Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 09:51 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,616,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Even if you'd laid in a good stock of supplies it wouldn't take long for other people to show up.
lots of people think like that, usually people that haven't bothered to research the subject, they just make bland statements without thinking it through. maybe in a city or large urban centre. depends on how quickly the event takes hold, most people wont get out of a city alive.
take a look at this, written by one of your own: http://survivalblog.com/the-harsh-tr...out-of-cities/

Last edited by bigpaul; 10-18-2015 at 10:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 12:42 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,448,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
you really believe that don't you? oh dear! things have never been on such a knife edge before as they are now, on other sites they are talking about "WW3" yet people here deride me for being prepared, oh well, it wouldn't do if we all did and thought the same would it? be a boring old world if we did.
Yes. I really believe that it's far more organized now that in, say...the time of the Vikings. Or the Middle Ages. Or the 1940s. Or just about any time.

Study some history.

Chaos is a given.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:46 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,220,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I used to think of America (and by extension the world in general) as the proverbial "house of cards" just waiting to collapse but I've realized something as I've gotten a bit older and wiser... this whole place is actually pretty damn adaptable! It takes A LOT to bring down the house when everyone wants to stay there and dance... and 7 billion people aren't just gonna abandon everything they've worked their whole lives for and go nutballs at the drop of a hat. Some would, sure... but the majority will NOT.

It turns out we aren't actually living atop a "house of cards" but across thousands of them, all constantly being toppled and rebuilt. While one part of whole is literally facing the Apocalypse (say, Syria or New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina) other parts are booming and growing. Booming areas then wither and fall over time while others rise to replace them, formerly destroyed places are rebuilt and the cycle goes on.

I've come to a conclusion... barring an actual global extinction event (which is about as likely to happen as me winning the Powerball jackpot in my lifetime) the whole thing simply simply cannot fall down... only pieces of it can and there are legions of people ready to run in remake them when they do. Things WILL change though... unsustainable systems will not stay around forever and will be replaced with new systems that you have to be ready to adapt to if you want to do well.

Human civilization is a mirror image of life itself on this planet... full of constant death and rebirth, churning, moving around, trying out every possibility and finally evolving to fit the circumstances of the moment. How can such a dynamic setup entirely come down?

The answer is that it can't, unless you can take out all the pieces simultaneously... and if that is what's required to collapse global civilization, all the "SHTF planning/mentality" in the world is worthless since you'd have to make the entire world literally uninhabitable to bring *everything* down.

Friends, as you prepare for the worst, don't forget to prepare even more for the probable. You will not likely see the "End of the World" in your lifetime, only the end of YOUR world... mostly likely through accident, illness and/or old age. What you WILL face is an ever-changing world of new hazards and opportunities. Prep accordingly.

preppers tend to think of prepping as their type of insuance. if you have car, health, home or life insurance, then you also believe in being prepaed for some things.
while some do not go as far as some others would, if a major depression happens again in the USA, lots of people are going to starve no matter what the feds have to say about it, if they are even around during the aftermath.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:39 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,505,081 times
I encourage the naysayers here to study the history and living conditions of peoples around the world just in the past 100 years. WW1, WW2, depressions, hyperinflations in Weimar Germany, Argentina, Zimbabwe; wars in Korea, Bosnia, Vietnam; the current living conditions of people in Greece; life under tyrants such as Hitler, Mussolini, Idi Amin, Pol Pot, Stalin, Mugabe, Mao Zedong. Go back just a bit further and look at the French Revolution, or the US during the Civil War/War Between the States, especially living conditions in the South.

We read of these things in history books and on the news, but seldom do we consider the day-to-day living conditions of the people there...and they don't improve for many, many years.

It would behoove many of you to have a look at these historical occurrences. I'm not talking about an asteroid crashing into the earth. I'm talking about things that have happened over and over in the past, and will continue to do so, as long as human nature remains as it does: monetary events, wars, revolutions, the rise of despots. "Oh, this is the USA, the 'land of the free', it can't happen here!". It can, it will, and it's just a matter of time. Suit yourself.

Last edited by Nor'Eastah; 10-18-2015 at 03:07 PM..

Old 10-18-2015, 03:04 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,279,329 times
Actually the Bible as we know it ( Old Testament / Jewish Koran ) has taught the World is Round for Thousands of years. Go figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
I am sure a lot of people said the same thing when that dude proposed Earth is not flat - I can just see the guys in the robes preaching in church about the "world coming to an end with such heresy". I think you should get out of the pajamas, call the shrink and get some sessions going - it can't be healthy to have so much negativity and despair kept bottled up

Old 10-18-2015, 08:13 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,716,852 times
Even a brief overview of history shows that it takes centuries for civilizations to collapse. That doesn't mean that personal disasters don't happen. I have been through a few. I was just thinking that I have gotten pretty slack and need to get my preps back into shape. My "Bug Out Bag" is a travel trailer. If the firestorm heads my way, I'm out of here. Thousands of people were burned out this last summer.

The east has hurricanes and tornadoes to deal with, plus winter storms that paralyze whole states.

Preparing to become a backwoods survivalist is just an idiot fantasy, but personal disasters happen ALL the time.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:27 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,220,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Even a brief overview of history shows that it takes centuries for civilizations to collapse. That doesn't mean that personal disasters don't happen. I have been through a few. I was just thinking that I have gotten pretty slack and need to get my preps back into shape. My "Bug Out Bag" is a travel trailer. If the firestorm heads my way, I'm out of here. Thousands of people were burned out this last summer.

The east has hurricanes and tornadoes to deal with, plus winter storms that paralyze whole states.

Preparing to become a backwoods survivalist is just an idiot fantasy, but personal disasters happen ALL the time.

I am not a backwoods survivalist, but I am happy to be away from the bright lights of a concrete jungle.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:16 AM

I don't care whether other people prepare or not, 99% of the population do not, I simply do not care about the fate of others, it is me and mine that I am preparing for.
people that say "it'll never happen" or "mankind is too big to fail" are living in cloud cuckoo land, I say we have come so far we just have further to fall is all, complaisancy is rife in the population at large, whether that is in the US or here in the UK, people are reliant on the system "from cradle to grave" and "self reliance" is looked on as something foolish.
I heard one guy about a year ago when there was a power cut being interviewed on the TV by a reporter and he said "its like living in the middle ages!" and the power had only been off for a couple of hours, gawd knows what he would say if it was off for days or weeks not just hours,but that is the attitude of the majority these days.
about 14 years ago we had a "fuel protest" in this country, supplies of fuel were cut off to all filling stations in a huge area, the public were warned about it in advance, we ourselves filled up the car tank and had some fuel in reserve in addition, but most did not heed the warnings, in consequence we had people running out of fuel all over the place, other running about like headless chickens driving all over the place using up what fuel they had trying to obtain more, I always fill up my tank when it gets down to half and have done so for the last 30 years but most people don't fill up until they are driving on the fumes....crazy, but that's what people are like when something happens to upset their cosy little world...crazy.
it dosent have to be some big event, forget about asteroids and the like, its the little things that will tip the balance in an emergency, food, water, power and shelter being the main ones.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:57 AM

Most people in the western world are unfamiliar with even recent history and current events, they have no idea just how common disasters really are.
they assume that they will always have access to modern luxuries: electricity, air conditioning, fresh water, affordable food etc.etc., consequently humans are more helpless than ever before, for example even some adults are unfamiliar with the use of a manual can opener, if the can dosent have a ring pull they cannot open it.
they wont find out just how helpless they are until SHTF, when that happens without skills or supplies they wont last long, a few basic survival items could mean the difference between life and death.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:40 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,605,177 times
In other words TS put faith in clock like work of the global production-transportation network run on the behalf of the proverbial top 1%, as well as in the limitless capacity of human brain to come up with new resources to exploit and new ersatz replacements for the products/resources that became extinct or unaffordable. TS bases his faith on the human performance in the past, when people could trash the place and move on, or they could deplete surrounding lands to rebuild what they trashed.

Unfortunately, there are some problems with the above scenario. Global world is 100% explored, populated, and extractable resources mapped. There is nowhere to run, no pristine, pre-industrial lands to explore and to exploit. 7 billions of humans are not active agents, most of us are cogs in the machine we dont own, run or comprehend, our specialized labor has value only if we are a cog in the working machine, it is thoroughly useless otherwise. A slighest trouble (a primitive man could simply ignore) would do some nasty things to 7 billions hungry cogs. Global machine is very fragile and it's cancerous, it must grow or it must collapse. So TS should believe not just that the machine would survive whatever, he must believe that the global machine can keep on growing endlessly on the finite Earth surface. That is a lot of faith to have. Unfortunately #2, we are trapped, we must do what machine wants us to do or it is immediate collapse vs. delayed one. Of course, positive attitude helps lemmings a lot to run to the cliff without obsessing about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness