House Gardens nursery, another place I would like to visit and patronize.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:01 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,301,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You DO have the Love of money you just do not have the money otherwise you would not be wasting time daydreaming about money and details about how to use it.
A lust for money vs a need for money are very different things.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:05 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
A lust for money vs a need for money are very different things.
One day you might understand what I have said to you.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:27 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
I would give most of it away. I keep 20 million for myself,family and friends. For our feature , my kids and grand kids future.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:44 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
Hollyhock, CDS, glassof merlot, I like your posts and for sure you can come with!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-08-2015, 06:09 AM

4,032 posts, read 2,717,319 times
I'd set up 'emergency accounts'--my parents are 71 and 69, and my dad's already had a heart attack, so I'd like to have accounts full of money to help out with any emergency/unexpected medical things that crop up. (They have insurance, but in such situations, extra money laying about with at least help take some stress of things out of the equations.)

Pay off my house and set up another account to automatically pay off all the bills (power, cable, etc).

Splurge on at least one dream vacation--I've always wanted to go to Australia, so I'd do that for certain.

Set up a savings account of a couple thousand, for just in case.

Probably set up the rest of the money in such a way that I only get 'paid' so much of it a month--this way I'll have money coming in every month for the rest of my life, no matter what else happens, but I also can't blow through all of it at once.

I can't decide if I'd want to quit working or not. On one hand, I'd get bored (and probably anxious that something could happen to the lottery money and I'll be sorry if I don't have a job to fall back on). On the other hand....there's a number of volunteer opportunities that I wouldn't mind pursuing if I didn't have a need to work.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:28 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
I call BS on most people saying they would "give it away!!!"

Sure, i would give SOME away, but i would also invest in things that make life easier for myself. And it has little to do with "consumerism" or status. For example:

-- I HATE *the process of* TRAVELING & AIRPLANES- so i'd buy a private jet! Or at least set up a "first class fund" for myself and loved ones.

-- My cooking is "so-so"- so i'd hire a personal chef! (and pastry chef since i love fresh baked goods!!)

-- I LOVE CATS- so maybe a bigger home with more cats and a vet on retainer!

-- I love learning so more education- $200k easy.

-- I HATE HATE HAAAATE the winter, but i like certain things about where i live- so i'd buy a "winter home."

-- A personal trainer who could motivate me to work out because i am bad about doing it on my own....

-- A HUGE ART STUDIO with the finest materials!!

-- I'd change careers to something i am more passionate about.

-- I'd buy a bunch of businesses for the sole purpose of having places i like to frequent - like yoga studios and bakeries- STAY OPEN PAST 5pm!!

-- I would set up scholarships and grants for adults who want to go back to school or start a business.

-- Start a clinic for Circadian Rhythm disorders.

And that is just the beginning......

Old 10-08-2015, 07:54 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
I'd probably just keep ranching until I used it all up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness